Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Post by mymodeltrain » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:02 pm

Engineering can be learned but you are born to do it; very creative. I also like this hobby where family members enjoy to involve in the process.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:42 am

What a talented and fastidious machinist you are. I wish I could see some of this happening in real life. It seems almost like magic. Oil holes in miniature connecting rods! The nerve!

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:08 pm

Keith S wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:42 am What a talented and fastidious machinist you are. I wish I could see some of this happening in real life. It seems almost like magic. Oil holes in miniature connecting rods! The nerve!
Thankyou for the compliments, I picked up the how to 0.50mm holes with PCB carbide drills at another forum http://modeleng.proboards.com/
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:00 am

Incredible attention to detail ...... I marvel at such precision. I think my tolerances are nearer to +-5mm!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:19 pm

Working on the connecting rods. The B.W drawings has a small end pin at 3.2mm diameter going into a 2.50mm Con rod hole. I am not a fan of a steel pin running in the plain steel small end of the Con rod so I am intending to use 2.50mm pin (case hardened) and run it in a 0.40mm wall PB bush in the small end of the Con rod. The small end rod eye I made bigger to 5.20mm to give more room to accommodate the the bush. Much easier to replace a flogged out bush, if the need ever arises. The crank in the Con Rod to my mind very annoying and if there was to be a next time I would investigate the feasibility of redesigning the whole gig with a straight rod. I calculated I needed to make the Rod centres 0.14mm greater than the 80mm I have in my drawings, so the 80.14mm centers on the flat rod will be 80mm when the 2.40mm crank is inserted/pressed/bent. My dimensions may vary from the original drawings.

Made a pair of 5.20mm diameter filing buttons from some 1/4" silver steel and a 10 BA screw to hold them. Hardened the buttons with no tempering.
All set for the saw and file tonight.

Good batting by Roy last night.
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:37 pm

ge_rik wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:00 am Incredible attention to detail ...... I marvel at such precision. I think my tolerances are nearer to +-5mm!

Rik
Thanks, but not really incredible
Cherry Hill and her work is incredible.
However these live on my head a lot of the time
$27.00 aud from Jaycar 8)
while I bump or trip over every second obstacle :(

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:01 am

Engineering can be learned but you are born to do it
This is very true, Having had dealings with a number of the apprentices over the years, you can spot a natural. Skills can be learned, techniques can be honed
but aptitude is a gift. I know I can teach anyone to weld (I taught the wife), but there is a big difference between some one who can weld and a natural welder.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:25 pm

They 'weld' natural ability boom boom...

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:03 pm

Silver steel filing buttons, hardened right out and a 10 BA screw

file file file, sand sand

each weighs in at 4.45 grams according to Solid Works.

What is next here ?

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:43 pm

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:32 pm

Now I know your secret.. You have a very well trained staff of dedicated workers to help you. For them all the small fiddly scale stuff is normal size and therefore easy to make.. :lol:
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:05 am

daan wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:32 pm Now I know your secret.. You have a very well trained staff of dedicated workers to help you. For them all the small fiddly scale stuff is normal size and therefore easy to make.. :lol:
Yep, they are the brains and brawn of the whole "Potters Orchid Railway" gig
They have even been published

Me, I just do the marketing stuff
If I can get them to make the bikes then I could go fishing or hang out at some heritage railway and sniff stream oil and chew some coal while sipping tea

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:24 pm

Fiddly work.
Slide bars in place and the cross heads are moving, attached to piston rods.
Left hand side needed .02mm removed from the bar at the cylinder end and .20mm at the MB mount.

The dummy bolt heads that were loctited in fell out with the constant handling. I will clean and refit some replacements later.

The right hand cylinder needed .20mm shim at the MB mount.

I have concerns about the drag with the quad rings that I used on the piston.
Next is the bushes and pins and complete the con rod.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:35 pm

I have introduced a Phosphor Bronze bush to the small end of the connecting rod. I was not keen on a 1.60mm wide steel con rod flogging about on a 2.50mm steel pin. A bush can be replaced, but correcting an oval hole in the small end of a con rod, "Errrrr yukkkkkk!" ( Errrrr yukkkkkk= Dazza technical term)
I also made it wider at 2.80mm to give more wearing surface. So while ABC Jazz radio played I started turning small and big end bushes. After some redrawing I got the centre line of the piston rod to the centre line of the con rod small end and reduced the crank in the con rod to 1.50mm which reduces the sideways forces and possible wear. Other wise the cylinder cover and gland takes up the lateral thrust as the cross head is not designed to. The vertical thrust is taken up by the slide bar and cross head. OK, the forces are small, but.......................

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:20 pm

Machining the cross head pins, will be case hardened later this arvo.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:27 pm

Now that is something.

I would of just bought these :mrgreen:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:48 am

For kicks and giggles, the 0.50mm carbide PCB drill did its work again. Oil holes in the con rod big end. I had missed pinning one crank to an axle so I have done that, 1.25mm silver steel pin and it is put aside for the Loctite to cure and then I can assemble the rods etc and check piston end clearance.

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:30 pm

The first post on the rods was on 14th of January. This one is the 27th of January. So almost 2 weeks of work on 2 magnificent driverods.. Where do you get such patience? :shock: :D
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:02 pm

daan wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:30 pm The first post on the rods was on 14th of January. This one is the 27th of January. So almost 2 weeks of work on 2 magnificent driverods.. Where do you get such patience? :shock: :D

Thanks. I am self employed and I have to work to earn a crust of bread, so it is some evenings for an hour or two. I am not urging to have it done, a rush to have it running, but then being a bit let down by some of my perceived short comings. I am also terribly terribly slow. I measure three times, making a cut and repeat.........................make a cup of tea..............................make another cup of tea................. I am also working on the cab drawings now and soon the tender. Also how to fit the 5 servos in. All new stuff for me this RC gear. Last night I was checking and creating /printing off 2 D drawings for the anchor link and combination lever and associated pins. I also update and edit the 3D and 2D drawings after each part, so who ever might use these drawings in the days to come will curse me a little bit less than normal.
MAM and I are off soon this Sunday morning to collect rocks, to start a stock pile of terra forming materials for the Potters Orchid Railway.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:57 pm

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:02 pm
daan wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:30 pm The first post on the rods was on 14th of January. This one is the 27th of January. So almost 2 weeks of work on 2 magnificent driverods.. Where do you get such patience? :shock: :D
MAM and I are off soon this Sunday morning to collect rocks, to start a stock pile of terra forming materials for the Potters Orchid Railway. [/color][/b] [/color][/b]
I hear there is a big red rock over your way, that might look nice in your garden and I doubt they would miss a sack or two!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?