Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:33 pm

Not much fun time in the Red Room, gotta make a gold coin making bikes. I was making some new fixtures for the bike frame building out of aluminium, I detest aluminium, it makes a mess, it goes every where, it sticks to every thing, coolant every where, hard to clean up. It took 3 hours to clean the piles of it from the milling and boring. And a floor wash to finish up.

Then on a very hot and humid evening with the fan on notched up to #2 , ( I saw a fish swim past me last night) I started the process of making the lifting links.

Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:04 pm

LLW #1 has a pair of lifting links in the parts box now

The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:32 pm

ge_rik wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:17 am Brilliant precision engineering as always -even down to the corks for the oiling points.

Just out of curiosity - 5 servos? Regulator, reverser, ..... errr damper? ...injector? ......errr...?

Rik
About the corks, do they have a piece of bamboo in the middle to allow air to pass ? :lol: :lol: Just kidding.. Nice work as always, I just wonder when detailling gets too fiddly, even for you..
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:06 pm

A parcel from the land of the long white cloud arrived at the POR stores warehouse. As it contained the expansion link support bracket castings it was forwarded to the Loco works machine and erecting shed, The Red Room.
The directors have a look and the workshop manager, who always looks pensive, is pondering the machining work to come, while one of the grease monkeys looks on, (he is a reformed former criminal)

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:10 pm

A wee bit of lathe work last night.
The PB frame bushes for the cylinder drain shaft. I drilled .50mm oil holes again , just for kicks and giggles.
Also sourcing miniature cane straws for the corks ;)

Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:27 pm

As I contemplate the boiler construction I have a gander at the latest AMBSC Sub Miniature boiler code.
Page 5 2.3.11 "Boilers with unflanged plates have a minimum plate thickness of 3.00mm."
B.Wilsons drawings call for 2.00mm copper for the tube plates/crown in the coal fire loco.
Aghhhh, I have already bought 2.00 copper sheet and 3.00mm sheet is $98.00aud plus postage for 300 x 300 sheet.
If one flanges the plates you can use 1.60mm but I cannot see how it is possible with the shape and bends of rear tube plate/crown design on page 145 of Steam Trains in the Garden.
The code mentions 2.3.10 last line, "The clear Flange width shall not be less than 3 times the plate thickness"
What is 'Clear flange width" ?
I am trying to sort this before I go to my boiler inspector.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:49 am

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:27 pm As I contemplate the boiler construction I have a gander at the latest AMBSC Sub Miniature boiler code.
Page 5 2.3.11 "Boilers with unflanged plates have a minimum plate thickness of 3.00mm."
B.Wilsons drawings call for 2.00mm copper for the tube plates/crown in the coal fire loco.
Tried to reply to your post on the Yahoo 16mm steam group, but as usual the Yahoo circus seems to have lost the plot and the reply...... :roll:

Anyway.....

Sounds like you are quoting from the AMBSC Part 1 Copper Code, but the relevant code for small boilers like the Eric boiler designs is the AMBSC Part 3 Sub-Miniature Code.

If you check Brian's book, you'll find a statement on the first page, 4th para. of Chapter 10 that the boiler was designed using the AMBSC Code Part 3 - Sub- Miniature Boilers as a guide.

I'd suggest you get yourself a copy of the Part 3 Code, as the Part 1 Code is intended for the ride-on scales. It is only used in garden scale if you are building a larger than normal copper boiler of more than 77mm diameter or a working pressure greater than 520kpa (~75psi). Or any other design change outside the Part 3 parameters.

For sub-miniature boilers, unflanged end plates have a minimum specified thickness of 1.6mm for boilers up to 51mm dia. and a minimum thickness of 2mm for boilers from 51mm to 77mm dia.

There is some overlap between the Codes and the detailed design rules for copper boilers are in Part 1. Brian probably used 2mm copper in the coal fired boiler to simplify the firebox crown staying and the formulas for this are in Part 1. FYI there is also a drawing on page 18 section 3.5 of Part 1 showing how flanged plates are defined.

Your club boiler inspector should know all this, unless he's unfamiliar with the sub-miniature boiler Code, which may be the case in clubs without a garden railway presence.

Regards,
Graeme

bambuko
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by bambuko » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:34 am

No Graeme, this is new "improved" code :evil:
One way you can possibly get away with it Dazza, is to argue "grandfather rights" to an existing (previously approved) design.
After all, they are not going to ground all existing Erics in Australia???
So providing you have started building your boiler before new code come into existence....?? :thumbup:

bambuko
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by bambuko » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:06 pm

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:10 pm ...I drilled .050mm oil holes again , just for kicks and giggles...
That made me giggle indeed :lol:
Decimal point with a mind of it's own :?:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:38 pm

bambuko wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:06 pm
Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:10 pm ...I drilled .050mm oil holes again , just for kicks and giggles...
That made me giggle indeed :lol:
Decimal point with a mind of it's own :?:
Whoops :oops:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:44 pm

Hi Graeme, I am actually quoting from AMBSC Code Part 3 Issue 2.0 - 2017
“Sub -Miniature Boilers”
page 5
2.3.11 Boilers with unflanged plates shall have a minimum plate thickness of 3mm..

