Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Tony Bird
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: My version of 'Ellie'

Post by Tony Bird » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:42 am

Hi Chris,

Tony, I am puzzled by the particular way you do the air holes :scratch:
Is it because the filing improves performance in some way? or is it just to make hole drilling easier?
Hope you can elaborate, please.

As you suggest it is to make drilling the hole easier. It is never easy to drill what is quite a large hole through a rod accurately and even more difficult to do it in a thin wall brass tube that has been annealed. Even putting a centre in the tube can flatten it unless it is supported inside, jigs can be made but I have found that filing a half round flat across it makes it easier. The flat is filed so its length is about the same as the hole required sometimes doing this breaks though into the tube if not a small drill held in a pin chuck is used the create a hole. With this hole a small hole the other side of the tube can be drilled because it can be supported outside. With a hole on both sides of the tube it is made larger using a round file or if you have one a brooch. Slowly increasing the size of an air hole on a burner tube can be useful as it allows small adjustments of the gas/air mix. About the largest practical hole in a 1/4" K&S tube is 4 mm.

Regards Tony.

bambuko
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by bambuko » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:17 am

That's cleared it - thank you.
I am following your thread with interest because I want to use similar burner in my loco :thumbright:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:16 am

Have a great weekend Tony…I’am sure there will be loads of interest and questions to answer.