For the love of O rings!

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

For the love of O rings!

Post by artfull dodger » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:14 pm

Yesterdays post delivered my friends second hand Pearse "The Earl" from the UK to me. Today we decided to steam him up and see how he runs. There were steam leaks everywhere, from the bottom of the steam valve in the cab that switches from whistle to cylinders, under the smoke box and the cylinders were fighting themselves from leaks between the valve block and the cylinder block. I am not pleased the model was sent in this condition for the money spent when my Merlin from the same dealer ran and continues to run flawlessly. However shipping back to the UK isnt really an option when what we have are a bunch of perished O rings. I had a small supply that he sent when I was rebuilding a Merlin Mayflower. I replaced every O ring that I could, but am short 1 ring on each valve/cylinder, so there is a bit of seepage between the blocks for the moment. I have requested a dozen O rings from the dealer so I can finish this and have them for my Merlin. I have yet to find a good local source for such small and thin O rings. As soon as the model cools down, I will refit the body(contains the battery for the RC) and try to run in the garden. Hopefully the model will be able to run thru a curve without stalling and struggling to keep steam up from all the leaks(which are gone in the bench test). I will chuck this one up to the dealer being busy getting ready for the big national show and rushing to get the model in the post to the USA as I have never heard any bad about him or his shop. Cheers Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!