Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:23 pm

Some time applied to plate work and some details here and there , then it will be time to plumb up the loco. Could there be a test steaming this summer ?

ImageIMG_6453 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6455 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:26 am

I'm no engineer, so some of the stuff on this thread is way beyond me, but those tank fillers are beautiful!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:56 am

I agree. They are done brilliantly.. :salute:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:37 pm

"Do you think management will be satisfied with this so far ?"

ImageIMG_6527 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6526 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6525 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6528 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6498 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:55 am

Dazza, that is looking really good :thumbright:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:30 am

Red Room crew working on cab hand rail stanchions. Same as the ones done earlier on the tender.

ImageIMG_6540 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6543 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6545 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:11 pm

Hand rails done, next is the roof

ImageIMG_6548 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6565 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6563 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6569 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:15 pm

Last weekend at the Mary Valley Rattler.
About to make an application

Image18th October 2021 S10 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

Shunting at the end of the day

Image18th October 2021 974 Photo by Mark Dorman by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

Blowing out the smoke box, while the fireman drops the fire.

Image18th Sept 2021 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

Photos by Mark Dorman

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:26 am

Interesting technique there, are you using a steam lance of some description to clear the smoke box but the door is closed. Can you explain please? I've only ever seen smoke boxes cleared the old fashioned way with a shovel.
Phil

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:00 am

pandsrowe wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:26 am Interesting technique there, are you using a steam lance of some description to clear the smoke box but the door is closed. Can you explain please? I've only ever seen smoke boxes cleared the old fashioned way with a shovel.
There is a bowl at the bottom of the smoke box with a steam jet nozzle poking into it from the left hand side, the right hand side has a pipe connected to this bowl and it exits on right hand side of the loco just under the running board. One opens the door in the end of this pipe and then up on the right hand running board one can open the round door on the side of the smoke box. You can see the hand rake's round handle protruding, the rake is inserted through the open hole so one can use the rake to push the ash about. One opens the steam cock on the side of the boiler and the picture is me opening the front cock, making sure no one is wandering into the firing line or there will be tears and foul language. The steam jet exits in the bowl and sucks ash out and blasts it out the pipe while you manipulate the rake. The smoke box is well cleaned out in a few minutes. Then shut and close every thing up. While this happening the fireman has opened the air operated ash pan doors, the blower is turned on, the drivers side ejector is started and the ash pan water cock is opened which douses the ashes with water. The grate is a fully rocking Waugh type and the fire is rocked and dropped straight down. We then roll off the ash, close the pan doors and roll back into the shed and spot the loco so the motion is in such a position so the next crew can oil up easily , cap the chimney and close all up. We can come in the next morning and still have pressure in the boiler if the regulator is not leaking. Do the paper work, shower, go to pub for a beer and meal and tell lies and tales about each other. Queensland Railways design department looked after crews, even 100 years ago the locos had these features. Shoveling plates and fire doors above knee height etc. It was all worked out for long days, hot weather, big storms and long distances with not so good coal.

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:26 am

Thanks for a very comprehensive explanation, I had not expected such detail. Interesting how Australian locos seem to be that more advanced with end of duty procedures than were seen here in the UK as far as I'm aware.
Phil

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:25 pm

pandsrowe wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:26 am Thanks for a very comprehensive explanation, I had not expected such detail. Interesting how Australian locos seem to be that more advanced with end of duty procedures than were seen here in the UK as far as I'm aware.

The unions looked after the crews and with the influences of the USA mixed with the UK designs so they got some good things going. Many of us look at Great Western Locos and pretty they may be but they seem barbaric for the crews. Fancy shoveling off the floor at the tender and lifting the shovel to the fire door, I suppose with many locos with sloping grates one mostly rolled it in through the door. With the C17 the grate is flat and 8 foot long and it is a trained technique to land it in the front corners while running on our lumpy track. However we have the best steaming coal in Australia and it is a joy to use.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:59 pm

Llewellyn Loco works number One is now a convertible.Management is quite jolly showing the chair of the board the convertible roof. Meanwhile head shop dog is pondering the cab beading with some concern. A small square magnet clips the roof down, works a treat. A wee bit of time on the 3D CAD to figure this out after being inspired after seeing Andrew Alison's "Jack" running at QSMEE Warner a few years ago.

ImageIMG_6613 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6614 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6615 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6616 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6617 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:22 pm

Cab window beading, 2 x 2 x 0.5 angle, 145 Solder
Cleaned up OK

ImageIMG_6625 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6631 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6639 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6640 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6645 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6649 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:27 pm

I had drawn up a tool box with tabs so the sides lined up so this was also in the little package from Model Engineer LASER, cooked up with 243 solder. This will hide the handle for the bypass valve.

ImageIMG_6633 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6646 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6648 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:53 am

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:27 pm I had drawn up a tool box with tabs so the sides lined up so this was also in the little package from Model Engineer LASER, cooked up with 243 solder. This will hide the handle for the bypass valve.

ImageIMG_6633 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6646 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6648 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr
Dazza your workmanship is astonishing, but more so your patience, slow and easy gets there, and it is looking great.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:33 pm

Monday night in the Llewellyn Loco works Red Room workshop. Some KNUPFER hinges and 0.80 rivets. All is going to plan for this tool box.

ImageIMG_6678 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6679 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6680 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6684 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:46 pm

Jimmyb wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:53 am

Dazza your workmanship is astonishing, but more so your patience, slow and easy gets there, and it is looking great.
Thank you. What I try to do is push my skills, I am only following what others have done before. My need to is to learn and get the reward of satisfaction of it working out. Each little project part of the loco build is an enjoyment. I am learning more each day as I had no idea of garden steamers. I am not a moderl, it is not my thing since Airfix kits in the 1970's. I do not intend to make another garden steamer as I want to move on to making a 5" gauge loco in detail. (QR C17 class # 253 as delivered in 1921) Painting is the process I dread the most, but I have Chris Vines book and a few others to assist me.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:06 pm

Dazza cries out to MAM
"Come see"

ImageIMG_6692 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6705 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6694 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6700 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:31 pm

That is exquisite. Each part is a little project in its own right.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077