The New Arrival - No.4 - a Roundhouse Bertie!

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
dougrail
Driver
Driver

Re: The New Arrival - No.4 - a Roundhouse Bertie!

Post by dougrail » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:47 am

Big Jim wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:51 am That is a smart looking engine you have there, I do like the colour. I could be tempted down the route of a Bertie, but some of my other stuff would need to go first.

I take it Fennec is after the little, fox creature with un-feasibly large ears? Very appropiate.
The colour is the new Roundhouse 'dark blue' standard colour -- BS105 Oxford Blue, comes out very ultramarine though - all the better. :) I would say a Bertie is well worth it, I can see why they go down so well.

You're on the money regarding the name - yes, it is after the little desert fox with the huge ears :D

Gralyn wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:43 am Fenek is Maltese for Rabbit. Sounds the same.
True...can assure you it will be 'Fennec' as in the fox though. ;)

Chris -- bufferbeams blacking are being painted today.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:19 pm

dougrail wrote:Chris -- bufferbeams blacking are being painted today.
Well done Doug. As I bring my locos out of winter hibernation I'm slowly painting up those that are still in red.

Chris Cairns

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:13 pm

Chris Cairns wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:19 pm
dougrail wrote:Chris -- bufferbeams blacking are being painted today.
Well done Doug. As I bring my locos out of winter hibernation I'm slowly painting up those that are still in red.

Chris Cairns
Rear one done, that'll do for Pboro if I bring all three locos. Fennec is third choice though, unless specifically requested.

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:36 am

How was Peterbourgh Doug? Your cross heads and guides, I am guessing they are the ones used on the Silver Lady version of Lady Anne. They do fit the UK look, where as the exposed valve motion on Sammie fits the USA look. I am going to be getting a Bertie soon, in the lighter shade of blue that Roundhouse offered. Bertie being a bit smaller than Katie, fits my micro raised layout better. Also more affordable. I am working on a plan to hinge the cab roof, as my eye/hand cordination isn't the best(a not so good part of my disablity). I find getting the oiler top off difficult for my fingers. Thats my only real complaint with the basic series. If Accucraft can hinge the roof on my Ruby#5, which retails for nearly what a basic series does in the USA. Then Roundhouse should be able to design a simple wire hinge for thier basic series to make working in the cab easier. So I am working on a design in my head to make Sammie's roof hinged. Another question, what is your process and choice of paint for doing the side rods? I am thinking black wheels, black eccentric rods, then the same side and main rods like you did, along with cross head and guides. Cant wait to see yours after the name plates are added. My wanted me to call my future Bertie "Smurf"! I was like...noooooooooo! Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:49 am

artfull dodger wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:36 am How was Peterbourgh Doug? Your cross heads and guides, I am guessing they are the ones used on the Silver Lady version of Lady Anne. They do fit the UK look, where as the exposed valve motion on Sammie fits the USA look. I am going to be getting a Bertie soon, in the lighter shade of blue that Roundhouse offered. Bertie being a bit smaller than Katie, fits my micro raised layout better. Also more affordable. I am working on a plan to hinge the cab roof, as my eye/hand cordination isn't the best(a not so good part of my disablity). I find getting the oiler top off difficult for my fingers. Thats my only real complaint with the basic series. If Accucraft can hinge the roof on my Ruby#5, which retails for nearly what a basic series does in the USA. Then Roundhouse should be able to design a simple wire hinge for thier basic series to make working in the cab easier. So I am working on a design in my head to make Sammie's roof hinged. Another question, what is your process and choice of paint for doing the side rods? I am thinking black wheels, black eccentric rods, then the same side and main rods like you did, along with cross head and guides. Cant wait to see yours after the name plates are added. My wanted me to call my future Bertie "Smurf"! I was like...noooooooooo! Mike
Hi Mike,

Peterborough was excellent thank you, though my Caradoc and IoM loco took the stand there.

The crossheads and guides that I snitched were actually Karen ones, hence their unusual length. It sounds like that you are going for a Bertie in the Darjeeling / sky blue livery, which does suit them. Bertie is good for small / micro / easy engagements which is why I chose one for my smaller rake.
Roundhouse could probably do a wire hinge as they do their Classic locos, but costs means that they want to keep the design as simple if effective as possible. Don't forget: labour costs too, and Berties aren't built en masse in batches, but, to individual order, such as was mine.

What I did was get some 1pk aerosol etch primer, spray it into a simple plastic pot and quickly paint it onto the wheels and eccentric rods. Let that dry then brush painted on some grey matt enamel to act as a primer on the eccentric and wheels.

The eccentric was then painted matt black, and the wheels painted in a specific shade to match the RH paint, ordered from Phoenix precision.

Meanwhile I had lifted the rods off, and etch sprayed them separately before brush painting them red. Finally when wheels, rods and eccentrics were all dry the loco was reassembled.

For a name, I have elected to name mine 'Fennec'.

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:55 am

Thanks Doug, I seen you chose that name, and its very fitting for your new engine! I am going to have to source some of that paint from the UK as I need to touch up the paint work on Countess unless someone purchases it before I can do that. Did you use a generic shade of red or a "signal red" shade? The blue isn't the Darj blue, but the old standard blue that RH used even prior to the Darj engine. I wont feel bad if the Countess sticks around, she just wont come out except for steam ups at other railways for awhile. I do need my Merlin to sell to pay for my Bertie. I want to be able to run USA style or UK style on the micro layout. I had thought about doing the walschaerts conversion to Bertie, but the set up you went with, really fits the engine better much better. Cheers Mike

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:49 pm

I rather liked "Basil" for a name. "Fennec" is cool too though. 8)

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:40 am

I picked up my Bertie today at the steam up, exact same color as yours, he has already put the RH combination lever and cross head on, along with the chimney cap. So I need to so the cross head change, water sight glass and paint side rods. Good projects for the next week. Cheers Mike