Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:40 am

I do agree with your outlook, far too many youngsters these days leave school/college/university with pieces of paper, no skills and worse, no imagination. Creativity is for us more senior persons.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:01 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:40 am I do agree with your outlook, far too many youngsters these days leave school/college/university with pieces of paper, no skills and worse, no imagination. Creativity is for us more senior persons.
I am not sure if it is any different now then back in the "insert decade" past.
The denigration of trades as being worthy seems to be greater in recent decades. Flawed that is. However the youth now will have to change careers and jobs every 5-10 years. That is hard!
"You have a job and it becomes an App on Thursday"

https://www.facebook.com/bbc5live/video ... 51526/?t=2
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:21 pm

MAM is learning about her little choo choo
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:26 pm

All went well via a few annealings for the firebox copper.

First time I have done this copper stuff.

Then via the Citric pickle to the mill to start the process of cleaning and squaring up the ends.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:44 pm

While I was trimming my fire box copper in the mill, MAM was working on her Lady Ann.

Con rods on, after some sorting out of rough edges and bent bits to get all to move properly.

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:15 am

Your copperwork looks great, Dazza. It will make a good firebox.
It's also great you can share your hobby with your partner, my misses thinks trains are stupid :lol:
And it's splendid that she's able to make her own locomotives! By the way: the manual she uses is also great. Is that book coming with the kit?

It's fun watching you two at work, you make good use of your workshop!
Cheers, Daan.
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:16 pm

The boiler making of a chap by the name of Rodger on another ME forum has lifted my aspirations for a clean tight work.
Machining my outer wrapper, getting all to .10mm for kicks and giggles.

and while I was milling MAM was progressing with her Round House "Lady Ann" kit.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:54 pm

daan wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:15 am Your copperwork looks great, Dazza. It will make a good firebox.
It's also great you can share your hobby with your partner, my misses thinks trains are stupid :lol:
And it's splendid that she's able to make her own locomotives! By the way: the manual she uses is also great. Is that book coming with the kit?

It's fun watching you two at work, you make good use of your workshop!
Cheers, Daan.
Thanks daan.
I landed on my feet with Mary Ann. (MAM) MAM turns her hand to stuff. She does not watch soapies and read magazines of fluff and gossip. We went walking in the rainforest on Sunday and she has the camera out, chasing birds and she ticked off a new one. That evening we were at the kitchen counter and I was doing some chores about the kitchen. MAM's voice rings out. "Exciting news, we got an "Australian Log Runner". :lol:
She gardens, Bonsai trees (which will look cool in the landscape of the POR), grows orchids, can weave and spin and does painting and pottery. She likes projects and doing stuff, she gets the books and reads and gets stuck in. Did I mention she can cook, my belly is evidence. What is very nice is that MAM prodded me to sate my model engineering, she encouraged me to get my back side involved with Heritage Railways as she understood it was suppressed inside me. MAM likes to garden and so the garden railway is part of this and we share the vision of the social occasions with friends and their families, food, wine and beer down the back with steam trains in the garden.
For some one to think trains is stupid, to think any hobby or deep interest in a subject is stupid is unfortunate , perhaps not understanding the intrinsic rewards it gives one. Watching commercial TV and the adverts is stupid in my mind. Listening to commercials has me wanting to slash my throat to end the pain. To me it is like sitting at traffic lights. Every minute whittled away is a minute of your life that will never be realised.

So what is not stupid ?

MAM and I get much enjoyment and excitement seeing each others projects and art etc. That is nice.

The book is the Haynes "Garden Railway Manual" It is a book I picked up some years ago as I had a small itch growing inside me with this vision of a garden railway. It has some pages following the build of a Lady Ann. I let MAM make this kit, it is not me on her shoulder unless I she asks or needs a tool location.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:40 pm

Away all of last weekend and I will be away all this weekend at the https://www.maryvalleyrattler.com.au/ , passenger ops is getting closer.
Thus the Red Room action has been a wee bit thin, but MAM is working on her Lady Ann kit and I have made a wee bit of progress on the front tube plate. Inspired by acquaintances and their use of CNC milling I am using my rotary table, boring head and then milling the size down. So far all is working splendidly. I know you can chop one out with hack saw and filing and simple drilling but this was to advance my skills for other things to come in the years ahead.

Next week I will bring it down to the final size.

MAM gets a few more bits on

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:46 pm

No fun in the Red Room this past weekend, but a big weekend with the 12" to the foot scale at the Mary Valley Rattler. Crew training and ticking off continues. I got to light up #974 for the first time. All the crews on task, on schedule and smiles all round.
Living the dream.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:02 pm

Great photo, it must feel satisfying being able to fire such a large loco!

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:28 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:02 pm Great photo, it must feel satisfying being able to fire such a large loco!
When I do the official over #974 to the driver and fireman who start their prep tasks such as oiling up before they take the loco out, the first question is
"How did it go, any problems Dazza ?"
My reply
"No worries mate, there is 120 on the gauge."
Their smiles were the most satisfying aspect of my early morning task.
It will be some time yet before I fire out on the branch, mean while I do more tasks and learning the road, which is a twisty and hilly branch line.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:33 am

If you let the safety valve blow off in the shed is that a school boy error? I think I read that somewhere?

