New Archangel Loco Works website

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
cncmodeller
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

New Archangel Loco Works website

Post by cncmodeller » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:19 pm

Just noticed Stewart has a new revamped website with some nice pictures of his new builds, including my Kerr Stuart 'Skylark', the latest Talyllyn locos look nice.

https://www.archangellocoworks.com/loco-builds-gallery

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Re: New Archangel Loco Works website

Post by laalratty » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:29 pm

Looks like Stewart is turning out some lovely models these days. I was lucky enough a year or three back to have a go with a virtually fresh out of the box two cylinder gas fired Sgt Murphey. The gas firing system wasn't great until the tank got warm, but once that settled it was a fantastic little runner.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:30 pm

And we moan about Roundhouse prices, I bet those locos cost as much as a 5" gauge loco!

cncmodeller
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by cncmodeller » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:52 pm

Those that moan about prices should have a go and build one! I bet the silence afterwards would be deafening!
There aren't many purchases you can make these days that hold their value.They're technically more interesting too with side tanks that hold water and onboard hand and crosshead feed pumps. The other two big manufacturers locos are great but apart from the shape they all seem to me to be mechanically identical.
Stewart's models are always interesting subjects and I have been very pleased with my C&M Kerr Stuart and VOR Davies & Metcalfe locos it takes me back to the early days I got into this scale.

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:37 am

cncmodeller wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:52 pm Those that moan about prices should have a go and build one!
Yes, you are absolutely right, but that doesn't take away the basic problem of...the price. It isn't aboout the quality of the build, the technical excellence, etc, I think that most people would agree that the Archangel stuff is probably well valued, IF you have that kind of money in the first place. It is quite simply that whether it is Roundhouse or Archangel, at £1500 up to 'the sky's the limit' most people with families, mortgages, pensions, etc, can only dream.
Philip

Killian Keane
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Killian Keane » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:25 pm

I would love to have an archangel for old times sake, and as said they are so much more mechanically interesting, but the prices are way out of reach of the common man (not that this isn't true of roundhouse etc)
Blokes with tea can build anything

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:45 pm

I am very pleased with my Brick, it was acquired from someone who didn't know what they had and weren't interested when I told them. (and it was very cheap, shhhh)
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:48 pm

And this is why we see so many Berties and Millies on garden railways. They are affordable for the average railway modeler. Or in my case, vintage Merlin's found on my side of the pond where they are not as popular and getting one back to the UK from the USA is an expensive date thanks to the taxes and import fees on the UK side. Love the Archangel engines, espically vintage ones from the beginnings of 16mm live steam. But like other bespoke models, they are just a thing of dreams for right now, as much as a classic series RH has become as well. Mike the Aspie
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:58 pm

I get a bit confused - many people say they can't afford the current crop of locomotives, yet there is very little interest in a simpler, more affordable loco. Is it a case of it has to be a scale loco or not at all? Personally I just like running live steam engines and am less concerned whether it is a scale model of the real thing or not.

Killian Keane
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Killian Keane » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:09 pm

Busted Bricks wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:58 pm I get a bit confused - many people say they can't afford the current crop of locomotives, yet there is very little interest in a simpler, more affordable loco. Is it a case of it has to be a scale loco or not at all? Personally I just like running live steam engines and am less concerned whether it is a scale model of the real thing or not.
For me its that I don't mind if its a scale loco but the only relatively cheap live steamers are mamods (their derivatives included) and the roundhouse basic series which are a bit omniscient for my liking, personally I'd just like a loco thats out of the ordinary, which invariably means a restoration project of an elderly loco, which are seemingly thin on the ground
Blokes with tea can build anything

cncmodeller
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by cncmodeller » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:17 am

Busted Bricks wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:58 pm I get a bit confused - many people say they can't afford the current crop of locomotives, yet there is very little interest in a simpler, more affordable loco. Is it a case of it has to be a scale loco or not at all? Personally I just like running live steam engines and am less concerned whether it is a scale model of the real thing or not.
None of my locos are freelance as I'm interested in the real thing, If it was just about running steam a Mamod stationary would probably fit the bill.

