Roundhouse Billy locking up

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
5H17
Cleaner
Cleaner

Roundhouse Billy locking up

Post by 5H17 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:59 pm

I have recently bought a Roundhouse Billy that has a bit of a problem. After raising steam it seems to 'lock up' and won't move more than a few inches in either direction initially. Eventually (often after a little assistance) it will go, and once running it's fine. It all moves ok when cold too.

Live steam is a relatively new thing for me so I'm a bit puzzled. Logically, the only thing I can think of is that the regulator seal is faulty and is allowing steam to pass which then condenses in the cylinders. Does that sound plausible, or does anyone have any other suggestions?

f.schulz
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Roundhouse Billy locking up

Post by f.schulz » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:04 pm

First please read the owners manual( http://www.roundhouse-eng.com/pdf/billy.pdf ), and keep the prescriptions from there, especially the boiler, lubricator and gas filler advices. Don`t forgett to remove 30ml water from the fullfilled boiler!

If this was correct done than I can only imagine this answer to the written problem:

It sounds after a little steamed up water in the superheater tube, that brings the billy very short to move. This is normal with RH locos, my both have the same appearance.

Wait until there are more than 20 psi into the boiler and try to run it forwards and backwards, you will remark much water is comming out. If this is removed by blowing out from the system Your loko will run normally.

Steamers from other manufacturers have the same problems, when they have no drain valves in the pistons.

If You have a defect regulator valve seal, You see it steaming out or it is impossible to regulate down the speed followed by a derailed loco in th next curve. :shock:

The best would be You visit with Your Billy an experienced steamer in Your near to learn it. If You would life in Bavaria, Germany I could offer You this service from me, no question.

Good luck

Frederic

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:10 pm

That sounds totally plausible, however, it's also completely normal. The cylinders won't warm up without steam going through them, so even if your regulator seal is not faulty, the loco will "lock up" at first once you open the regulator. The only thing you can do about this is install cylinder cocks. You could, I suppose, while the engine is warming up, put the valve gear in forward, push it forward a bit, then put it in Reverse and push it backwards, to encourage any water in the cylinders from the last running session to move along, but the second any steam gets in there, regardless of the health of the regulator, it will instantly turn into water and lock the engine up until it manages to clear it. That's just what these things do.

You could check for a faulty regulator by propping up the buffer beams on some wooden blocks, and steaming the engine without its wheels touching the ground. If you can stop the wheels from turning by shutting the regulator, then I think it's probably closing just fine. These engines will turn their wheels with mouth pressure when the weight is off them.
Last edited by Keith S on Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:23 am

I have had similar challenges with my new Millie - just a case of it settling in - I now steam her up on blocks and if when she's at pressure and I open the Reg up and she doesn't get her wheels going, I lift her to some tracks and help her forward and backward for a few rotations, after a bit of spluttering she clears herself, I pop her back onto blocks , open the Reg, she spins her wheels happily and off we go on her duties.

I also make sure I prep her in the exact order the manual states (oil, gas and last water, taking the 35ml out) - this has made a real difference' - I did get into a habit of doing water first and I had more spluttering problems. Not sure of the science why this happens but it does seem to make a difference :bom:
Where did I put that uncoupler?

5H17
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by 5H17 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:37 pm

Thanks everyone. Having given it a proper test run today it's definitely water in the cylinders, and far more than my Lady Anne ever seems to suffer from. Having said that I think part of the problem was that the regulator servo was poorly adjusted so it was barely opening when wide open on the controller. A little servo adjustment (and a little hand assistance) seemed to cure the problem and it ran fine after that.