Point Operation

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Nigel B
Cleaner
Cleaner

Point Operation

Post by Nigel B » Sun May 07, 2023 1:21 pm

Afternoon All
I’m thinking of operating my station points (there are 4) using levers and rods in place of the current electrical operation. The motors are the LGB ones & give no problems but I seem to be replacing the supposedly waterproof toggle switches about twice a year.
I’m using the LGB motors as solenoids with a rectified 18v DC supply built from a water feature motor transformer. Ample volts and amps.
Does anyone else have a manual remote system, i.e. scaled real thing? How did you do it? The longest rod would be 4’
Thanks in advance.
Nigel
FeckHallBahn

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Point Operation

Post by Phil.P » Sun May 07, 2023 2:14 pm

I believe Tenmille does a point-rodding system?

Have you considered 'wire in tube'?
It used to be based on old car choke cables, or bicycle brake cables. But any small-bore tube can be used, with stiff-ish wire threaded through.

Phil.P

Nigel B
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Nigel B » Sun May 07, 2023 2:27 pm

Thank you. I’ll try Tenmille, thanks for that signposting. I’ve tried wire in tube but couldn’t get enough push - pull was fine.
Cheers
FeckHallBahn

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sun May 07, 2023 3:16 pm

Nigel B wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:27 pm Thank you. I’ll try Tenmille, thanks for that signposting. I’ve tried wire in tube but couldn’t get enough push - pull was fine.
Cheers
What sort of distance are the points away from the "control levers"?
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun May 07, 2023 4:15 pm

Hi Nigel, I would strongly recommend using bicycle cable for this, simply because I have it installed on my line and it has been faultless for about eight years now. Initially I bought the 'wire in tube' but found it useless and confined it to the bin! I have two points operated by brake cables, one only about two feet in length, the other more like 2.5 metres, both work perfectly and are light enough to allow locomotives to change the points when trailing through. I don't use levers just rely on push-pull. The cable is stainless steel (I think) and the outer casing is flexible enough to site anywhere you wish, even underground as I have.
I also have a three metre long rod system in use, which works, but needs more maintenance as it is surface mounted and can be fouled by plants and general grot! This does have a point lever so is impossible to change from elsewhere along the system... a bit restricting at times. I will eventually replace this.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun May 07, 2023 4:28 pm

I have a couple of points operated via lengths of brass wire running through guides at 12" intervals ( or therabouts), with cranks as needed. The driving force is RC servo's in the signal box, but no reason why manual levers couldn't be used. It does tend to get grotty and stiff when not regularly used, though.
Philip

Nigel B
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Nigel B » Sun May 07, 2023 5:02 pm

Thanks for your help all
The furthest point is 4’ away from where I want to site my ground frame, the closest is 18”.
I’m probably going to go with Tenmille and do them one at a time as the DPDT toggles fail. Your points (pun unintended) about general grot and maintenance all noted but I like the idea of something above ground that looks like the real thing!
FeckHallBahn

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun May 07, 2023 5:22 pm

Link to my servo operated points
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP97X1lkO94
Philip

Nigel B
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Nigel B » Sun May 07, 2023 9:09 pm

Thank you
FeckHallBahn

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Mon May 08, 2023 9:25 am

philipy wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:22 pm Link to my servo operated points
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP97X1lkO94
I am very interested in how you control your point servos. I can see that you have some form of radio controller and a receiver. You must have written it up already - can you add a link to the details please.

Trevor

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon May 08, 2023 1:36 pm

Trevor Thompson wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:25 am
I am very interested in how you control your point servos. I can see that you have some form of radio controller and a receiver. You must have written it up already - can you add a link to the details please.
Hi Trevor,
There are two threads covering the points operation and then linking it to my 3d printed, servo operated, signal. So it gets a bit long altogether, I'm afraid!

The "RC" is a garage door opener, which Rik, wrote up previously. It's OK but on balance if i was doing it again I think I might go to conventional RC. The main adavantage is price!

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 0&start=30
https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... os#p138211
Philip

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Tue May 09, 2023 8:33 pm

Cliff Barker also supplies rodding, trestles and cranks. I've no experience of them but I've used other components of his and they have all been very good.

SVLR Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Nigel B
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Nigel B » Tue May 09, 2023 10:14 pm

👍👍
FeckHallBahn

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Tue May 09, 2023 11:20 pm

I have some Microprocessor chips on order that include Bluetooth LE which I am hoping to use to operate servos. The electronics need very little current but the servos need a bit more. The trouble with Mechanical methods is you can only operate them from one spot. OK if you design it with that in mind.

Don

Tony Bird
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Tony Bird » Wed May 10, 2023 9:20 am

Hi,

Some years ago I made some remotely operated points using rods and 'U' nails connected to a hand operated lever. The system still allowed trains to run through and switch the points themselves. a video of the prototypes might be found interesting.

https://youtu.be/dgDN8Rib_jQ

Take care Tony.

Nigel B
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Nigel B » Wed May 10, 2023 9:49 am

Fascinating solution, thanks for sharing it. I particularly like your trail through system
FeckHallBahn

Tony Bird
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Tony Bird » Wed May 10, 2023 1:00 pm

Hi Nigel,

Glad you like it. The working ones had sprung levers that kept them centralised the lever being pushed in the desired direction and released.

Take care Tony.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 11, 2023 8:04 am

Tony Bird wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:20 am Hi,

Some years ago I made some remotely operated points using rods and 'U' nails connected to a hand operated lever. The system still allowed trains to run through and switch the points themselves. a video of the prototypes might be found interesting.

https://youtu.be/dgDN8Rib_jQ

Take care Tony.
Neat solution. I like the musical accompaniment towards the end :thumbup:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

3 minutes of fame
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by 3 minutes of fame » Sun May 21, 2023 10:46 pm

My points are operated by servos driven from a simple 4 channel servo controller. This sets the throw and speed of operation, and just requires a simple toggle input.

I use a cheap and cheerful 4 channel radio control key fob, with each point toggling on a button press.

Prior to this, I had manual point control, using code 100 rail as the rodding, and some 3D printed guides. Cranks were made from copper clad board, with pins soldered to the bottom of the rail.

It all worked quite well, but the longest length was only about 2'. I'm very happy with the remote servo control, housing it in a 3d printed signal cabin and making up custom lengths of servo cables to suit.

Nigel B
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Nigel B » Mon May 22, 2023 11:56 am

Hi
How do you power the servos?
FeckHallBahn