New Addition to the CCLW Roster

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

New Addition to the CCLW Roster

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:59 pm

Happy New Year.

Not been posting on here for awhile, so hopefully this helps to correct that situation.

Last year I resisted the temptation to buy more locos (it was when my main pensions matured, taking the lump sum options), but I cracked just before Xmas buying not one but two locomotive kits.

My main weakness with locomotive kits is spray painting, so when I saw the Ruby kits (pre-painted) were available again I was tempted. Accucraft UK were selling them for £555 RRP, but I noticed Maidstone Engineering were selling the Ruby #2 kit on eBay for £525:50, but curiously only £475 from their website direct (they currently have 2 listings on eBay at both prices). I ordered one from their website & it arrived promptly on Dec 21st. I had just been invited to a 45mm running day on Dec 27th, so the race was on to see it I could complete it & get it run in before then.

These kits were originally provided in a nicely laid out box with foam inserts.

Accucraft Ruby Kit Packaging.jpeg
Accucraft Ruby Kit Packaging.jpeg (26.04 KiB) Viewed 5348 times

They are now provided in a plain cardboard box which is surrounded by thick polystyrene blocks for safe shipping, with all components labelled in ziplock bags.

CCLW New Addition 05.JPG
CCLW New Addition 05.JPG (301.44 KiB) Viewed 5348 times
CCLW New Addition 06.JPG
CCLW New Addition 06.JPG (224.33 KiB) Viewed 5348 times

Chassis went together OK until the lower boiler mounting plate. This was a very tight fit (stripping one bolt) leaving the front axle binding. The ends had not been bent to the required dimensions, after re-bending it fitted better & did not affect the front axle.

After adjusting the reversing & cylinder piston valves, I set up the eccentrics for outside admission (as done in the factory, I'll try this first then compare it with inside admission later). However something was not right as there was a restriction at rear dead centre on one side, and I could not get a full rotation using a foot pump. After re-adjusting all 3 piston valves it turned over very nicely using the foot pump.

The kit was completed to the point before fitting the side tanks & cab to allow running in on blocks to begin.

The kit is only supplied with assembly instructions, and I could not find any operating instructions for the Ruby #2 online, but found a set for the Ruby #5. The important information, as the boiler has neither a sight glass nor water level check valve, is to remove 30 mls of water from a full boiler. Unclear what pressure the safety valve is set for - original Ruby's were 30PSI, but the boiler certificate provided with the kit allows 60PSI operation?

2 problems occurred on its first run. The regulator was very tight on its threads, was not fully closing, and the brass knob on the end gets seriously hot. I fitted a regulator I removed from a Ragleth Mark I (this is longer than the kit one) together with a plastic knob, and subsequently fitted a replacement regulator from The Train Department for finer control.

The gas filler valve was venting a lot of gas whilst filling & I could not get the tank properly filled. The burner was also a bit erratic on the first couple of runs (going out quite often) - I'd meant to flush out the gas tank before fitting. After fitting a replacement gas filler valve I then found that a full gas tank was outlasting the boiler water content so fitted a Goodall valve to add water during a run.

The runs progressed well, with the latest one achieving 19 mins running time. I then decided to clean the gas jet & fit a chuffer pipe from Milton Locomotive Works. This is meant for fitting to my Edrig, and I think with the narrower & tapered chimney on the Ruby it may have beene causing problems, as the burner was erratic again and went out several times during the run which I terminated early.

Chris Cairns

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Re: New Addition to the CCLW Roster

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:09 pm

Refitting the original exhaust pipe sorted out the burner. As you will see if you watch the video, recording came to an abrupt halt due to external interference! This run last 21:45 mins.

The running in process continued well, with running times slowly increasing - 19:00, 19:30, 21:45, 23:20 & 24:25.

We'd had snow in Central Scotland, so I needed to wait to hear from our host if the running day was still going ahead & check the relevant road conditions. I would also need to use mixed gas due to the low temperatures - the gas tank is marked butane only but comes with a 600 PSI test certificate.

