Bielefeld Hf110c on Roundhouse chassis.

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
daan
Fireman
Fireman

Bielefeld Hf110c on Roundhouse chassis.

Post by daan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:52 pm

In this thread I would like to introduce the Bielefeld locomotive, an HF110c. This one is a bit special, since it has no tender, but a so called "Rucksack" and bigger watertanks on both sides. LGB/ Aster made the tenderversion of these locomotives, the one which has a rucksack has been on sale a very short time as a small series based on a roundhouse chassis/ boiler with an aftermarket body.

On the Dutch "grootspoorforum" one of my collegue steamers bought it on a jumble and tried to get it a bit in shape. It was in a bit sorry state, but as known with roundhouses, a sorry state is not the end of the road mostly.

And it had a 70s radiocontrol in it, wheelhubs where damaged and some other bits and pieces where gone.

He then rebuilt the chassis and repainted the body. Of course he got it running, but it worked somewhat erratic and he didn't want to spend the time to get that sorted, because of a lot of other projects. So I bought the locomotive to work it out and finish the rebuild.

This was the locomotive as I bought it. It looks a lot better as in the beginning, but it didn't run well. It missed a cylinderhead screw and both cylinders where loose. Right side forward was halfway and left side forward completely down, so the directionarm needed sorting. When this was sorted, de right cylindervalve needed some adjustment to switch it over earlier in forward "gear". Eventually I got it running smoothly.

This is a picture of the original locomotive:

The windows on the model where much too small and the back needed a lot more detail + underframe. I like the black colour more than the green, that's why I kept it black. This was the "Bielefeld" with additional detail:

And eventually after repainting:

I guess the loco is about 30 years old, may be more. But it runs great with plenty of steam to spare, even in winter. It has a chuffer, so it makes noise as well, and I like the "dancing" of the locomotive when it is working a heavy train.
It is manual control, since I don't have a big layout and I like a steam locomotive to be the way they where meant to be, without electronics.. The regulator can be operated without opening the cab and directional control is accessable through a window.

"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Bielefeld Hf110c on Roundhouse chassis.

Post by Gralyn » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:59 am

You must be very pleased with the outcome.
Regards Graham.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:51 pm

I like the work you have done to the rear of the loco adding the lamps, do they all light up?

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:25 pm

No, not yet. I will get LED's in eventually, but for now only the looks are allright. I'm indeed very pleased with the outcome, it's a great little locomotive and it pulls like a horse. 8)

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Mon May 01, 2017 11:00 am

Great result. A real handsome chunky loco.

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:31 pm

Since I had half a can of royal blue carpaint left from the Regner locomotive, I thought the Bielefeld locomotive would look nice in a blue jacket too. After sanding an spraying the engine, I found pictures of the original locomotive in the livery belonging to the new name she has: Francesca.

It now needed a red stripe to look similar, which I added and I finished it off with a coat of semi matt clear varnish.

I must say that it is a big step forward in her looks.

Before:

After:

The Francesca has been sold to the Dampfbahn Schwägalp and has been renamed to "Tierwis", like mentionned before.

Here is some history of the real locomotive, the last step, the move to the DS has only happened in my world.. :D

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:17 pm

You don't waste no time painting!

I would mess about for ages getting a loco looking like that.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:18 pm

Nice restoration.

You should be pleased with the result.

Well done.

Ian
Ian

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:38 am

Looks great, would look awsome running with my LGB/Aster Frank S at a steam up. Really love it once you painted the body work blue. Mike the Aspie
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:55 am

I agree about the paint scheme. Much better in blue. My live steam loco was almost blue, but maroon won in the end by a small margin. My next loco might be blue.

It's even more impressive because it's prototypical.

Ian
Ian