TVT - Hayden Bros. Tram

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
GTB
Driver
Driver

Re: TVT - Hayden Bros. Tram

Post by GTB » Fri May 11, 2018 4:50 pm

philipy wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 5:04 pm As an aside, I have distant cousins in Bendigo ( been there since the 1870's) but apart from the gold mining, I know next to nothing about other aspects of the area, so thanks for this logging info as well.
My lot had been here for a couple of generations by the 1870s. The first one to arrive was given an all expenses paid ocean cruise to Sydney, before there was any other destination in Oz.......... 8)

Anyway........

The nearest thing to a timber industry in the Bendigo region was based on supplying firewood to the mines and by my time only sleeper cutters operated in the local state forest. The little Baldwin tram worked in the Otways after it's rebuild, which is a range of mountains on the coast 250km SSW of Bendigo, where it is wet enough to grow really big trees.

This Aust. Govt. film on Youtube shows the Eastern Aust. timber industry in the postwar years, but before major modernisation took place. Mostly taken in Gippsland in Eastern Vic. Prewar they would have been using horse or bullock teams and timber trams, instead of the war surplus bulldozers and trucks in the film. The rail loco that appears is one of the Days tractors we were discussing recently in another thread. What's left of the timber industry is still the most dangerous occupation in Aust.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wlh6uMYLoL8

Regards,
Graeme

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: TVT - Hayden Bros. Tram

Post by dewintondave » Sun May 13, 2018 9:16 am

Excellent build Graeme!
Best wishes,
Dave