Not Brian Wilson's fault if that clause has been added or changed since the earlier cod or since my copy of his book went to print. However that clause says that a new boiler built now with 2mm plates will not be compliant to the code. Of course I will be speaking with my boiler inspector or inspectors at a club meeting soon.
I will just order a 3mm plate after I pull off a bank job as soon as I get a fast car and a stocking and ensure that I am compliant to the code as I serve my time 😊
I am well drilled with boiler paper work and having a current BA ticket and a copy of RISSB Boiler code and Practice on my shelf behind me and many hours crawling around the fire boxes re-tubing full size loco boilers on weekends, I like to gather the info and think it through and then move.

Yahoo style forum, chat group format is "errrr yukkkkk" actmco (according to my current opinion)

Cheers Dazza

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:53 am

Making the cranks for the cylinder drains, starting off as 16mm free machining steel. I did a bit of learning using the centre thingie in the centre thingabob. Find the two centres and then drill 1.00mm holes 6.30mm from the shaft hole and then remove and shape, via saw, files and buttons

11thHour
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by 11thHour » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:44 am

Hi Dazza,
Andrew Allison’s boiler design for Jack, which has a boiler diameter of 50.8 mm, shows the following dimensions on plate thickness-
Tubeplates & backhead. 3mm
Outer firebox wrapper. 3mm ( it is a wet leg design)
Inner firebox wrapper. 2mm
The drawing is dated 27/10/2015 and published in AME June 2017. The drawing is noted as compiling with AMBSC pt3, but doesn’t say which version.
Andrew is presumably close to those who frame the code.
I am no engineer, but I am guessing the inner firebox wrapper, which forms the firebox crown in the Allison design, is thinner than the other plates so that a failure will cause an implosion into the firebox rather than an external explosion. In the Wilson design the crown is combined with the backhead, which I am guessing will be the sticking point for your argument.
If you need to go the 3mm route, contact me offline for a vaguely possible solution.

Tim

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:11 pm

Hi Tim, I appreciate your reply. I have 3mm Copper plate ordered, now looking at the latest code I cannot find anything to do with Barrel wall thickness in the latest code. The only reference is 2.3.2 The Maximum diameter of any sub miniature boiler is 63.5mm
I will keep this boiler simple with the Briggs style as in the book, but maybe ...................???
I stopped subscribing to AME mag as I detest pages and pages of photos of bums on trains in the club reports. I might chase the back issue up for that boiler.
I will contact you soon.
Cheers Dazza
11thHour wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:44 am Hi Dazza,
Andrew Allison’s boiler design for Jack, which has a boiler diameter of 50.8 mm, shows the following dimensions on plate thickness-
Tubeplates & backhead. 3mm
Outer firebox wrapper. 3mm ( it is a wet leg design)
Inner firebox wrapper. 2mm
The drawing is dated 27/10/2015 and published in AME June 2017. The drawing is noted as compiling with AMBSC pt3, but doesn’t say which version.
Andrew is presumably close to those who frame the code.
I am no engineer, but I am guessing the inner firebox wrapper, which forms the firebox crown in the Allison design, is thinner than the other plates so that a failure will cause an implosion into the firebox rather than an external explosion. In the Wilson design the crown is combined with the backhead, which I am guessing will be the sticking point for your argument.
If you need to go the 3mm route, contact me offline for a vaguely possible solution.

Tim

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:23 pm

More Filing buttons

The dark residue is graphite and oil, from the packing. I keep every thing oily due to the high humidity here and hot weather.

A few more bits and then it will be setting up my first ever RC servo and controller.
New stuff is fun, it is about the journey.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:57 pm

Some of Saturday and all off Sunday and some of Sunday evening in the Red Room. A lot of thinking and sketching time in there.

Bushes to snug up the M2.5

Servo mounts mounted

Another crank to make and a linkage to complete the mechanics of the drain operating kit.
I am pleased I got the thinking out of dimensions such that it all can installed and removed with knocking down the rest of the Loco.
I have never used RC equipment before and yet to rig it all up and test.

Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:06 pm

Interested to see how the servo drains in action once the loco is ready to power under her own steam.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:39 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:06 pm Interested to see how the servo drains in action once the loco is ready to power under her own steam.
All is smooth so far, I followed B.Wilson's drawings but for the change to exhaust sideways. I am concerned about leakage. If all gets to much, I will gum the lot up with High Temp sealer and the drains will become cosmetic fluff.
I am very interested to see it steam and if the valve gear redesign works out. On the simulators it was a huge improvement. When all is working and steams well and the paint is done, I will be on the big bird to the UK to visit the Peterborough show and steam and bicycle gigs. Looks like 2020 will be the year at the current pace.

It is all a journey till I go belly up. Life is too short to watch Soapies............................charge and take no prisoners ...........

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:14 pm

Tuesday night, after dinner, ABC Jazz on the radio, (Nick Cave is for when I clean the house, Radio National or the Cricket when working)
the crank that will connect the servo linkage to the drain crank shaft emerges from the tonnage of swarf :roll:
I started following the https://riksrailway.blogspot.com.au/201 ... rx102.html on Monday night but the thunder storms curtailed my first efforts with RC equipment but I did get the servo to move. YAY! :D I went down to the Pottery Shed to show MAM.

Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:53 pm

Ground another tool up for the Cowells ME90
Working up the cylinder drain linkage on a hot and humid evening.

I am using the stainless valve rods with 10BA thread that I discarded when I revised that set up.