Tram engine 'Ellie'

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Tram engine 'Ellie'

Post by Busted Bricks » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:40 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:04 pm I am up for moving away from brass body's to steel.

Maybe you could look at producing body kits for Accucraft and Roundhouse locos.
That is certainly a possibility but will probably require purchasing the locos to work from and I'm not sure I will be able to afford that.

Ripon
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Ripon » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:42 pm

Just noticed on Camden’s site that a body kit is now available for Ellie. Did some work on the engine parts today but may have got too far ahead of myself because the bearing holes in the engine mount are going to need adjusting for my self cut gears (if I manage to make them that is). More pictures next week.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:46 pm

Good news,
I am sorry that your build thread has been a bit hijacked :D

Yes please regarding the pictures.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:22 pm

Yes, sorry for the hi-jack.

My copy of the book has arrived. The engine reminds me a lot of the first ever oscillating engine I built. Simple, but ran well.

Ripon
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Ripon » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:33 pm

Quick trip to second hand toolshop this morning and found a bit of brass to make the flywheel. Faced off to width and set up on a mandrel for turning to size. The same mandrel will be used for taking off the sharp edges on the wheel flanges.
20171118_164208.jpg
20171118_164208.jpg (25.04 KiB) Viewed 6238 times

Ripon
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Ripon » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:38 pm

20171118_170251.jpg
20171118_170251.jpg (27.58 KiB) Viewed 6157 times
Fywheel finished, sharp edges taken off and a small recess for appearance. Most of the rest of the parts for the engine. Piston is left oversize and will be turned to fit once it is attached to the piston rod, differs from the book and will just havea couple of grooves and no "O" ring.

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:43 pm

I really like how the lubricator is made. I'm also a syringe fill & empty kinda guy. I don't like the little drain screws used on many locos at all. Fiddly and easy to drop.

fcheslop
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by fcheslop » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:22 pm

Hi. Recently got my copy of the book and she looks a wee cracker
Not sure what the popular consensus would be concerning using a Cracker style cylinder.Hedgehog boiler and a few ball bearings here and there
Im thinking of building the Jackshaft version but need to work out what dp or module the gears should be as the info is a bit vague
are the frames the same length for both versions as I cannot see the dimension for the first loco or that may just be me
kind regards

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:51 am

Yes I agree the drawings do leave a little to be desired. However the dimensions are there but does mean that you have work a number of things out for yourself.
I don't think that really counts as a "begineer's" engine!
Phil

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:22 am

fcheslop wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:22 pm
Not sure what the popular consensus would be concerning using a Cracker style cylinder.Hedgehog boiler and a few ball bearings here and there
Im thinking of building the Jackshaft version but need to work out what dp or module the gears should be as the info is a bit vague
are the frames the same length for both versions as I cannot see the dimension for the first loco or that may just be me
The Cracker cylinder is probably too small to get any useful work out of it in an Ellie, as it is only 8mm dia x 11mm stroke, compared to the 10mm dia x 20mm stroke of the Ellie cylinder. I can't see the point to be honest, as the Ellie cylinder is just as easy to make and would develop two to three times as much power.

The original Ellie design uses Meccano gears, which are 38dp and it is geared down 4:1. Not a standard gear size, as Meccano lived in a little world of it's own, but used Meccano gears are available online, as are replicas.

Both frame versions are 204mm frame length, the only real difference is the jackshaft location, vs. the layshaft location in the original version. The frame length dimension is missing from the first drawing, but can be scaled off the drawing.

The jackshaft drive version was apparently developed so other sources of gears can be used. No particular gears are specified, so the steam motor mounting position will depend on the gears used. The jackshaft model in the book uses gears from r/c cars that are available cheaply on Ebay. They calculate out at 0.6mod, based on the quoted dimensions from one vendor. Search for '17T 64T steel gears' on Ebay.

Regards,
Graeme

fcheslop
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by fcheslop » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:21 pm

Hi Graeme,
Thanks for the info. I realise Crackers cylinder is a bit small and was meaning to make the cylinder like Cracker but with Ellies dimensions as I like the way Crackers big end also drags the cylinder around and helps reduce wear n tear, The name of the gentleman who came up with the idea escapes me at the moment and its featured in Stationary Steam. I tend to use KS tube for cylinders and not had a problem
Iv not read through just browsed the book at the moment so may have been asking the obvious.
The gears wont be a problem to make unless they are very cheap then I may open my sporran :D
Iv a few other builds to finish but cannot seem to get this simple little thing out of my mind so no doubt a start will be made sooner rather than later
I will do a separate post to save this one been taken of track any further
Good luck to all Ellie builders she seems to have caused a bit of interest and I notice Camden have already sold out of precut parts for now
kind regards
frazer

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:28 pm

The etch cut parts for my Ellie arrived today, I must say I'm quite impressed with the quality. All the dimensions that I have checked are within .01mm at least as accurately as I can measure. Now I've got something to fit the various turned parts that I have already made to, so must spend more time in the workshop even though it's a bit on the cold side.
Phil

fcheslop
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by fcheslop » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:12 pm

A wee bit cold here -8c this morning in the shop just to cold for a wimp like me
Good luck with the build and apologies for the butting in on youre thread
kind regards
frazer