Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:55 pm

Boiler is ready for Mr Inspector to pull apart and check over. I am expecting all is sweet but ......................

In hindsight I would have had the fire door opening lower as the super heater entry is going to be a pain. I have a plan for this, more on that later.

I was up early (5.00am) and I was on the PC sorting out the super heater header mounting plate and the header itself. I am putting an olive onto the steam header to cylinder connection for ease of maintenance or modification if required, but the S.H tube itsself will be brazed in. I can poke that through to the back head etc. Well that is my plan. Will see if it all works out.

The next three weekends I am on Roster at Gympie , lighting up and I may start some time on the footplate out on the branch trying to master landing it at the front of an 8 foot long grate on demand and also guard training, soon to be passed out.
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

bambuko
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by bambuko » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:29 pm

It's all becoming clear :D
Thank you again for such detailed progress reports.
This build thread is more than "of interest" - love it - source of info and inspiration :thumbleft:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:38 am

That looks like it will work for me Dazza.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:23 pm

592 pages of goodness arrived yesterday. What a splendid book this is :study:

The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:20 am

Interested in the super heater, will it be coiled up in the smokebox?

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:32 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:20 am Interested in the super heater, will it be coiled up in the smokebox?
It will enter from the backhead, over the fire so it is a radiant type and then down the left tube/flue, then bend up into the header. Then from the header via an olive connection to the admission T between the chests. No coils in the smoke box. The original design has the steam dry pipe passing down the water/steam space in the boiler. This super heater is my concoction. I am to meet the boiler inspector this morning before I start work.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:49 pm

Won't you have issues cleaning the flues?

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:31 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:49 pm Won't you have issues cleaning the flues?
In your best Baldrick voice
"I have a cunning plan"

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:35 am

Made a dash to see Mr Boiler Inspector. His comment after looking at my boiler, “I will f_-k myself if that does not hold steam.” 😊 Gave me my boiler number and told me to cook it up and we will do the testing.
The onlookers liked my workmanship so I was quite chuffed (pun intended) It will be a while before I can cook it up as I am at Gympie (Mary Valley Rattler) the next three weekends as I am on crewing roster.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:33 am

Well "playing" with the big stuff will be almost as good, but it can be frustrating when you have something that you're keen to progress. I know as I have had a new locomotive for several months now, but not had the opportunity to run it. Enjoy your time on the Rattler meanwhile.
Ian

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:07 pm

How can anyone be too busy to not run a new train?!

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:31 pm

Tom, I presume you've never been on the footplate of a standard gauge steam loco to understand how fantastic an experience it is? I'm not sure about Dazza's railway but from my experience most turns are rostered so Dazza probably has to turn up. I'm sure he does so willingly and enthusiastically. I have to turn up wjen rostered, as do most of our volunteers or quite simply the trains don't run! Having said that, I'm sure Dazza will also be keen to continue his excellent build. Until we find a way to be in two places at once I guess the progress on his own Loco will be slower than he'd like.
Ian

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:45 pm

Not sure why if I have ever driven a real train is relevant here? I haven't, and the prototype doesn't interest me as I just like running model trains outside. The one preservation group I did apporach was very clicky.

My point was that your life cannot be that hectic where you cannot find a hour to steam test. Surely this is something you would want to perform on a new loco to make sure it works within it's warranty period?

Anyway, back on topic I am interested in the super heater when you install it Dazza.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:05 am

IanC wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:33 am Well "playing" with the big stuff will be almost as good, but it can be frustrating when you have something that you're keen to progress. I know as I have had a new locomotive for several months now, but not had the opportunity to run it. Enjoy your time on the Rattler meanwhile.

Yes, but for me the big train stuff comes first, serious responsibilities and I want to move up the ladder and be passed out Cat 2 and onto Cat 1 in the years to come, before it is too late and I get too old and feeble and thus I miss my opportunity. This opportunity is here and now, so I am onto it and it has been my vision to be on full size steam for 40 years. However, I understand and accept reluctantly that the 32mm loco build, 5" gauge locos and work on the Potters Orchid Railway is delayed. The need to complete the signal kits and install, the terra forming and irrigation system and then the walking pathways, steps and garden beds so the weeds can be kept under control will have to wait. The POR alone is a full year of weekends to get to a reasonable setup. Meanwhile the weeds have over taken again, one cannot see the track again due to lots of rain and warmer weather, it will take a 4-6 hour session to clean up, I have booked a weekend day 4 weeks from now for this. MAM and I very much want to have social steam up days on the POR, lots of good wine, beer and smell cheese, food and stories and fun
Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:07 am