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:59 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:33 am If you let the safety valve blow off in the shed is that a school boy error? I think I read that somewhere?
It is on the railway where I volunteer. The safety valve is tested as part of the FTR (fit to run) exam. For a light engine move loco's don't need full pressure. on a preserved railway in the UK running at 25mph full boiler pressure is rarely required, Any discrepency when blowing off in service by +/- 10 psi is booked by the driver at the end of the day. We are taught blowing off is a waste of coal water and effort.
Ian

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:55 am

IanC wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:59 am
tom_tom_go wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:33 am If you let the safety valve blow off in the shed is that a school boy error? I think I read that somewhere?
It is on the railway where I volunteer. The safety valve is tested as part of the FTR (fit to run) exam. For a light engine move loco's don't need full pressure. on a preserved railway in the UK running at 25mph full boiler pressure is rarely required, Any discrepency when blowing off in service by +/- 10 psi is booked by the driver at the end of the day. We are taught blowing off is a waste of coal water and effort.
Yes, silly and wasteful if it blows in the shed. You will impress no body with the waste and noise. No need to have more than 100 -120 in the shed as it does not take long to blow up when required.120 psi is plenty to start the WHB pump etc. (175psi max on our C17 )
If you are stabled for a reasonable length of time, 50psi is fine, just keep the fire alive.
We are not allowed in Australia to bank the fire by the code. After dropping the fire, close the air operated ash pan doors, run back in the shed, fill it up, cap the chimney, next morning there is still 10 -15 psi on the gauge.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:13 pm

So Dazza, I don't want to steer the conversation too far from your build, but with your wife and yourself both building a little garden locomotive for each of you, I am curious about where you will be running your locomotives. Do you have some rails in your garden, or will you be running them on a club track somewhere? I envy people in more temperate climes who have the ability to grow nice plants and have lots of time outside. In fact you probably have the opposite problems to me: It's only reliably above freezing where I live between perhaps mid-May and early September. As my house is new, I don't yet have a garden and when I do, it will be very small, and of course I will only be able to run butane-fired trains for maybe five months in a year. I'm very interested in the activities of people who live in other climates, because quite honestly mine makes me want to jump off a tall building sometimes. Are you interested in building rolling stock for these engines, or are you and Mrs.Dazza more interested in the engineering aspect of the locomotives themselves? Sorry for all the nosey questions.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:31 pm

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:05 pm

Keith S wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:13 pm So Dazza, I don't want to steer the conversation too far from your build, but with your wife and yourself both building a little garden locomotive for each of you, I am curious about where you will be running your locomotives. Do you have some rails in your garden, or will you be running them on a club track somewhere? I envy people in more temperate climes who have the ability to grow nice plants and have lots of time outside. In fact you probably have the opposite problems to me: It's only reliably above freezing where I live between perhaps mid-May and early September. As my house is new, I don't yet have a garden and when I do, it will be very small, and of course I will only be able to run butane-fired trains for maybe five months in a year. I'm very interested in the activities of people who live in other climates, because quite honestly mine makes me want to jump off a tall building sometimes. Are you interested in building rolling stock for these engines, or are you and Mrs.Dazza more interested in the engineering aspect of the locomotives themselves? Sorry for all the nosey questions.
Not nosey at all, forums are for chatting and sharing. As tom_tom-go has mentioned, MAM (Mary Ann Martin, dear and very clever wife) and I have started the Potters Orchid Railway in the back yard. One end is at MAM's pottery shed and one end is just below her Orchid house. When the 80 tons of soil and the house renos rolled in we designed and had a terrace built just for the garden railway. I most likely will not run at clubs as I have so much going on, full size stuff is a big part of my railway enjoyment. I most likely will not make rolling stock as I will be finishing my 5" gauge loco and then moving onto my magnum opus steam loco build in 5" so kit built or RTR rolling stock it will be. I am more a model engineer than a railway modeler. At this moment the rest of the signal kits are on their way from the UK. I have to make them up and all the lighting wires laid before the terra forming can begin. I am keen to start this but it will wait till time allows. I drove to Gympie last Friday arvo, did my prep work on #974, slept on a camp bed in one of the guards wagons (the senior old fellas had the four available beds) then up at 3.00am. Tossed the lit rags in at 3.45am. The needle moved at 5.00. I handed over to the crews being assessed that day at 6.35am with 120 psi on the gauge. Then later I drove the fire trolley. Then signed off, signed back on as guard for the train at the station cafe for the engagement party and then did the shunt down the shed. Next day, guard duty, shunt and two trips down the branch and shunt. Drove home 2 hours , got home at 8.00pm, MAM had a glass of red and dinner for me. How sweet is that ! So things are slow on my model engineering and at the POR because of my involvement at the Mary Valley Rattler railway which is about to start to taking passengers again down the branch to Amamoor. (22kms) Start up only weeks away.

Sat morn, 15th Sept 2018
As we waited at the turn table with "Gertie" the fire trolley, I took this pic as they pulled out the rake, notice the clean loco ;-) Another chap and myself get stuck in as I boil her up.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:09 am

No trains or training at Gympie, fire ban is on and for good reason so I spent yesterday cleaning up a set of window frames for the #967 rebuild.
Today was making progress on the boiler back head and throat plate. All is fitting up as I had hoped, which is the pay off for being fussy.

bambuko
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by bambuko » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:59 pm

Really enjoying seeing your work on the boiler :thumbright:
and appreciate seeing the details of your boiler design - thank you for sharing.
I am still some way away from the boiler, so glad you are paving the way for the rest of us :D
I presume the design has been seen and approved by your inspector?
Would you mind posting dimensioned drawings for your approved design?