Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:44 pm

Hi Graeme, I am actually quoting from AMBSC Code Part 3 Issue 2.0 - 2017
“Sub -Miniature Boilers”
page 5
2.3.11 Boilers with unflanged plates shall have a minimum plate thickness of 3mm..

Not Brian Wilson's fault if that clause has been added or changed since the earlier cod or since my copy of his book went to print. However that clause says that a new boiler built now with 2mm plates will not be compliant to the code. Of course I will be speaking with my boiler inspector or inspectors at a club meeting soon.
I will just order a 3mm plate after I pull off a bank job as soon as I get a fast car and a stocking and ensure that I am compliant to the code as I serve my time 😊
I am well drilled with boiler paper work and having a current BA ticket and a copy of RISSB Boiler code and Practice on my shelf behind me and many hours crawling around the fire boxes re-tubing full size loco boilers on weekends, I like to gather the info and think it through and then move.

Yahoo style forum, chat group format is "errrr yukkkkk" actmco (according to my current opinion)

Cheers Dazza
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:53 am

Making the cranks for the cylinder drains, starting off as 16mm free machining steel. I did a bit of learning using the centre thingie in the centre thingabob. Find the two centres and then drill 1.00mm holes 6.30mm from the shaft hole and then remove and shape, via saw, files and buttons

The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

11thHour
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by 11thHour » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:44 am

Hi Dazza,
Andrew Allison’s boiler design for Jack, which has a boiler diameter of 50.8 mm, shows the following dimensions on plate thickness-
Tubeplates & backhead. 3mm
Outer firebox wrapper. 3mm ( it is a wet leg design)
Inner firebox wrapper. 2mm
The drawing is dated 27/10/2015 and published in AME June 2017. The drawing is noted as compiling with AMBSC pt3, but doesn’t say which version.
Andrew is presumably close to those who frame the code.
I am no engineer, but I am guessing the inner firebox wrapper, which forms the firebox crown in the Allison design, is thinner than the other plates so that a failure will cause an implosion into the firebox rather than an external explosion. In the Wilson design the crown is combined with the backhead, which I am guessing will be the sticking point for your argument.
If you need to go the 3mm route, contact me offline for a vaguely possible solution.

Tim

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:11 pm

Hi Tim, I appreciate your reply. I have 3mm Copper plate ordered, now looking at the latest code I cannot find anything to do with Barrel wall thickness in the latest code. The only reference is 2.3.2 The Maximum diameter of any sub miniature boiler is 63.5mm
I will keep this boiler simple with the Briggs style as in the book, but maybe ...................???
I stopped subscribing to AME mag as I detest pages and pages of photos of bums on trains in the club reports. I might chase the back issue up for that boiler.
I will contact you soon.
Cheers Dazza
11thHour wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:44 am Hi Dazza,
Andrew Allison’s boiler design for Jack, which has a boiler diameter of 50.8 mm, shows the following dimensions on plate thickness-
Tubeplates & backhead. 3mm
Outer firebox wrapper. 3mm ( it is a wet leg design)
Inner firebox wrapper. 2mm
The drawing is dated 27/10/2015 and published in AME June 2017. The drawing is noted as compiling with AMBSC pt3, but doesn’t say which version.
Andrew is presumably close to those who frame the code.
I am no engineer, but I am guessing the inner firebox wrapper, which forms the firebox crown in the Allison design, is thinner than the other plates so that a failure will cause an implosion into the firebox rather than an external explosion. In the Wilson design the crown is combined with the backhead, which I am guessing will be the sticking point for your argument.
If you need to go the 3mm route, contact me offline for a vaguely possible solution.

Tim

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:23 pm

More Filing buttons

The dark residue is graphite and oil, from the packing. I keep every thing oily due to the high humidity here and hot weather.

A few more bits and then it will be setting up my first ever RC servo and controller.
New stuff is fun, it is about the journey.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:57 pm

Some of Saturday and all off Sunday and some of Sunday evening in the Red Room. A lot of thinking and sketching time in there.

Bushes to snug up the M2.5

Servo mounts mounted

Another crank to make and a linkage to complete the mechanics of the drain operating kit.
I am pleased I got the thinking out of dimensions such that it all can installed and removed with knocking down the rest of the Loco.
I have never used RC equipment before and yet to rig it all up and test.

Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:06 pm

Interested to see how the servo drains in action once the loco is ready to power under her own steam.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:39 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:06 pm Interested to see how the servo drains in action once the loco is ready to power under her own steam.
All is smooth so far, I followed B.Wilson's drawings but for the change to exhaust sideways. I am concerned about leakage. If all gets to much, I will gum the lot up with High Temp sealer and the drains will become cosmetic fluff.
I am very interested to see it steam and if the valve gear redesign works out. On the simulators it was a huge improvement. When all is working and steams well and the paint is done, I will be on the big bird to the UK to visit the Peterborough show and steam and bicycle gigs. Looks like 2020 will be the year at the current pace.

It is all a journey till I go belly up. Life is too short to watch Soapies............................charge and take no prisoners ...........

