Talcum Powder

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Talcum Powder

Post by Phil.P » Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:17 pm

Not having much luck with queries on the various Fora, at the moment.

Talcum Powder:

Does anyone use it? - In their modelling, no not that sort, either!
Is it;
1. A very fine abrasive, to ease the running-in of models.
2. Used as a 'dry' lubricant.
3. As a weathering powder.

I have heard of toothpaste being used when running-in, but that seems a bit messy, and could be difficult to remove afterwards?

Phil.P

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Talcum Powder

Post by ge_rik » Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:22 pm

I use it to turn gloss or satin paint into matt - particularly black for smokeboxes

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:35 pm

In modelling terms, I've only ever used it as Rik has suggested. I believe it does have dry lubricant properties, i.e used in latex gloves and then I imagine that precludes it's use as an abrasive since it can't really do both at the same time.

Toothpaste on a brass worm and gear does work, or at least it used to when I did it on my 4mm stuff 30 odd years ago. With modern synthetic toothpastes I'm not sure it would still work.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:42 pm

philipy wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:35 pm Toothpaste on a brass worm and gear does work, or at least it used to when I did it on my 4mm stuff 30 odd years ago. With modern synthetic toothpastes I'm not sure it would still work.
I wonder if toothpaste could be used to "run-in" new brass gears????

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:32 pm

ge_rik wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:42 pm
philipy wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:35 pm Toothpaste on a brass worm and gear does work, or at least it used to when I did it on my 4mm stuff 30 odd years ago. With modern synthetic toothpastes I'm not sure it would still work.
I wonder if toothpaste could be used to "run-in" new brass gears????

Rik
Yes, thats what I was talking about. Run with a bit of tooth paste for a few mins then wipe if off and brass gears get a lot smoother and quieter.
Philip

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:20 pm

As an aside I used talcum powder and Brasso to polish a stainless steel belt buckle when I was in the RAAF.
It was a substitute to jewelers rouge.
The result was a very smooth highly polished surface that has lasted for nearly 40 years.

While working for the RAN we received advice that if using talc full respiratory PPE was to be worn due to a possible cancer risk (evidently some talcs contain asbestos), it was used in the fitting of aircraft tyres and tubes.
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:35 am

Talc is useless as an abrasive, but can be used as a dry lubricant. Graphite is a better lubricant though.

There is something called the Mohs Scale which is used for measuring the comparative hardness of minerals. Talc is at the bottom at 1, diamond is at the top at 10, although the scale isn't linear and diamond is actually 1500 times as hard as talc. Talc is softer than graphite, so won't polish any common metals. It can polish sodium metal though, if you are looking for a Darwin Award........

The abrasive in toothpaste varies and it has to be softer than tooth enamel, but Brasso uses fine silica particles and either will polish most common metals. They can be used for running in metal gears, but toothpaste is water based, so easier to clean up. I've used toothpaste in the distant past for running in Romford gears which were usually pretty rough as supplied. In large scale I mostly use good quality acetal gears, which don't need running in if set up properly.

As GAP indicated, talc and asbestos can occur together in mineral deposits, although fine talc dust is also a health hazard on it's own, if inhaled at high concentrations.

Regards,
Graeme