Safety valve

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Safety valve

Post by MuzTrem » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:17 pm

Hi everyone,

Sorry for my long absence from the GRF - it's nice to be back :)

Once again, I'm having a little difficulty with my long-serving Russell! On its recent visit to the Vale of White Horse Railway, the first time I tried to steam her, the safety valve was lifting even though the pressure gauge was at zero. We removed the gauge and Jon had a look at it, but could find no obvious mechanical fault, nor any visible dirt clogging things up. We tried again and this time the loco raised steam, but the valve was still lifting at 30psi rather than 40. I tried running her again today and am still having the same problem.

I just wondered whether anybody could suggest any remedies, or whether it is time to splash out on a new valve? Russell has always had a tendency to blow off even with the gas turned down low, so I do wonder whether the valve may not have been quite right even when new.

As ever, any thoughts very gratefully received!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: Safety valve

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:23 pm

Welcome back.

Roundhouse will likey replace it free of charge if you send the old one to them.

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:38 pm

Last edited by TonyW on Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:01 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:23 pm Welcome back.

Roundhouse will likey replace it free of charge if you send the old one to them.

Even though the engine is long out of warranty?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:37 pm

Yep...

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:34 am

The Roundhouse safety valve uses an internal 'O' ring as its seal and likely will need replacing over time (I've replaced several Roundhouse & Accucraft internal safety valve 'O' rings in the last couple of years).

http://www.roundhouse-eng.com/tech.htm#sv

These internal 'O' rings are not included in the standard service pack that Roundhouse supply with their locos, so you need to order them specially from Roundhouse.

I know others will say not to do it, but I usually put a drop of steam oil into the bottom of an upturned safety valve to keep the 'O' ring lubricated. I had one break down on an Accucraft safety valve where it was stuck to the bottom of the internal bore and would not release at a sensible setting.

Chris Cairns

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:28 pm

Chris Cairns wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:34 am The Roundhouse safety valve uses an internal 'O' ring as its seal and likely will need replacing over time (I've replaced several Roundhouse & Accucraft internal safety valve 'O' rings in the last couple of years).
Thanks - I will have a look at the O-ring.