The Littlest Baldwin

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
GTB
Driver
Driver

The Littlest Baldwin

Post by GTB » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:39 pm

This model came my way at a model railway exhibition a year ago in very down condition. It is an Argyle Locomotive Works Philadelphia and while they are long out of production, details are still on the net at the Wayback Machine site. http://web.archive.org/web/200101241005 ... ldlph.html  This one seems to have been built from the machinist kit version, rather than supplied RTR by Argyle. When I found it, it looked like this.

While I've worked with a mate in 7.25" and then 12" gauge for years, this was my first garden scale steam loco and seemed like it would be a good introduction into building models in Fn3 scale (1:20.3).

When checked, the wheels/motion were frozen and it was rough around the edges. At home, it freed up with some penetrating oil and a bit of work, but it refused to run on air. No big deal, it was cheap and I had bought it as a retirement project in any case and the Argyle drawings were still with it.

It was partly dismantled and found to have negligible wear in the working parts, but the valve gear was completely out of whack and a lot of the bolts/screws/etc. were in bad condition. The wheels had been fitted on with Loctite and one was loose, which wasn't helping the valve events, as it was the driving axle.

After that the chassis was completely dismantled and all parts were degreased, stripped of paint, cleaned and replaced if necessary. This tray contains the parts that were replaced.

Following re-assembly, the first air and then steam trials took place early this year. The valve gear was interesting, as I've never set up Stephenson gear before and there wasn't a lot of information about timing it that I could find. Eventually I got it working OK and the chassis was ticking over on 5psi of air on the test stand.

Next the boiler was inspected and given a hydraulic test. Luckily it was found to be sound. After replacing a few boiler fittings and adding a pressure gauge it was steamed for the first time, but then wouldn't maintain pressure under load when fitted to the chassis.

That's when the burner saga started. Three burners, two butane tanks and three sizes of jet later, it had stopped howling like a banshee, lit easily, the steaming time had doubled and the gas supply still ran out before the water did.

Somewhere around Easter I was happy enough with the bench running to complete the assembly and add/repair/change the detail parts to match the drawings and some prototype photos I'd found by that stage. It now looked like this.

After a more runs on the test stand, it had notched up about 2 hours running under steam and it was off to a friend's track to run trials. The photo shows it sitting over the ash pit raising steam for one of the early test runs. It took a while to get used to driving it and the final burner design was fitted around this time, which was what permanently stopped it sounding like the previously mentioned Banshee.

A few more runs and it was time to start painting. I wasn't happy with the first colour used, so it has actually been painted twice.

Hereabouts, Spring has sprung, the grass has riz and the littlest Baldwin sits in the afternoon sun on the edge of the jungle behind the house, to have her portrait taken.

TVT History.

The T.V.T. is the Tambo Valley Tramway. Under Victorian (the state, not the Queen) legislation, only the govt owned VR could run a railway, everything else was legally regarded as a tramway. The story is that a shire council in the area of Victoria known as East Gippsland got tired of waiting for what passed for govt. in Victoria at the time to get around to building a railway into the region. So they built their own down the Tambo River valley to wharves at the mouth of the river, making it possible for primary produce to be shipped to Melbourne by coastal shipping.

The smallest locomotive in the Baldwin narrow gauge catalog was the 6 8 1/3-C and being assembled from standard parts was available on a short lead time from Baldwin. Omeo and a sister were imported to build the tramway at about the same time as the real Fairymead Sugar Mill Baldwin locos, but the TVT was built to 3' gauge like most Victorian timber tramways, not the 2' used in the Queensland canefields. In the period modelled (late 1920's) Omeo has been long out of mainline use and is working out it's time as the depot pet at the tramway workshops. Which is why the paint is clean, the brass is polished and the lettering is gold.

Here ends the story of the littlest Baldwin......

Regards,
Graeme
Last edited by GTB on Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

GardenRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: The Littlest Baldwin

Post by GardenRail » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:38 pm

You have done a lovely job Graeme and ended up with a very attractive little locomotive.....
Tag Gorton

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:38 pm

Yes, I agree, a very nice engine, and I must say I like your "railway story" that goes with it. Someday I shall come up with a story about how a little british 0-4-0 ended up in the Canadian Barrenlands, but I can't think of anything. I hope my story is as believable as yours.

Anyway, I love the engine. The red paint and the brass go together with the engine's shape to make a very pretty machine.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:29 pm

Looks very nice indeed - you will have learnt an AWFUL lot by doing that and you've got a delightful little loco into the bargain!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

LMS-Jools
Driver
Driver

Post by LMS-Jools » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:43 pm

Vety nice, any chance of a picture of your fianl burner design please. 8)

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:40 pm

Very Nice, attractive loco to.
Thanks
Jack

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:10 pm

LMS-Jools:58236 wrote:Vety nice,  any chance of a picture of your fianl burner design please.  8)
Forgot to take a photo when the loco was stripped down for painting, but it's a conventional poker type, with a 6mm OD by 55mm long burner tube in a 14mm ID x 165mm long flue.

The original burner had 14 slots almost 1mm wide, consequently not all the slots had a flame, heat output was low and it was noisy.

The second one was built to the original Argyle drawing and had the same dimensions as the original, but had 16 slots at 0.25mm wide and I fitted a GN size jet. This worked much better for boiling water, but for some reason it also whistled with a pure note, not unlike the whistle on the Puffing Billy Baldwins. I doubt the fault was in the Argyll design, just that I managed to make it with dimensions that set up a resonance in the gas flow.

Reducing the air flow and/or using stainless mesh, as usually recommended, certainly reduced the whistle, but also threw out the air/fuel ratio, making it hard to light and reducing the steam raising ability.

A friend uses Roundhouse boilers in two of his locos and so the burner was modified to be somewhat like a Roundhouse burner, with the replacement burner tube having three rows of sixteen 1mm holes at the same spacing as the slots on the Argyll design.

The whistle is now gone and it also works more efficiently. I had to reduce the jet to the next size down (size G), to stop the boiler blowing off continually and a smaller gas tank so the gas ran out before the water at the lower gas usage rate.

Brian Wilson's book has a useful section named 'The Black Art of Butane Burners' and I now agree completely with that sentiment.......

Graeme

LMS-Jools
Driver
Driver

Post by LMS-Jools » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:05 pm

Ta very muchly. ;) :D 8)

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:52 pm

Keith S:58214 wrote:Someday I shall come up with a story about how a little british 0-4-0 ended up in the Canadian Barrenlands, but I can't think of anything.
Been thinking about that.

The loco is the easy bit. If the Brits built and owned the railway, it would unquestionably have British locos. No way would a British engineer admit you'd need Canadian (or Russion) locos up there.

The really creative bit would be why even the Brits would want to build a railway up there. Alternative history maybe, with a British company developing the diamond deposits up past Lac de Gras before WW1.

In case you are wondering how I know about Ekati, I worked for the BHP before retirement.

Regards,
Graeme

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:00 pm

Good thinking. Maybe something to do with the Hudson's Bay Company too.

There are lots of little narrow-gauge railways in the NWT really, it's just that they are all abandoned and can only be seen as about 100 yards of track coming out of an old headframe with perhaps a little string of tippers rusting away. There's even one old place with some little electric locomotives lying on the ground beside the tracks. Most of the tracks are underground, though.

GTB, did you ever visit the NWT while you were with BHP?