Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:58 pm

Another hiccup that I missed, " bad brain, bad brain" was the hex heads that hold the motion bracket mounting bracket angle to the frames will clash with the rivet heads. The books CAD drawings 3D and 2D do not show a rivet head, how effing convenient. There is plenty of room and I could have redesigned this but I was too dim to notice till too late. My motion bracket is different for correct direction of the reverser and separate slide bars, but I kept the mounting angle etc the same. Sigh! Move on.
I made a 1/16" rivet dolly and did some tests with a countersink rivet to clear the hex heads. Worked OK and my first guess on the rivet length was spot on. Ya gotta have a win some times.
So with MAM holding the bracket etc, I did the tap tap tap with a drift etc.

Trail fit up on the frames and all went well and within .002mm YAY!
Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:59 pm

I am making separate slide bars just to add to my troubles and I think it looks cooler than a bent up bit off the motion bracket.So to heck with it all, keep myself occupied and so I cut a strip off some 1.55mm gauge plate and a bit of mill and file and sand and I am attempting to polish the faces on 600 grit and then 1500 grit, double sided tape on some 1/2" HSS bit and then rob over the sheets of grit. I have just started the process of polishing.

The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:52 am

Are you a 16mm NGM member because if you are you should enter this into the MOTY.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:23 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:52 am Are you a 16mm NGM member because if you are you should enter this into the MOTY.
I am a member and I am impressed with the way the society is run. I think MOTY is this
https://www.nationalgardenrailwayshow.o ... r-winners/

Our draft plan is to go to 2019 Peterborough show, and then to Bristol for a bike show. I will not be coming to the UK in 2018, it is too much to go each year, hard on resources and the flight is errrr yukkk and I have done return trip 20 plus times.
If we come in 2019 it is my intention to bring the loco, I have a Platt case on hand to transport the loco.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:27 pm

Redesigned cross heads underway in LG2 bronze

Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:35 pm

Trial fit up

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:00 pm

A wee bit more done last night, some passes with the mill
while the mosquito coil smouldered after the storm passed

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:08 pm

It's train engineering heaven all this!

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:00 pm

Really watch quality precision work.. I've not seen many drawings with 1/1000st of a mm measurements. Even if you have a good set of machinery and really sharp tools, these kind of tolerances are hard to get right without CNC machining. It's a joy to watch indeed. :thumbup:
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:11 pm

daan wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:00 pm Really watch quality precision work.. I've not seen many drawings with 1/1000st of a mm measurements. Even if you have a good set of machinery and really sharp tools, these kind of tolerances are hard to get right without CNC machining. It's a joy to watch indeed. :thumbup:
Thanks
.000mm is just because you can get errors when doing CAD when you are sorting imperial and metric. For example 1/8" is 3.175mm and you can have accumulative errors when adding up etc. In pencil drawings you miss this, but CAD is absolute and so it is easier to have 3 decimal places.
One can chase .01mm but splitting that to .005mm is not reality at the machines for me.
The proof is it is steams OK with a Slomo in the tender and I can make it creep up to the buffer
s :-)

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:54 am

Hey new fella, nice work! 8)

Best wishes,
Dave
Best wishes,
Dave

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:36 pm

Done , but for breaking the edges, all was spot on and fitted nicely on the slide bar and the piston rod slid in. A lot of work for these little fellas!

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:07 pm

Very impressive, I thought I was handy enough in a machine shop until I saw the item coming out of your works. There seems to be a great deal of engineering skill in the southern hemisphere, is it down to the water? :D
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:33 pm

Big Jim wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:07 pm Very impressive, I thought I was handy enough in a machine shop until I saw the item coming out of your works. There seems to be a great deal of engineering skill in the southern hemisphere, is it down to the water? :D

Thank you for the kind comments. I am terribly slow, I mull over every thing 10 times ............................

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:39 pm

So do I if not more so and you still do a better job than me!

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:02 pm

Engineering can be learned but you are born to do it; very creative. I also like this hobby where family members enjoy to involve in the process.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:42 am

What a talented and fastidious machinist you are. I wish I could see some of this happening in real life. It seems almost like magic. Oil holes in miniature connecting rods! The nerve!

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:08 pm

Keith S wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:42 am What a talented and fastidious machinist you are. I wish I could see some of this happening in real life. It seems almost like magic. Oil holes in miniature connecting rods! The nerve!
Thankyou for the compliments, I picked up the how to 0.50mm holes with PCB carbide drills at another forum http://modeleng.proboards.com/

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:00 am

Incredible attention to detail ...... I marvel at such precision. I think my tolerances are nearer to +-5mm!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:19 pm

Working on the connecting rods. The B.W drawings has a small end pin at 3.2mm diameter going into a 2.50mm Con rod hole. I am not a fan of a steel pin running in the plain steel small end of the Con rod so I am intending to use 2.50mm pin (case hardened) and run it in a 0.40mm wall PB bush in the small end of the Con rod. The small end rod eye I made bigger to 5.20mm to give more room to accommodate the the bush. Much easier to replace a flogged out bush, if the need ever arises. The crank in the Con Rod to my mind very annoying and if there was to be a next time I would investigate the feasibility of redesigning the whole gig with a straight rod. I calculated I needed to make the Rod centres 0.14mm greater than the 80mm I have in my drawings, so the 80.14mm centers on the flat rod will be 80mm when the 2.40mm crank is inserted/pressed/bent. My dimensions may vary from the original drawings.

Made a pair of 5.20mm diameter filing buttons from some 1/4" silver steel and a 10 BA screw to hold them. Hardened the buttons with no tempering.
All set for the saw and file tonight.

Good batting by Roy last night.