Accucraft gas valve issue

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
sandy1000
Cleaner
Cleaner

Accucraft gas valve issue

Post by sandy1000 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:41 am

Accucraft have just issued a Service Bulletin regarding the need to wait after filling their gas tanks to allow any surplus gas to dissipate. I believe that there may be more to this issue than the SB indicates. I have just bought a Decauville (as has a colleague) and a Mannin and all 3 locos burst into flame when firing up commences.

The problem seems to be that the gas tank valve has been tapered and tapered roughly. This means that when a brass filler atachment is fitted then the seal is not quite complete allowing an inordinate amount of gas to be vented sideways.The rigid and precise brass gun barrel of the brass filler does not sit evenly on the taper. A look at the gas tank valve with a magnifying glass reveals the problem.

The solution is simple. Argyle Loco makes a filler atachment out of TEFLON and this fits flexibly over the taper and forms a perfect seal. Not a drop of liquid escapes until there occurs a brief venting which indicates that the tank is full.

I have fired up my locomotives repeatedly with the Teflon filler and there has never been any further problems. Both locomotives can be filled without wasting a drop of liquid gas.

Thanks to Gordon Watson of Argyle Loco Works.

Big Jim

Re: Accucraft gas valve issue

Post by Big Jim » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:40 am

Thanks for the information. Can you post a link to it please.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:14 am

Big Jim wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:40 am Thanks for the information. Can you post a link to it please.
Can't help with the Accucraft service bulletin, but the filler adaptor is the eighth item down on this page........

http://www.argyleloco.com.au/accessorie ... _works.htm

Note, these Argyle adaptors are designed to fit the 220g butane canisters used in camping stoves and widely available here in Aust. for around A$1.10 (equivalent to 65p) per can. These canisters have a plain 4mm dia. plain outlet of the type shown in the photo., the adaptors don't fit butane containers with EN417 threaded outlets, which I think are more common in Europe.

image.jpg
image.jpg (32.23 KiB) Viewed 3252 times

I've used Gordon's adaptors for years. They fit most of my locos, but I've turned up a couple of smaller diameter versions for use with locos that they won't fit......

Regards,
Graeme

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:39 pm

Thank you.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!