Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:23 am

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:47 pm I have to admit I can understand very little of this and am totally incapable of emulating any of it but I am glued to the process and progress and can only admire what you have done. I know how frustrating it can be with so little free time and a business to keep going too, life can seem short but boring...... never!
Thanks, it encourages me to keep posting the pics of the journey of this loco build.

As the late Douglas Adams said,

The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied

while I mention Mr Adams, I like this one as well

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:11 am

Working up my boiler drawings to take to Mr Inspector. The usual 3D then to 2D working drawings.
I am blind in one eye and I cannot see out the other, but going over the AMBSC Cade Part 3 Issue 2.00- 2017 Sub- Miniature Boilers ,
I cannot find a mention at all about barrel wall thickness. Only part 2.3.2 which mentions Max diameter 63.50m . No mention of wall thickness to comply with. :scratch:

I will be using 1.60mm wall, 50.80mm diameter. The original drawing which was in the May/June Issue of Australian Model Engineering has a barrel wall of 1.20mm.

The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

11thHour
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by 11thHour » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:10 am

Hanging out for the next installment
Tim

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:35 pm

11thHour wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:10 am Hanging out for the next installment
Tim

Tim, the next installment should be the final erection of the locos motion by the Llewellyn Workshop crew, and said with apprehension, testing on air.
:|

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:58 am

Looking forward to it.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:34 pm

Eccentric rods are on, and all goes around, a wee tight, set the valves, all seems to be in order, the covers to go on tonight.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:39 pm

That's really impressive. I wish I'd learned more workshop skills in my life. Too late now to teach an old dog new tricks.

I'm also looking forward to seeing it run on air.

Ian
Ian

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:41 pm

Looks great, looking forward to seeing it all move.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:59 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:41 pm Looks great, looking forward to seeing it all move.
I hope it moves. I am genuinely apprehensive. :| So far, it all is going together OK, I did pay a lot of attention to accuracy so I hope that has a pay off. I am not trying to rush this stage.
I used Loctite Flange goo for the chest to cylinder and the back cover, but to give easy pull down if required I am intending to use the good old oiled brown paper for the steam chest cover and front cylinder cover.
I hope it all pays off. It might be Kero lube for a while as it gets a good running in.
Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:39 am

Looking great Dazza… :thumbright:

You can’t go wrong with the old oiled brown paper though. :thumbright:

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:51 pm

Looks very tidy so far, now fingers crossed for pressured air testing!! :thumbright: :thumbright:
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:04 pm

Yesterday I took the afternoon off and caught the Sparky into town and attended a presentation of the "Sydney Mail" by Queensland Rails rail historian Greg Hallam. Met up with friends and after we paused at a cafe to tell stories where I noticed the brown paper bags for placing slices of desert into. I requested one paper bag along with my cup of tea, tossed some extra coin into the tip jar. After dinner, in the Red Room the paper bags use is realised. It was .06mm thick when dry. Print off the steam chest over and front cylinder covers in 1-1 scale. Some cello tape. Line up one of the previously made shim punches in the little mill Drill. (1.70mm for the 10 BA, 1.75mm would be better if I was into production mode) . Pressed some holes, then out with the sharp pointed scalpel. An oil soak and then fitted up the chest covers. It was fun.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:56 pm

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:04 pm It was fun.
Yes, I can see it..... no I can't. Fun must come in a variety of ways and that isn't one. However, if it works for you then that's fine and I really appreciate the attention to detail which will be completely hidden and unappreciated by non-techi morons like me.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:59 am

Thats the beauty of it Peter, you can’t see it and it works…… :thumbright:

Dazza, really great bit of work and well worked out too in making it. :thumbright: :thumbright:

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:37 am

I can appreciate this, well done.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:24 pm

Impressive engineering and attention to detail.

I am in awe.

Ian
Ian

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:39 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:56 pm
Yes, I can see it..... no I can't. Fun must come in a variety of ways and that isn't one. However, if it works for you then that's fine and I really appreciate the attention to detail which will be completely hidden and unappreciated by non-techi morons like me.
ABC jazz digital radio is on low, we have eaten and showered, MAM is down the corridor in her art room watching a utube on how to fit the Slomo to her Lady Ann frames. I click and drag the 3D model onto the 2D page a few times. I print this off. I ponder and experiment a few times, settle on a process and away I go. The results seem to have worked. It was all simple. The punch is made from a drill shank and a previously drilled piece of steel, used for making holes in brass shim. It was relaxing, enjoyable and a nice result. That is satisfying. That is fun. More fun to be added maybe next Tuesday as a good friend of mine does the hot test of # 967's new welded boiler and I will be attending, learn a bit more about the testing process and I will get to toss some black stuff onto its grate. That will also be fun, even if I have to get up at 3.30am and drive for 2 hours to be there for the match to be tossed in and after a long day of fun, the drive home again, but the drive home goes well as one reflects on the day and the things learned. The day will be chased with a couple of glasses of red. :P

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:50 pm

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:39 pm
Peter Butler wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:56 pm
The day will be chased with a couple of glasses of red.
Now we're talking fun!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:56 pm

Not a lot done last night, phone calls, customers and heritage railway related, however the front cylinder covers gaskets were cut out and the covers were fitted.
I read in the book that Brian Wilson suggests setting up the exhaust T before the steam T, I take heed of this and as I have not made the exhaust T I will start spinning some brass in the Myford tonight, before I knock off to watch Endeavour. (the only TV I watch all week) Maybe this weekend will be the air test.

I used an old compass that kicks about the workshop that I used circa 1978 during my schools days, I sharpened one the points to be a bit knife like and used it to scribe the circles, then a touch up with the Exacto scalpel.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:01 am

The Viton O rings did not sit well in the back of the exhaust sealing nuts,

So I grind a piece of 1/*" HSS to clear out a relief inside the nut. That went well.

MAM meanwhile is working on her Lady Ann frames.

Unlike me, she likes to paint

I assemble, the big event is getting close

I had to make a trip to that dreadful place called Bunnings, to get some 1/8 ID vinyl tubinng.
Rummage up some air fittings I had, turn a piece of brass and braze it into a fitting, rig it all up.

I call MAM to come and witness what is about to happen.

To be continued.