Lady Ann will not run

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Frankies boy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Lady Ann will not run

Post by Frankies boy » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:10 pm

Hi, I’m a new member to this forum and someone who dabbles a little in Garden Rail. I have a real problem with my Roundhouse Lady Anne – purchased about five years ago now. It developed a fault with the RC throttle on the main controller (an inherent fault roundhouse admitted) and which caused some problems with getting Lady Anne to move and so - after purchasing a new controller and receiver, they were installed. All good so far. However, even though the regulator moves quite freely on the servo, and I’m sure it is moving up and down in full throw, the engine does not want to move. The pressure is reading the usual 40 bar, the safety valve releases just after pressure is reached but the engine refuses to budge and just sits there letting off steam. What I did notice after some considerable faffing, that disconnecting the servo arm and winding the regulator outwards – at least two turns anticlockwise - to such an extent, it nearly drops out, the engine will power the wheels but clearly, I cannot operate the engine like this. I have removed the regulator completely to check seals etc – it appears to be “ok”. When the regulator was removed, I connected my tyre stirrup pump to the orifice where the regulator screws into and ever so gently, pressed the pump to send air in – the wheels went round like the clappers. What this demonstrates to me that pressure is able to get through to the steam oil tank, and through to drive valves. Any help or suggestions what may be wrong would be very welcomed. I am happy to purchase parts but haven’t a clue which part/s are needed at this stage. Great forum by the way-

Richard

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Lady Ann will not run

Post by ge_rik » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:19 am

Welcome to the forum Richard.
I can't help with your problem, I'm afraid, but I'm sure there will be more than a few members who will be able to offer advice.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:11 am

I might be worth your contacting a local Model Engineers group, or one of the societies?

Even an idea of where in the world you are, will possibly find you someone local, who could offer 'hands-on' help?

Is it a case the loco has never been run, and might need running 'on blocks' a little?

Phil.P

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:46 pm

The regulator closes by compressing an O-ring on the end of its spindle. This does not need to be fully forced to shut, otherwise the loco will behave as you describe. Instead it needs to be wound out probably by one turn or so before the operating handle (connected to the servo) is locked in its "regulator closed" position. A five minute job to fix if it were on my bench. Where are you?
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

Frankies boy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Frankies boy » Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:50 pm

Thanks Phil- I live in Grimsby and Cleethorpes area and actually contacted the local model engineering society offering a donation for any help but they seemed to want me join up which I did not really want to do due to too many other commitments at the moment. But in response to your question- the loco has ran previously for at least three years and with the exception of the mentioned problems with the RC main throttle control- has not been problematic - I purchased from new. I will try winding the reg out more then before connecting the servo arm and let you know- in my naivety- I really thought this needed to be completely closed!!
Richard

Frankies boy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Frankies boy » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:27 pm

Thanks to Tony too for you guidance- I’ll give it a go and feedback many thanks R

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:02 am

You're close enough for a day trip to Roundhouse in Doncaster. I'm sure they would be able to sort the issue for you🤔
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Frankies boy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Frankies boy » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:07 am

Thanks for your reply- I did call roundhouse and whilst they were helpful- they could not pin point the problem and they no longer take in repairs outside of the guarantee period as the chap who used to do such , has retired and they are totally focused on getting new locos out. It’s the grand steam up day tomorrow and I’m hoping that the help I’ve received from the contributors here will fix it- I will let it be known to all and sundry- thanks again for you replies
R

Frankies boy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Frankies boy » Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:20 pm

Ok. Had a steam up today and based on TonyW’s guidance, from the fully closed position, screwed the regulator out about one and a bit turns, locked the servo arm, waited for the pressure and bingo- lady Anne jumped backed to life . What a relief! It’ll need a little more finite adjusting but at least she’s working now. Can’t thank you all enough- especially Tony who cracked it! Regards R -

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:13 am

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

TonyW
Driver
Driver