Post by bambuko » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:44 am

OK, so I missed the most important - the whistle :mrgreen:
Thank you for the explanation :thumbright:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:01 pm

While Captain Plod waits for some samples of small electrical plugs for the tender to loco stream of electrons to flow down, he got the S16 cow catcher casting a good going over with the files and fitted it up. Not part of the original plan however, after the troubles with the pesky cows at the Orchid House loop senior management who grew up on a farm likes cow catchers so....

ImageIMG_6909 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6905 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6901 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6903 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:35 pm

Sunday in the Red Room while MAM was assisting with a wood firing at her Pottery club. Much modified Swift16 tank loco steps, chopped and filed and then soldered up and fitted. Some bicycle blade spokes were used as solder fingers. Spokes are very useful in the workshop. Loco Steps are fitted the tender steps to be fitted up tonight.

ImageIMG_6912 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6913 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6914 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6918 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6919 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:17 pm

I find it quite amusing that S16 flatly refuses to post bits to Canada under any circumstance but WILL post them to Australia! :evil:

bambuko
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by bambuko » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:45 pm

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:35 pm ...Spokes are very useful in the workshop...

:thumbup: indeed,
alternatively you could find these very useful as well (titanium soldering strips):
https://www.andrewberry.co.uk/product/t ... f-5-or-10/

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:28 pm

bambuko wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:45 pm
Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:35 pm ...Spokes are very useful in the workshop...

:thumbup: indeed,
alternatively you could find these very useful as well (titanium soldering strips):
https://www.andrewberry.co.uk/product/t ... f-5-or-10/
They would be handy. I wonder if I can find these down under in OZ ?I use old titanium pedal axles and screws in fixtures for silver brazing

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:30 pm

Keith S wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:17 pm I find it quite amusing that S16 flatly refuses to post bits to Canada under any circumstance but WILL post them to Australia! :evil:
That is strange. Do they have a Canadian based agent ? That sounds like a phone call "please explain" We have had a few little parcels sent to us in Brisbane. If you get stuck perhaps ship them to us and we can forward post them to you.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:20 pm

Whistle fitted up
Water pump to be fitted next
Must remember to book official Hydro test of the boiler
Working towards the time when it all has to be plumbed up

ImageIMG_6934 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6937 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

Garethh
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Garethh » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:17 am

All looking stunning as usual! Is the whistle your own design? Curious as I’ve been pondering whether to buy or attempt making one for one of my locos.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:23 pm

Garethh wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:17 am All looking stunning as usual! Is the whistle your own design? Curious as I’ve been pondering whether to buy or attempt making one for one of my locos.
The whistle is a Regner one out of the packet. I have contemplated making a whistle as per Brian Wilson's book or going a bit further and making a Resonator type, but I have relented and taken the easy path. MAM has a Regner fitted to her loco and it sounds fine if the pressure is 30 -40 lb.
I feel like I have cheated but I am wanting to finish this project within the next 6- 8 months and move onto another bigger loco, so I am digesting a bit of cheating.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:50 am

You can't be accused of cheating after all you have done. The locomotive is a work of art.

Garethh
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Garethh » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:20 am

There’s a lot of other bits you could have ‘cheated’ on and didn’t so I’d say there’s no shame in a regret whistle! I really need to try and get hold of a copy of that Brian Wilson book!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:38 pm

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:23 pm
I feel like I have cheated but I am wanting to finish this project within the next 6- 8 months and move onto another bigger loco, so I am digesting a bit of cheating.
It certainly doesn't look like cheating to me. I was just describing the quality of your metal working and attention to detail to a couple of my non modelling friends when on a walk today and they were flabbergasted when I described the level of detail you put into your tank fillers.

Another, even larger loco!!?? I'm sure I'll run out of superlatives!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:09 am

Keith S wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:50 am You can't be accused of cheating after all you have done. The locomotive is a work of art.
Thanks. I was sent the articles from Steam in the Garden magazine for making the resonator whistles so I thought I would like to have a go at one but I am settling on the Regner for now.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:14 am

ge_rik wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:38 pm
Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:23 pm
It certainly doesn't look like cheating to me. I was just describing the quality of your metal working and attention to detail to a couple of my non modelling friends when on a walk today and they were flabbergasted when I described the level of detail you put into your tank fillers.

Another, even larger loco!!?? I'm sure I'll run out of superlatives!

Rik
I started a simple 5" loco 34 years ago, I had to put it down due to moving a few times, working over seas and then I restarted it 5 years ago, but I was bored with it. There is a pic of it on page 1 of this thread. My metal work had moved on. So the garden steamer was the go. I have the drawings done for 5-6 years for the 5" loco. The story of this is also some where in this thread.

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:17 am

Keith S wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:17 pm I find it quite amusing that S16 flatly refuses to post bits to Canada under any circumstance but WILL post them to Australia! :evil:
Likely some sort of product liability insurance bull***. I think Binnie doesn't ship to the Yanks for the same reason. Sent you a message about it..

Beautiful work as always, Darrell. Love the elegant-yet-rugged look about the loco. Great little whistles, those.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:08 pm

Neat pipe runs make an impression. Captain Plod needs to learn how to do this. Some research at the ME and forum library and one full day spent so far on this, more days to come, but if all goes well it will be useful for decades to come. Repurposed some old Alloy plate and what ever is to hand.

ImageIMG_6974 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6972 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:46 pm

A bit more done to the tubie bendy thingie. I think it will be a tool that evolves as needs require.

ImageIMG_7013 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7017 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7020 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7022 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7023 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

Handy little fella.

ImageIMG_7021 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:00 pm

Inordinate amount of Saturday time for this plumbing. I expect I will get better at it with more experience.

ImageIMG_7031 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7032 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7034 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:38 pm

Sorting the electron path from the tender to the loco, hidden under the 5mm high cab timber floor boards (to be made later) to the servo mount then to the receiver up front in the tank via 4 x 4 x 0.5 Knupfer brass tube. The cab/tanks lift clear with disturbing anything.
I think it is tidy, facilitates maintenance/repairs. Just fitted after much head scratching, cutting , filing and soldering and test runs. I will be using 22 swg silicon wires and JST connectors (and these do fit) The white bell wire is just for the pic.

ImageIMG_7042 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7044 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7045 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7046 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7047 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr