Regner project

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Keith S
Driver
Driver

Re: Regner project

Post by Keith S » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:05 am

I think she looks excellent with your cab design. She has quite a Swiss look, in my opinion, although I cannot tell you what it is about it that makes me think that. I think I saw an engine with similar lines in the Lucerne museum.

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:14 pm

On holidays we went to the Wallis area in Switserland, where the "Dampfbahn Furka Bergstrecke" is situated. Their locomotive number 1 has a cab which looks a bit like mine:

Wheel configuration is a bit different, but the windows and shades are similar. I guess the shades are there to prevent dust and grease to stick on the windows when driving in tunnels, since I've noticed that a lot of locomotives don't have them..
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:20 pm

The blue is a Very similar shade to the Roundhouse blue. I nearly got my loco in blue I was so taken with it.

Can't wait to see your loco finished, but don't rush the painting stage.

Ian
Ian

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:00 pm

I understood the spectacle shades are generally to keep snow ice build up, which would be annoying..
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:12 pm

I found another photo of one of these loco's, where the paint sceme on the roof can be seen. They have black roofs and black watertank tops. It does look pretty, so i'll use these paint sceme's as a guidance to mine.

I do like the lining as well.. And it can be applied to my other loco's as well.. Hmmm... :scratch:
I've to wait how it looks when finished, then I can decide if other loco's can follow the same route.. With golden "DBS" letters on the tanks (Dampf Bahn Schwägalp) with the nameplates under them and thin golden lining..

They do look pretty in this outfit..

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:43 pm

Today I made some steam runs to see if I can reach the switches and levers with the roof in place and what the performance of this little engine is. I filled the water untill it was in the top of the sight glass and after oiling the machine and adding steamoil, I lit the burner. To my big surprise, the water level in the sight glass drops when the pressure rises.. So i added more water, untill the gauge was reading full again, but again it dissappeared slowly.

So I checked the machine on leaks, none was found. (Which would be odd anyway since I pressuretested the boiler before). So I pumped in more water, and this dissapeared as well.. I rocked the locomotive, water level was responding..

Since I knew the boiler was full and didn't leak, despite the low level in the glass, took it for a spin. No problem, ran for about 15 minutes (it has a small boiler) until the gas ran out. I let out the pressure by activating the whistle and the water level came to 1/4 above low level. Rocked the locomotive and water level responds okay. So there is probably a difference in surfacearea on the top and bottom of the sight glass, causing the sight glass to have a pressure difference when the boiler is under pressure, so pushing away the waterlevel. I removed the debris and cleaned the armature before, so there is no obstruction as far as I know.

The other thing is the gas filler valve. I'm used to roundhouse fillervalves, and they take about 45 seconds to fill their tanks. This one sort of "shoots" the tank full and you cannot sense if it's leaking fluid because the tank is full, or because you pressed the valve to deep down. In de latter situation, gas runs out almost immediately, in the first situation, operation is about 20 minutes. It's also a bigger valve than the one roundhouse uses.

So she has some character. Otherwise, she runs like a charm. The "chuffer" I fitted (a brass model exhaust for a fishing boat) is performing very well and gives a great sound, also keeping the hot water inside the firebox. She has power for 2 or 3 LGB cars but I have to level out my railway a bit, on a flat track I guess 4 or 5 are easily possible. Also the whistle works well and there are no leaks on the armatures.

After about 1,5 hours of continuous operation (stopping for filling water, steamoil and gas) I'm getting to know her a bit and everything, apart from the level glass and gas fillervalve, worked well.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:29 pm

That sounds like the joys of steam engines. They all have character and are individual. No two are alike in my experience.

12 inch to the foot ones are just the same.

For me, that's the charm and appeal.

Glad you enjoy her.

Ian
Ian

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:23 pm

I sorted the gas filler valve.. It has a Regner valve, and this one looks like the ones used on the roundhouse loco's. A pipe which can be pressed down. I thought it was a pipe, but it wasn't. It's just a rod with a hole in it and the hole is a dead end. So I took it apart, and drilled a small hole at the end of the pipe and made a gasket on top. This way it works the same as the ones roundhouse uses, without any leaks or other problems. I can fill the tank properly and the loco has a lot more steam. It had a succesfull 20 minute run with 4 cars without having to refill gas or water. The problems with the waterglass sorts itself out when the boiler is under constant pressure. Before the burner had to be relit every 2 or 3 minutes because gas ran out that quickly, giving the pressure no time to balance out. It now reads a logical visible level when running.

And I've made a turbogenerator, some pipework and some dummy headlamps for it. And another chimney is made to fit, a bit longer. Soon it can be painted and then it's ready for service!

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:34 pm

Just pictures this time..

She's got her colour!!!! :D :D :D

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:46 pm

She looks very smart.

You've done a great job. Well done.

Ian
Ian

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:14 pm

Thanks Ian,

Today the loco went on the track, the gastank fills up to the brim and lasts for about 45 minutes. The only problem I found was that the burner stopped because my chuffer is too deep in the chimney. Steam fills the smokebox sometimes, and that causes the fire to go out, because it presses away the oxigene.
I've now mounted the chuffer a bit higher, so this problem should also be over.

Her power is enough for 4 or 5 cars, probably more after running in properly.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:21 pm

I have a chuffed in my Lady Anne. The steam sometimes comes out under the boiler and smokebox in a most unrealistic manner. I might remove it as it appears to be more trouble than it's worth.

I'm quite taken with the blue livery on your Regner. When (if) I get my next loco it will be blue or black.

Ian
Ian

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:05 pm

That is very nice, your engine looks great. Thanks also for the pictures of the Swiss locomotive. You're right, perhaps that was the one I was thinking of. In any case, your little one has the same character. Congratulations on your successful build!

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:51 pm

Thanks for the compliments guys, the colour I've used is Motip carpaint. It's a few coats of royal blue and a few coats of clear halfmatt laquer to protect the paint. After harding it's fairly strong, I managed to put the handrails on without chipping anything. And it copes with the temperature very well.

Only the boiler armatures and smokebox is painted with heat resistant paint, that gets too hot for normal paint..

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Wed May 23, 2018 6:29 pm

After a lot of hassle with the Regner gas filling valve, I build a Romson type valve in it today. I had one left from a small gastorch. I can't figure out why the Regner doesn't work,thought I figured it out the last time, but it was only for a lucky few shots.. Ìnstead of a meager 15 minutes running time, the loco got 45 minutes out of it, needing water refilling in between, but no gas.. Works a lot better this way.