Re: Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:40 am

I agree, they look excellent.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:29 pm

bambuko wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:39 am These castings are excellent :thumbright:
How prohibitively expensive are they?
Do you have to make shrinkage allowances in your CAD model or does Mike do it?
What other materials apart from white bronze can he produce these castings?
What is expensive ? Hard for me to answer, as I do the drawing via Solid Works and I send them to Mike, I requested high resolution for the wax prints and white bronze . (I am self taught in Solid Works, I got the 600 page text book and from ground zero to the end over many evenings some years ago)
Previously I did the steam chest covers, then the expansion link supports. These were in silicon bronze. The smoke box saddle was in white bronze and I was impressed.
Mike takes care of the shrinkage allowances.
Chat to Mike about your possible projects. I have found him most helpful and the results most pleasing.

http://stanier-engineering.com/page/our-contact-info/
Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:32 pm

Looking at this Gromit I can see that senior management will have the red editing pen out again on these tender frame drawings.

The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

bambuko
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by bambuko » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:24 am

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:29 pm What is expensive ? Hard for me to answer...
I was hoping you'd indicate the price you've paid for these beauties so that we can all individually decide whether it is something for us as well (we all have different pain treshhold :mrgreen: ), but if you cannot (or do not want to) go public with this, that's no problem at all. I can ask Mike directly :thumbright:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:24 pm

bambuko wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:24 am
Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:29 pm What is expensive ? Hard for me to answer...
I was hoping you'd indicate the price you've paid for these beauties so that we can all individually decide whether it is something for us as well (we all have different pain treshhold :mrgreen: ), but if you cannot (or do not want to) go public with this, that's no problem at all. I can ask Mike directly :thumbright:

Best to ask Mike what a set of 4 castings like these will cost you and postage.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:46 pm

The lads get stuck into making swarf. Took them all day. The red editing pen was out frequently and the 3D and 2D CAD drawings updated.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:30 pm

" Yep, management gave the editing pen a work out Shaun"

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:49 pm

The lads put some hours in the Red Room. There was hope to have the tender frames wheeled by the end of Monday, but nah, too much gossiping.......

A few mods and additions to the Tender frame mill fixture for drilling the axle mount back plates and castings.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:43 am

What is the distance between the axles on the tender?

I ask because you may be able to fit the Lady Anne Slomo that does not use a chain.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:22 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:43 am What is the distance between the axles on the tender?

I ask because you may be able to fit the Lady Anne Slomo that does not use a chain.

Food for thought. :scratch:
88.9mm however if you fit a loco mech then only one axle will be driven, unlike a loco where the driving wheels are coupled so perhaps one wheel connected to a slow mo may have problems with skidding ? I certainly did not think of fitting a loco mech and Terry never mentioned this in out phone chats.
As I learn more about this little steamer construction I would have never bothered with the pump and fitted the Slomo into the loco, but alas I was too late when I discovered the value of the Slomo, so the tender was added to this freelance design.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:54 pm

Senior management works on her loco
Close to the test steaming, maybe this weekend.

There is some pondering over the plumbing and boiler fittings.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:01 pm

Lady Anne chassis:

ladyannekitdimen.jpg.gif
ladyannekitdimen.jpg.gif (10.06 KiB) Viewed 6277 times

The Lady Anne SSP Slomo fits between the rear axle and middle axle.

All the locos I have fitted with this type of slomo have not experienced 'skidding' while pulling a dead loco that exceeds the weight of the loco pulling:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:50 pm

More holes, no threads in the backing plates was a recent decision from Senior Management after some discussions with the workshop head foredog.

Then the Tender frame was wheeled and placed next to the loco chassis for the first time, just for kicks and giggles.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:54 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:01 pm Lady Anne chassis:

ladyannekitdimen.jpg.gif

The Lady Anne SSP Slomo fits between the rear axle and middle axle.

All the locos I have fitted with this type of slomo have not experienced 'skidding' while pulling a dead loco that exceeds the weight of the loco pulling:

Interesting, however I have had the tender Slomo on hand here for many months so it is too late for a new mech and redesign. As usual when one learns more with the passage of time, however if it helps others in the future.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:59 pm

Looking at your video, that is how locos should move. That is sweet. When one reads of people fussing over details, being critical of details and realistic modeling and then their locos look a whippets chasing cats around the track ............................. :(

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:19 pm

I think you will be satisfied with the flywheel device being mounted in the tender. With the device not being on a driven axle, of course there is the possibility of wheel-slip on the loco itself when starting, just like you would get with a full-size locomotive. Depending how you feel about it one could argue this is even more realistic, requiring some finesse on the regulator while starting up.

I have a momentum device mounted in a weighted wagon and it seems to work fine with only one axle being geared to the flywheel. I prefer to run without R/C so mine is only there to stop it running "like a whippet" which of course is even more of a problem without R/C.

I too find videos in which the locomotives hurl themselves around masslessly almost unbearable to watch, especially when a great many of them also seem to suffer from badly adjusted valve timing. How the operators find the lumpy chuffing sound bearable is beyond me.

The only time I have noticed "dragging" being an issue is when I have allowed the rails to get very greasy. On greasy rails the locomotive is quite capable of dragging the momentum vehicle but it seems to be a transient effect and again a deft hand on the regulator would mitigate this.

With a hard coupling between your loco and tender I predict you will be quite satisfied with the "Slomo" being in the tender.

With respect to the tender by the way, I have never seen such nice, clean castings as those axle box/spring details. They really look good. That tender will be quite a handsome vehicle in its own right.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:40 pm

Keith S wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:19 pm I think you will be satisfied with the flywheel device being mounted in the tender. With the device not being on a driven axle, of course there is the possibility of wheel-slip on the loco itself when starting, just like you would get with a full-size locomotive. Depending how you feel about it one could argue this is even more realistic, requiring some finesse on the regulator while starting up.

I have a momentum device mounted in a weighted wagon and it seems to work fine with only one axle being geared to the flywheel. I prefer to run without R/C so mine is only there to stop it running "like a whippet" which of course is even more of a problem without R/C.

I too find videos in which the locomotives hurl themselves around masslessly almost unbearable to watch, especially when a great many of them also seem to suffer from badly adjusted valve timing. How the operators find the lumpy chuffing sound bearable is beyond me.

The only time I have noticed "dragging" being an issue is when I have allowed the rails to get very greasy. On greasy rails the locomotive is quite capable of dragging the momentum vehicle but it seems to be a transient effect and again a deft hand on the regulator would mitigate this.

With a hard coupling between your loco and tender I predict you will be quite satisfied with the "Slomo" being in the tender.

With respect to the tender by the way, I have never seen such nice, clean castings as those axle box/spring details. They really look good. That tender will be quite a handsome vehicle in its own right.
Thanks Keith for your nice compliments and the info, much appreciated.
I will have a zero play coupling for the loco and tender, more at that later. The castings are all the witch craft of Mike Jack in NZ who does a lot of this for the ME world. I just supplied the drawings and as usual I see later with a fresh eye, mistakes and things I would change. The thing that tickled me was the spring leafs, I was worried about getting the impression correct for the individual leafs. I feel I got that right, yay!

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:39 am

Rear buffer beam is done, but the addition of dummy rivets which will come later.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:13 pm

Right t O Feathers, this buffer beam is done, take it over to the erection shop.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:59 pm

Management's cunning plan is to have simple and quick draw bar unhitching from the tender to loco via a special M3 cap head under the timber cab floor.

"Management said, one year, no worries, it will be nice simple quick Loco build job, eh Preston. Three years later here we are making draw bar drag box blocks"