CNC hobby Mills / Cutters

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

CNC hobby Mills / Cutters

Post by Phil.P » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:23 am

I see reference to 3D printers, Laser cutters, Vinyl cutters, but not to Engravers/Mills..

Do any of you have one of these? - I am interested in more of a mill, than an engraver, but realise at a serious hobby level that the differences are blurred.
I am also wanting to go slightly more than just wood and plastics, as it would be nice to finish the projects my Father started. - Small model engineering.

I am not sure my budget will stretch far enough for a 'professional' machine, and would be worried it would have had a hard-life, so be worn-out.

Preferably, it should be capable of running from a 13Amp supply, rather than a dedicated, higher-current supply.

What are your thoughts, please?

Phil.P

GTB
Driver
Driver

Re: CNC hobby Mills / Cutters

Post by GTB » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:53 am

Phil.P wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:23 am I see reference to 3D printers, Laser cutters, Vinyl cutters, but not to Engravers/Mills..
There are hobby type CNC routers available which will do the engraving function. Can't say I've seen a dedicated CNC engraver. Hobby CNC router costs I've looked at in the past were in the same range as hobby laser cutters. Functionally they are much the same as a filament printer with a Dremel in place of the print head.

CNC milling in metal is a different kettle of fish and requires a much sturdier (read expensive) machine. They are available new in model engineering sizes, inevitably from China. An example is the Sieg KX1 and the KX3, which are about three times the cost of a manual mill of the same capacity. A KX1 will run off an Aust. 240V 10A single phase power point.

Being in Aust. I've no idea of what suppliers and machines are around in the UK.

Graeme

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:38 am

In the UK there is this sort of thing, this in fact is the one I use for metal work as well as one of their lathes.

CNC in metal is out of my price range, but these are awesome for model engineering. If you look through the Amadeal range, you will see the CNC mills at + thousands of pounds :shock:

If you can afford CNC, great, if not just ensure you get something with DRO's on it, not essential but very very handy. I added DRO's to my mill, the same one as below.

https://www.amadeal.co.uk/acatalog/XJ12-300.html

I guess this is an option if money is no object, lol

https://www.amadeal.co.uk/acatalog/Syil ... mbo-2.html
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:20 pm

Thank you both for the input..

A big, proper milling machine is out of my budget.
Also, rather intimidating for a 60+and year-old, who has never really 'done metalwork'.

Steve, the first would possibly be OK, but would have to have CNC to start. - I have a specific, small repetitive task, which I perform several times a week, and I am not happy with the time it takes, or my ability to produce the accuracy I want.

Looking to the future:
If I can cut the side of a coach, maybe with upgrades the frames of a loco? - The time it would take, would matter less, as I might cut one pair of frames a year.
But very possibly 2-3 years away?

So I think the plotter/cutter model, would be a better fit to my needs, and how I envisage the 'job'?

I don't mind the idea of having to build an enclosure. Mist coolant.. Upgrade the motor...
IF I ever get to wanting to do more than the machine can.

I *think* I am going to go with this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B799TSTH? ... echydiy-20

I also quite like the colour! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Phil.P

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:55 pm

Phil.P wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:20 pm I *think* I am going to go with this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B799TSTH? ... echydiy-20
The same design of router is also all over Ebay. Probably as many colour schemes as there are sellers.........

These CNC routers work well on wood and plastics, especially ABS and acrylic. They can be used to profile cut parts, as well as 3D engraving. I've also seen nameplates gnawed out of aluminium for a 12" gauge loco. Forget brass and steel parts though.........

I've seen sides for panelled passenger coaches in HO that were CNC routed in ABS, so no reason it won't work just as well for garden scale. Although you may have to make a bogie coach side in several parts, depending on the table size.

They come in 4-axis, as well as 3-axis versions, for not a lot more money. The 4th axis is a little NC controlled rotary table with a chuck, so the machine can be used to make complex 3D parts, not just surface engraving/milling.

Graeme

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:10 am

Thanks Graeme,
Yes, there are many 'clones' out there..
The build of this unit, should be a lot more rigid. Linear rails and ball-screws, should all help with stiffness and accuracy.
I have spent many hours watching YouTube videos, so should be able to check/adjust travel, tramming, and the like.

I like the idea of buying a 'brand', on the grounds that there will hopefully be specific support, and parts availability..

The colour, was a 'throw-away', and has no bearing on the ability of the machine.. But no different to buying a car, paying extra for the colour you want.

I can't see me ever needing a fourth axis. - Famous last words!

Phil.P

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:11 pm

Phil.P wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:10 am

I can't see me ever needing a fourth axis. - Famous last words!
If you can afford it, do it now rather than later, you always extend the boundaries of what you make and "need" :D :thumbup:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:02 pm

I can't see a use for it..

I am not likely to 'machine' a boiler-barrel from plumbing pipe, with boiler bands in situ.

Other than amusing messages, on drinking receptacles, not sure what I would make with it? Westinghouse pump, perhaps?

Phil.P

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:29 am

Phil.P wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:02 pm I can't see a use for it..
If I remember rightly, this router is initially to be used for cutting holes in transmitter boxes?

You don't need the 4th axis for that job, but just getting a 3-axis router is like setting up a metal working workshop with a mill, but no lathe. If you start making parts for locos and rollingstock, one day you will want to make a circular part that has to be round to an accuracy that a 3-axis machine can't manage. Wheels spring to mind.

A CNC 3-axis machine is a mill, a 4-axis machine is a machining centre.......... A toolmaker of my acquaintance has a CNC 5-axis machining centre about the size of my lounge room. I've seen spoked wheels for a 12" gauge loco machined out of a solid billet of steel in one process, without repositioning the work piece. The treads had a better finish than I can get on a lathe.

I bought a rotary table (manual type) when I got my mill, which cost me about half what the mill did. Wasn't sure what I'd use it for at the time, but knew enough to want one. Now, although it only gets used a couple of times a year, it is used to produce parts that I can't easily make any other way and can't buy off the shelf. I usually find a new use for it on each loco project.

Graeme

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:25 am

Thanks again, Graham, for the input.

But I really don't think I have a use for the fourth axis..

I do have access to a lathe, and once I am a little more confident with that, I might even apply myself to the maths of how to turn a wheel.

The only 'round' components I can presently think of, that would need to be better than from a mill, would be pistons and cylinders? *

*I am sure there will be many other things, but I am not a Machinist, or even much of an Engineer.

I think there is a dividing head in the workshop?
That combined with the 3-jaw chuck, and the compound(?) vice-thingy, would probably jury-rig a rotary table? - If I needed it.. **

**Sorry, that is probably like fingernails on a blackboard, to real Engineers!

Thank you again, for taking the time to advise, it is appreciated.
I think I will have plenty to occupy me, with learning the machine, and software.. Probably, a hobby in itself.

Phil.P