Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:15 pm

To quell the rumours, I have no intention to produce kits or sell locos. I have no desire to sell drawings or any such like, I will share the drawings when they are proven. I want to enjoy my hobby of Model Engineering, get the Potters Orchid Railway operating and move onto the 5 " gauge locos and perhaps a 16mm Burma Railways # 9 . I may have a couple of left over castings from this project that I want to flog off when the time comes to move onto another project, but that is all.
Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:27 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:13 pm Take a break from it if it's becoming a 'job' to build the loco.

Hobbies are meant to be picked up when time and enthusiasm allows.
I hear you, I appreciate your comment, however I do like my time in the Red Room in the evenings.The links are in my mind are to be over come, it is like climbing a mountain, hard yakka, get to the top, make camp and boil the billy, sip the tea and enjoy a feed while looking at the view, another week or two on the links and I might have them licked and that will feel so good. I am keen to mount them up on the brackets and see them swing. I find if I do some painting or a wee bit of time on the kits or signals is a good thing. If there is still daylight I will prime the battery loco and flat top wagon. That eases me into the machine work. See you all in 2020 (2019 I think is too optimistic) .
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:54 pm

4mm Hex meets Myford to be come die block pins, I case hardened them with "Cherry Red". That was my Saturday arvo.
There will be the critics who will say, wear the pin not the link, but the pins contact the link with a round surface, unlike bigger scale die blocks, which have a surface to match the link. In my mind the curved surface will wear very quickly so hence I case hardened. In hindsight I should have gone the whole journey and made it a block with a screw through it, with milled surfaces to match the link. I suppose I still could and make it out of PB....................Pause. Next time eh

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:45 pm

Slow progress on the Expansion links, but getting closer to being done with them.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:32 pm

A wee bit more on the expansion links
drilled and reamed the 2.50mm trunnion pin holes and inserted 1.20mm brass round and riveted over, cleaned off the countersinks.
I am most pleased that these are nearly done. Got to go carefully to avoid ruining them with a dopey mistake or slip.

Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:17 pm

A wee bit more progress on the links, some previous filing buttons were in action.

Getting closer

another set of buttons for finishing off the trunnion supports

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:34 pm

After some dopey mistakes, redo some parts
aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
some progress

work begins on the link brackets

trial fit up

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:40 pm

Yum :mrgreen:

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:13 am

Nice!! I assume the link brackets are castings?
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:29 pm

daan wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:13 am Nice!! I assume the link brackets are castings?

Yes, I sent my CAD file to Mike In NZ and he does the 3D print of the waxes and then to a foundry and the silicon bronze castings come back to me.

I have a few spares left if any one wants a pair ?
and the same process was for my steam chest covers and I have some of those spare as well
:-)

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:37 pm

Exactly, 3d prints. I came across it this afternoon.. It never crossed my mind before that this is usable for live steam as well.. In fact: shapeways 16mm they seem to have a complete 16mm range.. :D and don't forget LGB as a search possibility.

This is the easy way..
Last edited by daan on Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:46 pm

daan wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:37 pm Exactly, 3d prints. I came across it this afternoon.. It never crossed my mind before that this is usable for live steam as well.. In fact: shapeways 16mm they seem to have a complete 16mm range.. :D
This is the easy way..
In the Model Engineering circles the 3D wax prints for investment casting is now very common. Lots of detailed parts with micro text etc. The direct printed metal links will be the wrong colour ! The 3D direct print still has a lot of problems and limited. It is good for some things but it is not the complete answer, pause....... just yet.
I have used 3D printed rapid prototypes in my bike making work since 2006.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:49 pm

I am using the filing buttons made and used on the expansion links.

I will finish off the trunnion shaft on the expansion links soon, the 2.50mm shaft is loctited in and I just need to cut off the material between the cheeks.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:49 pm

I am using the filing buttons made and used on the expansion links.

The brass shim has a hole punched in and is used to fill the buttons snuggly between the cheeks. I will finish off the trunnion shaft on the expansion links soon, the 2.50mm shaft is loctited in and I just need to cut off the material between the cheeks.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:31 pm

Out came the 0.50mm Carbide PCB drills last night and I put some oil holes in for kicks and giggles. I lay in bed thinking "I could make a brass oil cup 1.00mm in diameter and then put a 0.50mm passage way in these and Loctite them in, but, my sanity held on and I just drilled the oil holes. Next time eh!

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:58 pm

The staff at the Llewellyn Locomotive Works have with satisfied relief, are done and dusted with the expansion links. A big sigh of relief all round.

Mounted

Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:00 pm

Masterpiece!

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:20 pm

What was that he slipped into his pocket

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:52 pm

Absolutely great expansion link! Top notch!

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:16 pm

daan wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:52 pm Absolutely great expansion link! Top notch!

Thank you for the kind compliment, I also thank every one else for their kind compliments. The links drove me to almost a state of despair. Their is evidence of my mistakes, but not showing too loudly. If there is to be a next time, a new design and approach of the these parts will be looked at.