Regner SKGLB #1(Stainz sister engine)

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Regner SKGLB #1(Stainz sister engine)

Post by artfull dodger » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:27 pm

Just bought this engine off the past editor of Garden Railways Magazine over here in the USA. Been on the top of my "want" list along with the actual Stainz #2 that Regner did followed by the U series 0-6-2T's Got this one for a good price and already on my side of the big pond. Thinking about repainting the cab into green to better match my LGB Stainz but wont decide that for a bit yet. Planning to add a whistle kit and RC control of everything. Right now she is all manual control, built from a kit by him. He said she is still quite stiff with very little run time since being built. Does anybody here happen to know the works numbers for the two SKGLB Stainz style steamers? I want to get Narrow Planet works plates as the model lacks them on the steam dome. M
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Re: Regner SKGLB #1(Stainz sister engine)

Post by Keith S » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:58 am

I don't have an answer to your query, but when you get around to running this, it would be cool to see a video. I find the external Stevenson's valve gear very interesting to watch.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:57 am

Lovely loco - enjoy it!

Andrew.

SKGLB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SKGLB » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:34 pm

Hi Mike,

Serial Nr. 2324, Krauss Linz, 1890

like this

http://mzb.bplaced.net/schilder/kat/LGB ... r_Priv.pdf Page Nr. 4, Top 1, left.

Greetings from Austria
Gerald

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:08 pm

Thank you Gerald!!! A friend with a both a 3d printer and vinyl cutter is going to make me reproductions for my carrying case and I will be ordering works plates from Narrow Planet for her. Looking forward to getting home from work tomorrow to steam up my new engine on my rolling road. Mike

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:17 am

artfull dodger wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:08 pm Thank you Gerald!!! A friend with a both a 3d printer and vinyl cutter is going to make me reproductions for my carrying case and I will be ordering works plates from Narrow Planet for her. Looking forward to getting home from work tomorrow to steam up my new engine on my rolling road. Mike
Don't forget the video, then.

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:13 pm

I will take some when I run the engine, both on the rolling road and at the steam up next weekend. Waiting for the "big brown truck" right now to make the delivery so my wife and I can go to the Chinese buffet for dinner. UPS usually comes around 6-7pm. Mike

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:00 pm

She arrived safe and sound, and very cold from spending the day in the delivery truck. So while she warmed up on my bench, my wife and I went out for Chinese. Once back home, I oiled her up and give her a shot, several stalls requiring a nudge to the motion to get her running again were needed. The previous owner built her from a kit and said she had no run time, so still very stiff. Once the water was low in the glass, I shut her down, reoiled everything and got out my blocks instead of the rolling road to reduce the load on the chassis. I also opened up the adjustable oiler, to much in fact as it consumed it all in the next run till the water went low. So for todays break in runs, I have it set at 3/4 of a turn open from the closed position. I remember how much fun and frustrating it can be to get these oilers dialed in. I will paint one of the valve wheel spokes red today to keep track of where its set at. I am also thinking about opening up the valve chests to recheck how well he has the timing set. He is a very experienced live steamer, so I suspect its spot on, but things can shift when everything is new and stiff. I also made up a chuff pipe as the open pipe in the smoke box like to shoot water/oil skyward and being down in the smoke box really left little if any plume while running. Looking at a RCS control unit for the future RC(I dislike big twin stick radios) and I already have a DSM2 reciever on hand. Just need micro servos and mounts from Regner, along with their whistle kit and heat resistant lamps that fit the lanterns(front one gets quite hot). Silvered reflectors and gold trim rings on both lanterns finished up last nights improvements. Going to leave the cab black for now. Hopefully some new pics and a short video today if she behaves better. Size wise, she is nearly the same a RH Billy, but with a much higher level of detail and heavier as the cab is cast brass sections bolted together. The rubish Regner gas filler valve will be swapped out for a Ronson one very soon! I could deal with its different style of filling, but I lost the plastic tip for my Regner gas can adapter as it works better on Ronson valves without the tip. so filling the Regner ones is a real pain in the bottom. Mike the Aspie

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:51 pm

Nice engine, I think the odd filler valve will be the only drawback on this locomotive. Beside the same odd filler valve my Regner works like a champ. I also changed the valve for a romson type.
Keep the water level in close guard though, Regner locomotives tend to use more steam then a roundhouse loco. A refill valve for the boiler is a good investment. May be it's a bit different with slide valves like yours though, mine has piston valves.
Very nice valve gear, they modelled the inventive system completely and in full working order. Great fun to watch!
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:28 pm

I have Regners gas can adapter which works with their gas filler valve and with the Ronson type(which I will be fitting to the Stainz). The engine has water top up already fitted, via the upright funnel along side the boiler. Yes Regners do like thier water and steam. I had a Willi at one time and have a Konrad on its way to me now. All that proper valve gear adds up to lots of stiffness right now. Still wont self start on the rolling road unless I really open up the throttle or nudge the motion. Its getting better with each steaming though, I can throttle down lower and lower each time without the drivers stalling from friction. Even my Roundhouse Lady Anne kit needed some good run in time before she would smoothly self start. Our local steam group has a steam up a week from today, the Stainz will get some good track time then with a light load. Might have to run faster than I like, but once things get run in, she should look great pulling my LGB coaches. Mike the Aspie