Chris Cairns

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:16 pm

The St A & M Railway has gradients, so I was a little apprehensive about her first run on track, even more so after seeing a manual controlled Accucraft Bagnall derail before my go. I decided to initially run her back & forth on the level section, and after that went OK, off she went around the circuit achieving a run of just under 19 minutes. Very pleased with that result.

I do not have any 45mm track, but have a plan to create some dual gauge track for when I build my back garden & garden railway. Will keep an eye out for a cheap oval of 45mm track in the meantime.

I've just ordered a pressure gauge from Accucraft UK, although they did not have a banjo bolt type syphon tube, so will need to wait & see if the supplied syphon pipe will screw into the Ruby's steam turret bushing.

Chris Cairns

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:59 am

Chris Cairns wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:59 pm
They are now provided in a plain cardboard box which is surrounded by thick polystyrene blocks for safe shipping, with all components labelled in ziplock bags.
Looks like working with Aster is starting to rub off. Aster kits come packed that way, with all the small parts packed in a myriad plastic bags with a list of the contents inside each. Even the parts label design looks similar..........

I thought Accucraft had changed to inside admission in forward gear, but if they are still using the old setup on the Ruby I'm not sure there's any real advantage in changing it around. Although it may reduce wear in the motion, if the model will only run in forward gear most of the time.

Bill Allen wrote an article in the US mag 'Steam in the Garden' (Issue 137) on modifying Accucraft piston valve gear by opening up the ports to improve the valve events. As built, the valve events are poor, as the valves open late and have exhaust lap, which is not a good combination for efficient running.

Bill also wrote an article in Issue 143 of SitG on how to hot rod a Ruby, which might be a step too far.....

Regards,
Graeme

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:15 am

Nice to see you back Chris.
I do like the Ruby kits and I have been very tempted, it would be great if a 32mm version was offered.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:18 pm

GTB wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:59 am
Bill Allen wrote an article in the US mag 'Steam in the Garden' (Issue 137) on modifying Accucraft piston valve gear by opening up the ports to improve the valve events. As built, the valve events are poor, as the valves open late and have exhaust lap, which is not a good combination for efficient running.

Bill also wrote an article in Issue 143 of SitG on how to hot rod a Ruby, which might be a step too far.....

Regards,
Graeme
Many Thanks for your reply Graeme.

I did find a lot of useful information online regarding the Ruby, although did not come across the porting modification (now found Bill's posting on a Forum).

So far I've not seen any evidence of differences when running forwards or reverse, but will need to wait until later in the year when there are 45mm running days.

Chris Cairns

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:24 pm

Big Jim wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:15 am I do like the Ruby kits and I have been very tempted, it would be great if a 32mm version was offered.
I've seen a couple of 32mm conversions, but in its current American loco style I do not think there would be sufficient demand for Accucraft UK to have a 32mm version engineered, and by the time you added a British or European makeover (different buffer beams, cab style, etc.) the added costs would make it less attractable?

Chris Cairns

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:28 pm

As a (cheaper) alternative to the propriety wooden locomotive boxes I obtained some Fat 50 Cal ammo boxes.

With the prospect of 45mm running later this year, I've put this Ruby into storage using one of these ammo boxes.

Ruby Loco Box S.JPG
Ruby Loco Box S.JPG (303.56 KiB) Viewed 5215 times

Accucraft UK only had a double union nut syphon pipe in stock, so I am trying to locate a double ended M5 x 0.5mm male union to fit that syphon pipe to the steam turret.

Ruby Pressure Gauge.JPG
Ruby Pressure Gauge.JPG (349.46 KiB) Viewed 5215 times

Chris Cairns

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:09 pm

With thanks to Graham Austin of Garden Railways Ltd. for turning down a Regner Part No. 30201 to make it a 30202, so that I could fit the Accucraft syphon pipe to the Ruby's steam turret.

Ruby Pressure Gauge 02.JPG
Ruby Pressure Gauge 02.JPG (359.11 KiB) Viewed 5159 times
Ruby Pressure Gauge 03.JPG
Ruby Pressure Gauge 03.JPG (349.81 KiB) Viewed 5159 times

I can now see the safety valve holds 50 PSI.

Chris Cairns