Bassett Lowke Super Enterprise in LMS Crimson Lake

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Bassett Lowke Super Enterprise in LMS Crimson Lake

Post by artfull dodger » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:36 am

Here is my new BL Super Enterprise, she arrived from the UK on Monday this week, test fired just the burner that night, then ran the engine under steam on blocks on Tuesday evening after I got home from work. Took about 10 min of running to free up the chassis from many many years of not being run. Nice smells of dust burning when I first lighted the burner under the boiler. Finish appears to be original, I did touch up the burnt off black paint on the running boards and splashers. Planning to pick up a few of the BL Clockwork LMS engines in the next year or so along with a live steam Mogul. As long as my job holds out and the money keeps coming in that is! Mike the Aspie
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Bassett Lowke Super Enterprise in LMS Crimson Lake

Post by daan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:54 pm

I've seen them on ebay a few times. I thought they where a new batch, but obviously they are not. What sort of cylinder valves are used? Since it has joints in the pushrods, I guess they are fixed cylinders. So they have to have some kind of valve system..?
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:30 am

There are slip eccentrics inside the frame, yes fixed cylinders, throttle valve and whistle in the cab. This is an original, only the Mogul was reissued in live steam by the Corgi/BL and made in China. This one is 100% UK built. I actually may pass it on and just stick with 45mm gauge engines.

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:36 am

You could use this locomotive with Lionel, MTH or K-line 3 rail track I guess. You have them plenty in the US and for reasonable money..
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:12 pm

There are a couple well known dealers in the UK to source these vintage beasts from. Station Masters Rooms is one, and Vintage Hornby(Mike Delaney) is where I got this one from. Both have excellent prices and get in both collector grade models and ones that are more for operation with the normal scorched paint that pot boilers are prone to. Both had Bassett Lowke and Bowman live steamers in stock. Dealing with some burner issues right now, getting very hot by the time steam is reached and having vapor fires in the cab from that heat. Thinking the wicks might need renewed. Would like to find someone to build me a wick style burner to replace the vaporizing one. If it wasnt for the seam in the boiler right above the fire(rolled boiler/fabriacated on this model) I would go to a Bix ceramic gas burner with the tank in the tender. And yes, I can/will run on Lionel 3 rail track till I can afford and source nice 2 rail track for her. Hornby 2 rail track can be found in the USA, and Atlas O offers 2 rail track that is suitable for outdoor use with UV plastic sleepers and nickle silver rails. Mike the Aspie