Battery charging issues

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
GTB
Driver
Driver

Re: Battery charging issues

Post by GTB » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:33 am

GAP wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:05 pm I was talking to my local Jaycar store person in Aust and was told that they sell 2 types of Eneloop ones manufactured in Japan and ones manufactured in China. From memory black = Japan and white = china there is also a noticeable price difference.
That was also my understanding, but the white label Eneloops I bought early this year are labelled 'Made in Japan'. I think I've read somewhere Panasonic now have them made in Japan by Fujitsu, who bought the old Sanyo factory.

I've never used the black 'Eneloop Pro' type, although they have a higher current rating, the trade-off is a higher cost and a lower number of charging cycles.

Graeme

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:23 am

I have four black Eneloops which I bought in 2020 so are a couple of years old. I originally intended to use them in the little 3D printed diesel project, but being button topped they didn't really fit ( they were just a fraction too long even with a custom made battery box). They've been sitting on the shelf for a couple of years without being recharged and only used now and then when I needed a quick source of approx 5v to test something. I just checked and they are still showing 1.2v each!
They say "Made in Japan" on the side.
Philip

Tingewickmax
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Tingewickmax » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:58 am

With regards to giving a dead NiMH pack a "jolt" to bring them back to life, in my case a loco I forgot to "switch off" 6 months prior to discovery - Advice from someone who should know, Brian Jones. Find a 1 amp 12 v power supply, in my case an old Scalextric transformer. Attach to battery pack, in my case 12 cell AA, NiMH, 2,400 mah that would not take a charge, for 30 seconds (for this battery pack capacity) Bingo ! The battery pack would now take a full charge from my smart charger. 5 years later, still going like a train. Nothing to loose if the trick does not work. Max

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:44 am

Tingewickmax wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:58 am Nothing to loose if the trick does not work. Max
You think not, and if they explode, because something goes wrong, you will pay the compensation.

Tingewickmax
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Tingewickmax » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:08 am

Jimmyb wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:44 am
Tingewickmax wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:58 am Nothing to loose if the trick does not work. Max
You think not, and if they explode, because something goes wrong, you will pay the compensation.
I'm not quite sure what you are saying Jimmy. The advice came from here - https://www.brianjonesmodels.co.uk/ I can't see a maximum of 1 amp/12v for 30 seconds on a 12 cell pack will cause it to explode. I once accidentally hooked up a smart charger to a TX that I mistakenly thought had NiMH batteries in (some of my TX's do, some don't. That'll teach me not to check) .They were not, they were good old Duracells ! 2 hours later - some warm gooey batteries and the need for a clean up. Now if we are talking Lithium tech batteries then no way. But if you do not think it is worth the risk, it's an "if all else fails option", with NiMH's then fair enough. Max

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:04 am

Tingewickmax wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:08 am
Jimmyb wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:44 am
I'm not quite sure what you are saying Jimmy. The advice came from here - https://www.brianjonesmodels.co.uk/ I can't see a maximum of 1 amp/12v for 30 seconds on a 12 cell pack will cause it to explode. I once accidentally hooked up a smart charger to a TX that I mistakenly thought had NiMH batteries in (some of my TX's do, some don't. That'll teach me not to check) .They were not, they were good old Duracells ! 2 hours later - some warm gooey batteries and the need for a clean up. Now if we are talking Lithium tech batteries then no way. But if you do not think it is worth the risk, it's an "if all else fails option", with NiMH's then fair enough. Max
Hi, what I am saying is, although the practice is known, I have seen no information with evidence that shows this is safe, and without proper safety guidelines, then the practice could be misunderstood, misused, and there could lead to an accident. As an Aircraft Safety Engineer, management of batteries is always an area of concern.
Looking on Brian Jones website, I can see no evidence of a safe practice.