New Millie

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: New Millie

Post by markoteal » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:16 am

Frederic - thanks for your post - a great Blue Millie you have there!

Thanks for sharing your experiences of the 'running in' time - I'm hoping to get a number of runs out of her over the Easter holidays which should help.

Also seen you have fitted RC to her - thats something I'll be looking at in the future as I now appreciate how the gradients on my line will impact the driving - lets say they make it a bit more challenging that a dead level track

Here is the video I have been promising - spot the clip which was taken as she was running out of steam!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE6cfoHi8aQ
Where did I put that uncoupler?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:31 am

I think Mick should have had sunglasses, that's one shiny new loco. Well tamed by the momentum wagon.
Grant.

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:41 pm

Loved the video - nicely made little film. The loco does look great, you've got a handle on her. So, is she staying shiny or are you going to weather her?

Cheers

J
Garden railways don't run on steam or electric rather wine and Jedi master level patience

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:43 pm

Nice and shiny for now James - I'll keep her spic an span whilst she is the pride of the line - perhaps when I take the plunge for a second steamer, she can become a bit more workman like

I'm planning to weather my first battery loco, Lola as I do think the industrial locos look better 'grimed up'

One question for you all - when I oil her before her first run of the day, do I oil the Pistons or will the steam oil sort out that area of the motion out? - I do the wheels, links and behind the wheels for the slip gears - basically all the motion

Ran her twice today and she getting better - on the second run she didn't get going the same way - as pressure came up , she struggled to get the Pistons going- there was creamy coloured oily 'blobs' forming around the piston entrances to the cylinders - I shut the regulator, waiting a min then opened again, this time giving it a bit more, initially nothing then suddenly very brisk action -and the gunk cleared - it was though she was blowing her nose - after that she ran fine - is that what people call priming? Made me wonder if i shouldn't be oiling the Pistons before we start?

Cheers

Mark
Last edited by markoteal on Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:52 pm

markoteal wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:43 pm Nice and shiny for now James - I'll keep her spic an span whilst she is the pride of the line - perhaps when I take the plunge for a second steamer, she can become a bit more workman like

I'm planning to weather my first battery loco, Lola as I do think the industrial locos look better 'grimed up'

One question for you all - when I oil her before her first run of the day, do I oil the Pistons or will the steam oil sort out that area of the motion out? - I do the wheels, links and behind the wheels for the slip gears - basically all the motion

Ran her twice today and she getting better - on the second run she didn't get going the same way - as pressure came up , she struggled to get the Pistons going- there was creamy coloured oily 'blobs' forming around the piston entrances to the cylinders - I shut the regulator, waiting a min then opened again, this time giving it a bit more, initially nothing then suddenly very brisk action -and the gunk cleared - it was though she was blowing her nose - after that she ran fine - is that what people call priming? Made me wonder if i shouldn't be oiling the Pistons before we start?

Cheers

Mark

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:50 am

Sounds like it to me, our oscillator locomotives do something similar when they have water in the cylinders.
Try running the locomotive again but this time leave the regulator open when you warm up, close it when it starts to move off. One of our club members does this and I've never seen it prime on him.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:05 pm

Cheers - I'll give that a go - what about oiling the pistons - do I do them with the external oil or do I leave the steam oil to lubricate them?

Thanks

Mark

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:19 pm

Our oldest locomotive is a 21 year old Lady Anne. We've never externally lubricated the pistons, relying on the steam oil only.
Still going with no new parts!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:42 pm

Don't get too concerned with oilling every time as your loco is not doing constant laps at a fast pace. Too much oil just attracts hair and dirt.

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:48 pm

I only externaly oil the piston and valve shafts where they pass thru the glands if the model has sat unused for several months. Otherwise I just let the steam oil take care of business. Sounds like she was a bit over filled. If and when you put the water glass option on her, you only fill up to 3/4 of the glass, this allow room for the water to expand as it heats to a boil. When you like this feature, you fill the boiler full, then suck off 30ml of water to allow space for expansion and steam to form. That being said, the water top up system with sight glass is one of the best options you can add. And some water and oily stuff from the piston glands is normal when clearing the usual condensation of steam back to water in cold cylinders. How much is dependant on how cold the weather and thus the model is. You will also want to flush the side rods, and slip eccentrics every couple of runs, espically when running outdoor or on ground level lines. Oil naturaly attracts dirt and grit, which will wear bearings and eccentrics fast. The previous owner of my Sammie was using sand on the oily track for traction, this wore the coupling rods and eccentrics. I flush the lower half of my models in my little bench top parts washing tank, allow to drip dry over night, then relubricate the next day. The side rods are easy to replace when worn, the eccentrics will need a trip back to Roundhouse. Keep on steaming her, RH models only get better with use! Mike

here is my Sammie's backhead with all the extra options fitted.
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:02 pm