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:14 pm

Tuesday night, after dinner, ABC Jazz on the radio, (Nick Cave is for when I clean the house, Radio National or the Cricket when working)
the crank that will connect the servo linkage to the drain crank shaft emerges from the tonnage of swarf :roll:
I started following the https://riksrailway.blogspot.com.au/201 ... rx102.html on Monday night but the thunder storms curtailed my first efforts with RC equipment but I did get the servo to move. YAY! :D I went down to the Pottery Shed to show MAM.

Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:53 pm

Ground another tool up for the Cowells ME90
Working up the cylinder drain linkage on a hot and humid evening.

I am using the stainless valve rods with 10BA thread that I discarded when I revised that set up.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:10 pm

I needed some tough spanners that can be heaved about for the bigger jobs in the workshop and take some abuse, such as a good smashing with the flogging hammer. These hitch hiked to down under by Airmail (5 weeks)

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:17 pm

Swinging off the big spanners

Lots of complication for the method of the expansion link making, ponder, sketch .........................

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:57 am

Lovely work Darrel!

I'm going to be making similar drain cocks for my oscillating cylinders. My engine runs wet and seemed to be getting water trapped right at the ends of the cylinders when the ports were closed. I've got a cylinder on the vertical slide right now.
Best wishes,
Dave

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:17 am

Agree with Dave, completely in awe.

I would love to have the ability and equipment to make similar drains for Roundhouse cylinders.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:14 pm

I wanted to remove the need for brass shim in the expansion link fabrications as per the words and Music by Brian Wilson, so I mounted some annealed steel to a base on a rotary table and set about making three pieces into one piece. A mill here and a mill here and there............... The extra work involved is OK by me and it is all good education for the bigger and more complicated links that I intended to be making in the years to come.

It will all make sense later, but this is a stick with two small parts in it.

Plot the co-ordinates for drilling the expansion links, two on the piece of 1.60mm gauge plate, all from a common radius point

" Listen up you sods, this is how we will do it, no stuff ups OK ! "

In go the .50mm corner holes using the $2.00 Carbide PCB drill in a collet.

This is the way I am approaching the expansion links based on Brian Wilson's book. However my eccentric rod pin back set is in a different location as I have modified the valve gear geo. I wonder if it will work? The proving day gets a bit closer.

Knock off time on a hot and humid evening while listening to the Test Cricket from South Africa. The Aussies are heading for a win, but I would not get too confident, it was one destructive bowling session by Starck that did it, our batting is still iffy.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:38 pm

The Tender Slomo mech arrives from "Small Steam Performance"and the staff gather around to have a gander at it.

Then it was back to work on the expansion links, one 3mm end mill became a casualty but all is going to plan.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:55 pm

The staff at the Llewellyn Loco works have been busy, as always. The design for a new wet leg boiler is underway at the drawing office. Inspired by an article in "Australian Model Engineer" magazine.
Then there was Saturday at the Ipswich Heritage Railway Workshops and Museum for an "Association of Rail Tourism Queensland" meeting and this always involves a stroll through the workshops at the end of the day. I also volunteer here when I get the chance. I assisted in a very small way with the cosmetic restoration on the Hunslet that served on the Western Front before it came down under and slaved away on the sugar cane lines in Queensland.

The DD17 tank loco progresses with its new all welded steel boiler.

C17 #974 and the BB181/4 1079 and 1089 (Which is Australia's Evening Star). I hope to have some time firing on the #974 when it goes into service at the Maryvalley Rattler, fingers crossed.

One of the 2000 class railmotors.

Home on Saturday night after a good and eventful day out, I show MAM the head light I made for the little Greenblat loco kit she got me for Christmas and later while consuming home made Fish and Chips (Salmon = yum) and a glass or two of Red, MAM comments "where is the tail light, you are making a taillight for it !" "Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhh, yes, yes, you are right, it has to be done" . Sunday morning I get up, cup of tea, I rummage through what I have, LEDs, wires, connectors, switches and a Pendle Valley Tail lamp kit. I ponder all of this. I am an ignoramus with electrics but for the basics. I get in a right muddle. About 6 hours later, I have some thing that works.

I think it needs a little awning over the cab to keep the tropical sun off Mr Starboard.

Now what has this got to do with steam locos ????

It is intended that Llewellyn Loco Works #1 will have working head light and taillight on the tender as night time running is one of the reasons to live. So all of this is a good training and education excercise in LEDs, diodes and soldering for a proper or at least a better job to be done on the steamer. (with better and smaller connectors)
The Greenblat will be painted Safety Yellow as it will the POR's PR inspection trolley for running the road etc .

Later on Sunday Evening the expansion links are progressing while listening to the Test Cricket. The tricky milling is done. Now the next stages of cutting and fabrication begins.

While the mills was buzzing, MAM was ordering detail parts from the UK for her Lady Ann, inspired by an article in SMT mag.
Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:06 pm

Thanks for the pics.

I like the look of this loco:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:34 pm

your desire can be sated
soon

https://www.accucraft.uk.com/products/w ... am-4-6-0t/
tom_tom_go wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:06 pm Thanks for the pics.

I like the look of this loco:

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:56 am

Great work as allways, but why do you buy a slomo? With your precision you can build one yourself easily.. I do love the spanner set! Absolutely great..
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.