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:45 am

My only complaint with the RH basic series is the fixed gauge. Millie's lines are not my favorite, but I do like Bertie in blue or green. I love the RH generic classic engines, just a bit out of reach for atleast a couple of years still for me and they are going up again according to my last email from them on a Bertie price quote. The problem for the new models is as more and more of the older generation pass on, thier models from the earlier days come on the market. So for less than 1K us dollers, I picked up a Mayflower with all of its charm, dual gauge ablitiy and factory RC. Cant touch that with anything from RH, even used ones I had offered at that time. Heck, a US dealer has a Mayflower that is lined green, but needs the RC system fixed for $950 on his website and $800 opening bid on ebay with no takers. Seems those with money to spend want scale models and not generic. And those are nice, if you are able to afford them. I gave $750 for my Maestro in nearly brand new condition, even with the original instruction sheet. That suits my budget much better. Nothing against RH, but to keep hiking prices on models long past the point of paying for thier design work and becoming dated in the line up isnt a good idea IMHO. If they are going to do that, then update Billy, Katie and Lady Anne to the new boiler with the sight glass, add whistle option if the buyer wants one. If they can make a Garrett, then they can swing a whistle set up that is RC like Merlin and Pearse used to offer. Make the basic engines more appealing. Just my thoughts for what they are worth.
us

cncmodeller
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by cncmodeller » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:23 am

I only wish if that somebody did a cheap loco that the chassis had the cylinders and wheel arrangement that could be made into a scale loco. Too many of these freelance locos have god awful driving wheels and too long a wheelbase that is no good for a lot of real engines, so that's why I never buy them.

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:23 pm

cncmodeller wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:23 am I only wish if that somebody did a cheap loco that the chassis had the cylinders and wheel arrangement that could be made into a scale loco. Too many of these freelance locos have god awful driving wheels and too long a wheelbase that is no good for a lot of real engines, so that's why I never buy them.
What full-size loco would be good to base a chassis like that on?

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:56 pm

Depends on your prototype and what country you want to model. For the USA, I would say a USRA 0-8-0 or 0-6-0 as many more wheel arrangements can come from that basic chassis with different pilot and trailing trucks. Outside frame engines are not as common in the states, even most narrow gauge outside of the bigger mikados in Colorado, were inside frame. Personaly, I would take a 1:20.3 model of one of Argent Lumber Co's little moguls. As far as from Archangle, I will take a classic brick or Sgt Murphy.

cncmodeller
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by cncmodeller » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:37 pm

Busted Bricks wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:23 pm
cncmodeller wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:23 am I only wish if that somebody did a cheap loco that the chassis had the cylinders and wheel arrangement that could be made into a scale loco. Too many of these freelance locos have god awful driving wheels and too long a wheelbase that is no good for a lot of real engines, so that's why I never buy them.
What full-size loco would be good to base a chassis like that on?
Just take a look at the Bagnall catalogue, the smaller locos are either 0-4-2/2-4-0 or 0-6-0 with 6 spoke driving wheels with balance weights and inside framed. The coupled wheelbases are quite short but the 0-6-0s are just another set at the same distance apart. A chassis that could encompass all those wheel arrangements could do so many Bagnall/Kerr Stuart designs, they could come with the bland made up superstructure looking like no loco that's ever been seen and that bit could be thrown away and would give purchasers a chance to make something nice.

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:42 am

To put what a good bargain new generic models really are. In the July/August 1988 issue of Garden Railways laying on my lap is an add from Rara Avis Trains. They seem to be the main importer of Merlin live steam and other 16mm ish type stuff in the USA at that time. A Mayflower lists at $985, and the Hunslet 2-6-2t was $1950. Now I would say the average garden railroader makes a shade bit more $$ now then in 1988. I had just started high school in that year. So while they are not cheap by any means. The prices for most new models are not nearly as bad as they could be.

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:58 pm

What locos are actually made in US? I only know of the Cricket.

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:21 pm

nothing except maybe some bespoke models if you know the builder personaly. Everything is either China or the UK

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:11 am

To put what a good bargain new generic models really are. In the July/August 1988 issue of Garden Railways laying on my lap is an add from Rara Avis Trains. They seem to be the main importer of Merlin live steam and other 16mm ish type stuff in the USA at that time. A Mayflower lists at $985, and the Hunslet 2-6-2t was $1950. Now I would say the average garden railroader makes a shade bit more $$ now then in 1988. I had just started high school in that year. So while they are not cheap by any means. The prices for most new models are not nearly as bad as they could be.
I have thought this for years
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!