Mike - brilliant feedback - thank you :D

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:08 pm

JMORG wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:19 pm Our oldest locomotive is a 21 year old Lady Anne. We've never externally lubricated the pistons, relying on the steam oil only.
Still going with no new parts!
Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:16 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:42 pm Don't get too concerned with oilling every time as your loco is not doing constant laps at a fast pace. Too much oil just attracts hair and dirt.
Thanks -yes my end to end layout needs careful slow driving with the gradients - so you are spot on with your observation - we are now running end to end which is great and each run needs a little less play on the regulator - 2 more runs today

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:07 am

RE Priming / unwillingness to go before bursting into life: new loco, it will do that. My Bertie does the same. Very sprightly little engine once going. :) Make sure you aren't filling the water to the top and if you are, take out 40ml to allow steam room in the boiler.

My now runin slip eccentric Lady Anne (yes, I had a new slipex LA in 2015...long story) did the same but once going runs very smoothly and like a cat on fire.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:46 am

Like a cat on fire! LOL

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Mon May 01, 2017 7:11 pm

Another quick query - after a few more runs (which have been great) the regulator is becoming a little slack - guess the various nuts and bolts are bedding in - to tighten it up, do I need to alter the nut just in front on the regulator - is there a right way? and how tight does it need to be? the regulator seems to 'move out' on the screw (sorry for the description - I'm not an engineer!)

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon May 01, 2017 7:50 pm

I think that the Millie is a cracking little engine. In a way it is like going back 30 years to the very first mamods (okay, I know that a Millie will run great from the box). But what you have is a nice simple engine that is just crying out to be personalised and spived up a bit. Loads of things to bolt on and adapt as and when. A wonderful opportunity to make something unique.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

f.schulz
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by f.schulz » Mon May 01, 2017 9:03 pm

Hallo Mark,

Your problem with the regulator is not really a problem.
As I understud the retainer nut is moving during the throttel is changed from closed to open, following it becomes unsealed. :shock:
Tighten the scrab nut with the fingers until she remains during moving the throttle. It even helps to avoid this by lubrificate the small O-ring with vaseline. For this You have to unscrew the nut and the throttle than You see the red 0-ring.
The valve is from the beginning not 100% steam proof to the cyliders. This will become better with the time or you seat it in. :P
In Germany I do this with toothpaste on the sealing face beneath a unamusing Football Play. After 2 half times open and close it shoud be steamproof.
But i did need this technik only with my RC valve not with the manual one.

Similar it was with my Darjeeling but not so strong, so i spared the action toothpaste!

All works on this valve and other parts on the loko with much care please and without great power! Otherwise You get it damaged and need an new one.

Best regards

Frederic

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Wed May 03, 2017 8:09 am

There is a huge discussion about how tight is tight on nuts and bolts. My colleague who has 2 hands like coal shovels and plays rugby on semi-proffesional level has another "tight" then I do. :lol:

As with every "master", you only become one by making mistakes. Better do the mistakes that way that you can undo the damage, thus gently tighten the nut first. If it comes loose in a short while, put it a little bit tighter the next time, just untill it only comes loose in about every few months, eventually it will stick on it's place anyway. You only need to deform the o-ring that much that it touches the surface of the regulatoraxle to seal it off. Vaseline indeed will help it "glide" better.

Better a few times retightening than overtighten it and get the internal organs damaged. Only use tools on joints between pipework (so called unions) and if you use tools, keep them between your finger and thumb, so it can slip easily when it's tight. If you keep it in your fist, like a 3/4" spanner, you can't "feel" when its thight. That way you will tear up the thread and that is a difficult damage to repair.

It's like judging in advance how much force you probably need to get it fixed. If you use your fingers, the force is in your wrist. Gentle, subtile, agile, but not so strong. If you use your fist, the force is in your upper arm, more monkey like. :lol:
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Thu May 04, 2017 8:20 am

Cheers Daan & Frederic - great feedback - I'll have a fettle over the coming days and see how we get on - think its just me "getting used to things"