Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:58 pm

The staff at the Llewellyn Locomotive Works have with satisfied relief, are done and dusted with the expansion links. A big sigh of relief all round.

Mounted

Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:00 pm

Masterpiece!

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:20 pm

What was that he slipped into his pocket

The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:52 pm

Absolutely great expansion link! Top notch!
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:16 pm

daan wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:52 pm Absolutely great expansion link! Top notch!

Thank you for the kind compliment, I also thank every one else for their kind compliments. The links drove me to almost a state of despair. Their is evidence of my mistakes, but not showing too loudly. If there is to be a next time, a new design and approach of the these parts will be looked at.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:18 pm

Only you know your 'mistakes' although I am sure it's just down to you being critical of yourself (I am the same).

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:23 pm

Lads, the lifting links are next, now pay attention please.

1" free machining

Part and then face to size, aiming for 4.80mm, yep, that will do.

Now what did I say about paying attention. The filing buttons were fitted (had to make another two pair) but the curved shape was overlooked and the first one was scrapped, however two to size and shape did eventuate. Took most of the day.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:51 pm

A lump of steel, cooked up to remove any stresses, destined to be a pair of "Motion Driving Cranks", "Eccentric Cranks" or "Return Cranks" depending where you reside.

Squaring up

Drill, ream, drill, tap, repeat.

Mill here and there, slitting saw and mill, mill

File file

Done.

with trimmed 10BA screws and lock nuts

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:27 pm

Nice work, these could be one of the most important pieces for a good working steam engine..

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:17 pm

daan wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:27 pm Nice work, these could be one of the most important pieces for a good working steam engine..
Thanks and agreement, however if I have messed up some where with the redesign I would be very stressed if I had to make new expansion links. That would make me dark!

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:36 pm

I am making screw pivot pins to connect things, I was having trouble sorting a good reasonably quick but accurate and precise process.
Then suddenly
It comes to me while I made the third pin that was destined for the scrap bin.

Do not make the bolt/pin profile and then cut the thread, instead I turn just the thread diameter and then cut the thread, relieve the last thread to the shoulder. The cut was done with a .50mm parting tool blade that was ground down from a 1/16" blade. Then I turned the 2.02mm diameter, for 1.65mm, chamfer the hex and part off. Then face off the parted surface of the hex head in the Cowells lathe and also trim the threaded section to get the slightly rounded end to the thread.
I know this sequence might be bleeding well obvious to most, but for dim old me , it was YAY!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:56 am

Yeah, that's what I would of done (he says jokingly).

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:43 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:56 am Yeah, that's what I would of done (he says jokingly).

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:07 pm

If I drop a motion pin on the 12" to the foot scale I crack a toe open, leaping about with curses spewing out, or at least a good test for the steel caps.
If I drop one of these and I am on my hands and knees, squinting.
These motion pin/bolts take an inordinate amount of time to make.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:14 pm

Made a new chamfer tool to use in the little Cowell’s lathe, after parting off in the Myford I take the bolt/pin to the little Cowells and face off to the correct thickness and then chamfer the hex. Once I have all dials set production went smoothly. Then I milled the foot plate square, then cleaned the machines down and mopped the work shop floor and felt good about that. I detest working in swarf and dirt in the hobby room. The foot plate will be chopped and drilled as the design and parts are produced, including a big hole for the firebox. I am going to mount a block and temporary reach rod on the foot plate for setting up the motion. I am not sure yet how I am mounting the servos, but I have a draft approach for this.
I joined the Ffestiniog society. (50 Quid) The plan is that in 2020 I will visit and volunteer at the Boston Lodge there for 2- 3 weeks. It costs 5 quid a night to stay at the railway hostel. I have got to do it once in my life, at this most famous Welsh railway.
Cheers Dazza

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:41 pm

I like tidy but you work in an operating theatre!
Wonderful stuff though and rapid too.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:04 am

Blimey, that floor is clean enough to eat your dinner off. Seriously though I also like to work in a (relatively) clean environment but I'm always torn between keeping it clean and tidy and the time it takes to have a tidy up.
Phil

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:09 am

Absolutely brilliant! The workshop you have, as well as your locomotive..! I'll show your workshop at my work as an example of how a professional workspace should look like. :lol:

The best thing about it is the floor however. It can be cleaned with water and soap, you see every tiny bit you drop and it is light, so you see what you're doing.

The only important thing I don't see is a good stereo.. I've moved my old Pioneer surround system to the shed, which can be linked to my phone for any kind of music I feel like, no matter what volume.. I guess that is the best thing in my workshop. :lol:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:01 pm

daan wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:09 am Absolutely brilliant! The workshop you have, as well as your locomotive..! I'll show your workshop at my work as an example of how a professional workspace should look like. :lol:

The best thing about it is the floor however. It can be cleaned with water and soap, you see every tiny bit you drop and it is light, so you see what you're doing.

The only important thing I don't see is a good stereo.. I've moved my old Pioneer surround system to the shed, which can be linked to my phone for any kind of music I feel like, no matter what volume.. I guess that is the best thing in my workshop. :lol:

Epoxy floor is a beautiful thing, cleans up and washes off and dries fast. I need to do the bike making area as well, but the disruption to the cash flow will be huge.
You are correct about the stereo, MAM bought me one and I have to put some shelves up and set it up. I have a wall TV antenna socket and power supply for a TV so I can watch the test matches but I do not think I will install a TV. It was a silly idea. I do not use a mobile phone let alone a smart phone. I am still a CD man. I listen to Radio National all day on the digital radio but a lot of the time I am in the Red Room I listen to the ABC's Jazz channel . I am a Nick Cave fan and Bowie and ....................all sorts. Driving is Nick Cave. Unless cricket is on the radio, then it must be cricket. Cleaning does take time however it makes me feel relaxed and confident in my hobby.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:26 am

Last night after 11 hours in the bike workshop (preshow stress) after dinner I spent some time finishing off installing the cranks for the drains.

Then I was trying to get the Servo to twitch the right amount, but not mastered, it was getting late and I was tired so off to the feathers I went.