can a Bertie be made to look more, well Austrian/German?

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

can a Bertie be made to look more, well Austrian/German?

Post by artfull dodger » Mon May 22, 2017 9:26 pm

Bertie is obviously UK looking by nature from Roundhouse. I have a buyer for my Sammie, but if nobody wants Bertie or my Ruby #5, I wont be able to afford anything else that is more European looking like a Billy or a William if one could be found second hand. So, could with a few simple mods, Bertie look more the part pulling my LGB rolling stock? Of the top of my head would be removal of the lamp irons and a single lantern from Regner(Similar to the one on a LGB Stainz) installed on a bracket in front of the stack. Removal of the brass chimney top or a different chimney all together. Body modifications are beyond my skills so the saddle tank and round windows would have to stay. Maybe do the Walscheart valve gear and loose the running plate above the cylinders(this would do away with the lamp irons). I would also put one of those lanterns on the back of the cab as well. With 3 or 4 LGB meter gauge wagons, I find the speed is controlable and he isnt trying to bounce off the track when he goes thru a turnout at one side. Running with lighter load he wanted to pick the points and derail if speed was to fast. Not so with a heavier load hooked up, even when the speed got a bit more than I liked. Ideas and suggestions welcome. I will have spending $$ with the sale of Sammie, so I can get all the upgrades to Bertie and more if I should choose to. Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Re: can a Bertie be made to look more, well Austrian/German?

Post by Keith S » Thu May 25, 2017 5:23 pm

I don't think it can be done, mate. I've never seen a picture of a German tank loco with a saddle tank, or round spectacles. It would probably be less expensive and less futile to just acquire some British rolling stock and enjoy your Bertie the way it is.

Fat Farlake
New User
New User

Post by Fat Farlake » Thu May 25, 2017 6:58 pm

There was once a simular question on a German forum: https://www.drehscheibe-online.de/foren ... 1,page=all.

(Use Google translate to understand)

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Fri May 26, 2017 2:00 pm

I actually ended up trading all 3 of my engines for one nice Aster Swiss Federal RR Eb 3/5 2-6-2T from a local modeler that wanted more small engines. Hasn't been run in years so I will have to wake it back up. She will just be a steam up engine as the current railway's curves are to tight. But I was already planning the next line along our back fence for next year. Now I have an engine to build it for! I sold off most of my field railway cars on another forum and purchased a couple of Marklin Maxi gauge 1 metal box wagons for the new engine to pull. Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!