Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:09 am

Progress on the coal fired loco, CAD drawings and then metal work follows.
New tooling for fine metric thread cutting as I intend to banish the dreadful button dies and ME threads from my life. Pic is M5 x 0.5 being cut.

Main steam mount in LG2 Bronze. All one piece.

Also the lubricator was made. Wilson's book mentions the oil hole as 1.00mm or smaller. That defines nothing so I measured MAM's Roundhouse one and it was 0.45 -0.50 mm so I will try 0.45mm , it is easy to enlarge if required.

More M5 x 0.5 threads for the boiler back head fittings in LG2

Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Garethh
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Garethh » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:47 am

Lovely bit of work that! I really need to work have a look at thread cutting, not 100% happy with the results I’m getting with my tail stock die holder but my lathe doesn’t have a gearbox so it’s a pain setting up when free time is limited!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:43 am

Thanks for your photos Dazza. I for one love seeing your work and hopefully you will continue to post on here. I enjoy seeing an engineer who shows off his excellent workmanship to rival the big boys. There is too much Big Brother mentality in the world, meaning they seem to have a monopoly with live steam. Your work is a joy to see and seeing MAM's Lady Anne doing 40-45 minutes run time is fantastic.....

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:18 pm

Great to see further progress, Dazza. I certainly admire your skill and ingenuity, though I have only half an inkling of the engineering principles of live steam locos.your attention to detail is really impressive.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:00 pm

Garethh wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:47 am Lovely bit of work that! I really need to work have a look at thread cutting, not 100% happy with the results I’m getting with my tail stock die holder but my lathe doesn’t have a gearbox so it’s a pain setting up when free time is limited!
13 years ago I lashed out and bought and imported a almost new Myford 254, it is lovely and it sat in it's crate for 5 years. I finally got set up my ME room and then got the precision level and test bars and set the lathe up carefully. It works a treat, I can chase 0.01 mm with out much trouble but for the lack of a graduated wheel on the tail stock and a few others things. I will fit a DRO one day and cure such things. Also I am yet to find out the info for a 32 and 40 TPI gear train. Myford today have no idea what it would be, hard to believe. I will also add, the Eccentric Turning tools are the best for ease of use and clean cutting. I do have a grinding set up, diamond hones and I polish off the tools on 1500 grit. It is all self taught, read, watch and try things out.
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:07 pm

FWLR wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:43 am Thanks for your photos Dazza. I for one love seeing your work and hopefully you will continue to post on here. I enjoy seeing an engineer who shows off his excellent workmanship to rival the big boys. There is too much Big Brother mentality in the world, meaning they seem to have a monopoly with live steam. Your work is a joy to see and seeing MAM's Lady Anne doing 40-45 minutes run time is fantastic.....

Thanks, I will post here and there, but I am devoting less time to posting for various reasons. Facebook is a dreadful means to share knowledge or learn from , it is fleeting fluff, OK for 5 mins and then it is swept away and cannot be used as a reference to back to. I wish the 16mm association would use a forum, this one or such like. 41.5min from leave the sidings to out of gas and shunt under the remaining steam back in the same siding was the best we had.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:10 pm

ge_rik wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:18 pm Great to see further progress, Dazza. I certainly admire your skill and ingenuity, though I have only half an inkling of the engineering principles of live steam locos.your attention to detail is really impressive.

Rik
Thanks Rik, I simply read and keep pushing on. I also refer to your videos, such as setting MAM's RC stuff.
I am not a modeller, not since I was 15 yo and Airfix and my small model railway was abandoned when I started work and racing bicycles which took over my life and the 15 years that followed of arrested development.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:02 pm

Captain Plod got some hours in the Red Room (World wide headquarters of the Llewellyn Loco Works) over the weekend. The push is on to try to make it to steam tests by the end of this year. Finally got around to sorting out the stainless smoke box door hinge straps getting them brazed into the door's milled grooves, including the in house bespoke made dummy stainless rivets. Then the dart and delicate brazing, using Swiss DT bicycle spokes for the 1.50mm handle material.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:04 am

Excellent work again from you Dazza. You do get things done fairly quickly.. :thumbright:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:19 pm

FWLR wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:04 am Excellent work again from you Dazza. You do get things done fairly quickly.. :thumbright:
Thanks, perhaps it may seem I am quick but in reality I fuss and cuss and a slow worker, but I don't sit and watch TV every night, I don't go to pubs, I rather do stuff and not waste my remaining hours on this rock.
Last night I made the hinge pin and then worked on the design and drawings for the pump bypass valve that will hide in the water tank cell.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:27 am

I always look forward to progress updates on this locomotive. I think it's a fascinating project, with many refinements not seen on commercially-available models. It's gratifying to follow along with projects like these.

stesc
New User
New User

Post by stesc » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:35 am

Hi
love your work - what tooling are you using for the threading - it looks like HSS insert

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:55 pm

stesc wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:35 am Hi
love your work - what tooling are you using for the threading - it looks like HSS insert
The tool is a Japanese made Kyocera TTX and the inserts are their PVD Coated Carbide tips from the TTX32R range and so far I am very pleased with the set up. I am not a fan of inserts for ME work but for fine thread accuracy, for my main turning I use Coblat in the Eccentric tool holders and I am very pleased with these.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:29 pm

For those who are bored
update pics of the loco build here, close to cooking up the cab and tank plate work. The water tank is done. Not long till I plumb it all up. Might be able to test steam early 2022 at the current rate.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellyn ... 1626418076

Not a lot of further progress on the "Potters Orchid Railway"
https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellyn ... 4810620477

Meanwhile my full size driving at the Mary Valley Rattler progresses and I have have become a C1 driver/tutor.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellyn ... 1403229215

Nickclarke
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Nickclarke » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:39 pm

Your workmanship is exquisite!

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:05 am

Nickclarke wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:39 pm Your workmanship is exquisite!
Thankyou. However I am yet to complete one working loco and yet to prove it in steam.
Maybe next year it will steam.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:57 am

I have been doing jobs in the Red Room around my work and also my driving/firing stints at the Mary Valley Rattler. Currently I am making the tank filler lids for the 16mm loco.

ImageIMG_6256 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6262 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6265 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageImageIMG_6267 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6299 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:59 am

2.50 and 2.00 silver steel buttons full hardened, file and sand. I have rehearsed this before when I did the one for the tender.

ImageIMG_6300 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6306 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr[/img]

ImageIMG_6307 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6309 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:04 am

Fixture to hold all square for tacking. Cooked up with 243 Soft Solder. It fits. The idea is it all can be removed via 4 bolts and everything stays undisturbed for testing and also for maintenance and cleaning. Well that is the theory at this time.

ImageIMG_6278 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6285 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6292 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6293 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6295 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6296 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:39 am

ImageIMG_5980 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5975 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5963 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5978 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr[/img]