The Black Swan

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
GTB
Driver
Driver

The Black Swan

Post by GTB » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:08 pm

About a month ago, the following photo appeared in the Market Place on Argyle Loco's website and I was on the phone very rapidly.........

BW CGR Garratt.jpg
BW CGR Garratt.jpg (177.67 KiB) Viewed 5581 times

The little Garratt in the photo is one of a small batch built by Brian Wilson (author of the book 'Steam Trains in Your Garden') around 2010-2011 and is based on the Ceylon Govt. Railway H1 class, built for one of their 2'6" lines. I've seen several of these models running locally at the GSSU (Great Southern Steamup) in Melbourne and the prototype is one of the best looking of the small Garratt designs turned out by Beyer Peacock. I never thought I'd own one though.....

Anyway, to cut to the chase, the seller was located only a few suburbs away, so a short drive the next day and I was test driving it on it's home railway. A quantity of pacific pesos changed hands and it followed me home. The next pic. shows it on my work bench under test, after some minor repairs/adjustments, while I was learning how to run it.

Gunawarra -b.jpg
Gunawarra -b.jpg (123.19 KiB) Viewed 5581 times

The model is built to 1:19 scale on 45mm gauge and is basically two Eric chassis from Brian's book, fitted with a gas fired twin 2 1/2" twin flue boiler. It is radio controlled, which simplifies reversing the valve gear. Some bits like the cylinders and burners are from Roundhouse.

It is mid-winter here and while this year has been dry, it has been too cold and miserable to take it around to the LNR for track testing. Today was a rare sunny day, not too cold and with not too much wind, so the opportunity was taken to visit Grant and give it a run.

The following pic shows it on shed before lighting up for the run. It doesn't quite fit the repair shed, but it did just fit the turntable, which simplified things when it came to working the yard.

Gunawarra -c.jpg
Gunawarra -c.jpg (380.59 KiB) Viewed 5581 times

A light loco run was made to ensure everything was working and it was then coupled up to a goods train of Grant's rollingstock to see how it behaved with a load. It had no problem with the train (22 axles), but the gas ran out before we could increase the load.

The following pic shows it drifting through Nayook on a goods train in late afternoon sun.

Gunawarra -d.jpg
Gunawarra -d.jpg (436.16 KiB) Viewed 5581 times

Apart from a bit of fun running a train in the sunshine, the test run served it's purpose, as we found the radio system needs some more work, as well as the planned cosmetic improvements to the loco. It also needs a larger gas tank. A new loco build is taking up the space on the bench at present, so the Garratt will have to wait for attention, although I would like to get it fully sorted out for this year's GSSU coming up in November.

Gunawarra-i.jpg
Gunawarra-i.jpg (179.92 KiB) Viewed 5056 times

Before anyone asks, there's no video, as I have no idea on how to post one here, or how to use YouTube. There is however a video on YouTube taken by it's builder Brian Wilson, showing this loco running with a sister at the 2015 GSSU. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzP7ibqxfIc

The loco name?

There is something called a Black Swan, mainly used in the financial sector, which is a low probability event outside the realm of normal expectation. It originated from a onetime European belief that there could be no such thing as a black swan. They found otherwise when a Dutchman sailed into a certain Australian river in the 17th century. :roll:

With only five of these models made, the chances of me finding one for sale was very low, hence it is a Black Swan in garden railway terms.

Regards,
Graeme
Last edited by GTB on Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: The Black Swan

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:58 pm

Thanks for sharing Graeme, love the whistle. Is it a Regner one or custom made?

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:57 pm

What a lovely looking loco. Went to a railway opening steam up in Gloucester the other day and fell in love with Garretts. They do look special when running, not that my garden is big enough!

Killian Keane
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Killian Keane » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:53 pm

Beautiful loco, will be interesting to see her perform with a fully loaded train :thumbleft:
Blokes with tea can build anything

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:14 am

Very nice.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:35 am

Nice one!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:07 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:58 pm Thanks for sharing Graeme, love the whistle. Is it a Regner one or custom made?
I'm not familiar with Regner's offering, but the whistle on the loco looks like one of Brian's, there are drawings for the whistle and valve in his book.

Graeme

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:11 am

bazzer42 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:57 pm They do look special when running, not that my garden is big enough!
You might be surprised. The previous owners track is a simple oval with a siding, about 20' x 10', built in a raised flowerbed.

Graeme

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:14 am

Can you explain that to Mrs Broom, looking at the price of Garretts!

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:59 pm

Nice locomotive! Also the way you found her name is interesting, it sort of fits her like a glove.
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

Tropic Blunder
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Tropic Blunder » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:43 am

I was wondering who snapped that up!
Jake