IanC wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:31 pm Tom, I presume you've never been on the footplate of a standard gauge steam loco to understand how fantastic an experience it is? I'm not sure about Dazza's railway but from my experience most turns are rostered so Dazza probably has to turn up. I'm sure he does so willingly and enthusiastically. I have to turn up wjen rostered, as do most of our volunteers or quite simply the trains don't run! Having said that, I'm sure Dazza will also be keen to continue his excellent build. Until we find a way to be in two places at once I guess the progress on his own Loco will be slower than he'd like.

Ian sums it up, yes it is fantastic to work a steam loco from the footplate, being part of a team to make it all happen, but it is not for all and that is cool.
Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:27 am, edited 4 times in total.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:23 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:45 pm Not sure why if I have ever driven a real train is relevant here? I haven't, and the prototype doesn't interest me as I just like running model trains outside. The one preservation group I did apporach was very clicky.

My point was that your life cannot be that hectic where you cannot find a hour to steam test. Surely this is something you would want to perform on a new loco to make sure it works within it's warranty period?

Anyway, back on topic I am interested in the super heater when you install it Dazza.
Tom_tom, I will get to braze up my boiler, soonish, but I will wait till I have a good free weekend so I can approach it with full energy and clear space, thus I will do a good job of brazing up my first boiler and enjoy this journey.
I am also still working full time and self employed and that can leave one a drained at the end of a 10-12 hour day in the bike making workshop. This week's evenings has seen me sliding into the arm chair with my new book and I am nodding off in 10 mins.
As for preservation groups, like most clubs, one can have a bad experience which can be down to just luck on who you first meet. Every club or group have the curmudgeons or those who feel threatened or pontificate to boast their self esteem, which is just simple unpleasant. Heritage railways also has it fairs share of egos ! Some times one just has to move on and try another group. Like I have in the last 12 months. The workshop and train crew at the Mary Valley Rattler are a nice bunch of lasses and fellas and it is nice. I am living the dream, I wish I did not have to earn an income and thus I could live the dream deeper. The hobby of railways, be it full size, or models and Model engineering is about doing it as you feel free and wish to do. There is no right or wrong way. Just do it and forget living or doing it for others judgment. In all , it is a first world problem to have .
:D

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:52 am

Sorry to barge in, but there is a misunderstanding here.

Tom, H.D. can't test his boiler because he hasn't brazed it yet. This is why he needs to set aside more than just a spare hour. I wasn't aware myself that the inspector will look at it before it's brazed or soldered, but this apparently is the case.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:30 am

Keith S wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:52 am Sorry to barge in, but there is a misunderstanding here.

Tom, H.D. can't test his boiler because he hasn't brazed it yet. This is why he needs to set aside more than just a spare hour. I wasn't aware myself that the inspector will look at it before it's brazed or soldered, but this apparently is the case.
Yep there is a misunderstanding as you haven't read what I said. I was talking to Ian about his new loco (Dazza doesn't have a new loco sitting in a box does he as he is building it). Ian hasn't steamed his new loco since he bought it because of apparent lack of time. If I bought a new loco from a manufacturer I would want to steam test it within it's warranty period in case of any issues.

Anyway, back to the trains...

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:45 am

I agree Tom, New train would get me to steam it as soon as I received it, no matter what. The weather would be the only thing to stop me running it outside.

Who has that much filled time in any day.

Great work on the boiler Dazza. And good luck with your quest to get your Cat 2 and then Cat 1 :thumbright:
Last edited by FWLR on Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:19 am

Sorry to detract from the subject of this thread and any misunderstanding. I was trying to explain why Dazza might not have enough time to make progress with his build. As for my loco what I said was it hasn't run yet. That's because I am not fortunate to have my own railway. I have steamed it a few times on a rolling road. It was a second hand purchase and I took the opportunity to buy it whilst it was available as they don't seem to come up too often and this particular one had had some additional mods. I knew it might not run for some time. Because of other commitments I only get to run my trains around half a dozen times a year.
Ian