NWNGR Moel Tryfan

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

NWNGR Moel Tryfan

Post by JMORG » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:18 pm

Decided to split this from another thread regarding the Morgan works.
The locomotive has has a design modification: The outside cylinders have been replaced by a hidden SVS motor with gear drive to the power bogie.
Dad modified the frame to accept the motor and has started the sheet work. I've modified a Billy smokebox (with new chimney) to better resemble the prototype more closely. The bogie pivots are now in place.
The locomotive will be painted and detailed as it was at the turn of the century (before it's merger with Snowdon Ranger).

Image[/img][/b][/quote]

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:50 pm

An update:
Bodywork pretty much complete except for a few small things (thanks to dad for that). I've started on the various detailing components, such as the sandboxes and the large air brake receiver (to go on the RH side).
Dad has soldered the smokebox and fitted the handrail and lamp plug. I've been attaching the Brandbight couplers and completing the buffer beams.

The locomotive now only needs plumbing to run!
As you can see the cylinders and bogie details are still to do. Hopefully we'll be able to find Peter Angus at the show and ask how he did his for his various Fairlie locomotives...

By the way, the locomotive lurking in the back is a part built Mayumbe Garratt. Dad is currently building two of these beasties! Hope to do an update on those later in the year once the house extension is complete.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Wed May 18, 2016 9:34 pm

Moel Tryfan has progressed rapidly in the last few months and is now running regularly and very well; pulling decent trains whilst running in.

Temporary coupling rods were made so that the engine could run. These pictures were taken a few weeks ago during its first run with carriages. It has pulled 6 bogie carriages with no effort although I tend to run it with 4 during running sessions to enable it to keep up with other engines.

As of now:

The locomotive now sports fresh laser cut rods (Stainless) and has had the Salter safety valve finished. It now only needs small details to finish (mainly to the chassis).
The locomotive is to have a new roof as the current one was damaged. This will be for the original "open" version. The distinctive, fully enclosed version will be remade once the engine is finished (the cab back is fixed to the roof).
I have sent these pictures to my original workshop instructor at Gloucester Engineering Training. He has asked for my permission to exhibit the locomotive for the college's open days (the first being January) to encourage Apprenticeships in Mechanical Engineering. Hopefully my company may also do the same!

midwalesstokie
New User
New User

Post by midwalesstokie » Wed May 18, 2016 10:24 pm

Very neat, I like the idea of fitting the steam motor in the rear bogie. I'm building a model of the W&L's Monarch (with lots of help from Tony Bird) with a homemade steam motor housed in the rear power bogie. It has run well on test and is slowly coming together.
James, South Wales

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sat May 21, 2016 8:29 am

Hi James,
Thanks for the compliments!
The motor drives the front bogie as per the norm. Most of the weight is on the front so it provides good traction that way.
Dad has built a Meyer in the past using various left overs including a modified Russell body! This one was built with the motor in the middle, powering both bogies via cardan shafts.
Click here to see:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcm3TgXZYY8

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:17 pm

I would be very intersted if you could give greater detail to how the steam motor works etc as i have never thought of that method to power a unusual prototype.
Cheers
Joe
Steam is highly under rated

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:22 pm

Finally finished! Moel Tryfan stands at Jason Junction; resplendent in it's new livery by Barley Pit Works.

Although it's run in the brass (and run well), I haven't yet run it fully painted; partly because of the weather but more importantly because of the fact it's my Apprenticeship project.
Last Wednesday the locomotive was displayed at the company open evening as part of the "Apprenticeship" stand; being looked after by one of the department managers. Apparently many visitors loved the model including the Chairman himself! He tried to organize a chat with me the next day via the apprenticeship management although I had to decline due to the full day of meetings I had with customers...
Still, apparently he wants to meet me in the new year, best get my suit out...
Moel Tryfan will be next displayed at the Gloucestershire Engineering Training open evening in January as part of my companies' stand. I promise to run it after that!

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:34 pm

Looking good Jason! :thumbright: Look forward to seeing her running soon(ish)...
Dan

Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:42 pm

You deserve all the praise you can get for that superb piece of engineering, dine out on it!!!!!
I like the way you keep the Chairman waiting too.... you deserve to go far in your chosen career
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

paullad1984
Fireman
Fireman

Post by paullad1984 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:49 pm

Bloody jealous. Wish I had your skills!

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:15 pm

My dad did provide much help with this project! I will do a write up shortly of this years projects.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: NWNGR Moel Tryfan

Post by JMORG » Tue May 23, 2017 9:53 am

Because Sunday was a nice day, and because I finished the Gladstone carriage:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-HGH2IaG0fE
The red VoR carriage is posing as a summer carriage until the real one is done.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue May 23, 2017 10:46 am

She certainly does run well and looks beautiful too!
A proud moment for you I'm sure.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Tue May 23, 2017 11:28 am

Finally! It had a burner issue, not wanting to burn very well and no amount of gas would help! We eventually found that the burner was covered in a soot-like(!) substance, most likely from a bad gas can.
Swapping the burners made it run! Still needs plenty of running in order for it to run as well as our Peter Angus Fairlie. In the brass we had it running with 6 bogie carriages and 3 4 wheelers, pulled this with ease!

merlin2
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by merlin2 » Tue May 23, 2017 5:10 pm

Looks great and with a performance to match. Congrats to you, and your Dad :D
Merlin