Something for myself - A Gwalior Light Railway 4-6-0

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
LNR
Driver
Driver

Re: Something for myself - A Gwalior Light Railway 4-6-0

Post by LNR » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:21 pm

Glad that you got the loco fixed, and that your railway is back in operation. Looks good too.
Grant.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: Something for myself - A Gwalior Light Railway 4-6-0

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:32 pm

Snipped for clarity
[quote=workwright post_id=121940 time=1483302526 user_id=1321]
There is one in particular that he has owned for many years that had long taken my fancy. This 4-6-0 tender locomotive was constructed in 1909 by Kerr, Stuart in Stoke-on-Trent for the Gwalior Light Railway - no 16. Maharaja Madhav Roa II decided that the development of his province was hindered by the lack of good transport. Being an Anglophile he had followed with interest the development of the rail system in India and so naturally he chose British engineers and the Kerr, Stuart Co in particular to supply him with a system. At its peak, the system had well over 300 km track. To make construction cheap and speedy, it followed the trend of the 1890s for such railways to be built to narrow gauge. The gauge chosen was 2' but the length of the railway demanded large tender locomotives. The construction, therefore of the line plus all the rolling stock must have been an interesting challenge for the Kerr, Stuart designers. Their solution, in GLR no 16, is a very elegant and purposeful-looking engine.
[/img]

Does any one have more pics of the prototype loco and or the works drawings, works, there are features of this loco I wish to include in my freelance first time build. The Tender is especially appealing to me.
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams