Which RC (and variable reverser question)?

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
big-ted
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Which RC (and variable reverser question)?

Post by big-ted » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:17 pm

Since this thread has veered far enough off topic to include general questions pertaining to Deltang-based R/C methods, I'll ask this here (with further apologies to the original poster...)

What are the groups thoughts on the selecta option, and having multiple locos paired to the same controller? Is there a limit to how many locos is ideal to have paired to the same transmitter?

As mentioned above, I currently have two live steam locos and a battery loco, all paired to a single Tx22. In addition, I have two live steam locos that are currently manually controlled. 95% of the time I run at group running days, and would never be operating more than one train at a time. However, on occasion when running on my own, I like to play silly so-and-sos, and try and operate two live steam locomotives simultaneously. So far, I've only done this with one R/C steam loco and either the battery loco, or a manual steam loco.

Is the convenience of having everything on one transmitter outweighed by having to change selecta positions between each loco in use? At some point, I imagine just having a controller for each running loco is more convenient?

I'm teetering on adding R/C to a third of my steam locos. Since I need to order a receiver, I'm tempted to add another transmitter to my order so I can split up the control of my locos a bit. 1st world problems and all that...

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:13 am

big-ted wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:17 pm Since this thread has veered far enough off topic to include general questions pertaining to Deltang-based R/C methods, I'll ask this here (with further apologies to the original poster...)

What are the groups thoughts on the selecta option, and having multiple locos paired to the same controller? Is there a limit to how many locos is ideal to have paired to the same transmitter?

As mentioned above, I currently have two live steam locos and a battery loco, all paired to a single Tx22. In addition, I have two live steam locos that are currently manually controlled. 95% of the time I run at group running days, and would never be operating more than one train at a time. However, on occasion when running on my own, I like to play silly so-and-sos, and try and operate two live steam locomotives simultaneously. So far, I've only done this with one R/C steam loco and either the battery loco, or a manual steam loco.

Is the convenience of having everything on one transmitter outweighed by having to change selecta positions between each loco in use? At some point, I imagine just having a controller for each running loco is more convenient?

I'm teetering on adding R/C to a third of my steam locos. Since I need to order a receiver, I'm tempted to add another transmitter to my order so I can split up the control of my locos a bit. 1st world problems and all that...
I have a Micron Tx22 with selecta, though all my locos are battery power, I also have a Crest Revolution, that can control up to 50 devices. (IMHO) If you are running locos on different circuits then that is slightly different, each circuit doing their own thing, but if like me your track is interconnected then I find trying to run two locos and manage points does not work and can lead to a disaster. I think the selecta is great, and a single controller with up to 12 locos on the track make life easy, but actually running more than two locos at the same time (unless your railway is huge) with a single person on controls is not easy. For me it is run one at a time, so I can be fully in control.

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:36 am

As a builder of these.. - As well as running them.:

Certainly, for battery loco's, Selecta gives you a decent cost-saving, on transmitter/controllers.

I find, a loco can be set running (on the 'main line') and then I can have a fiddle, with a bit of shunting. - Perhaps, two loco's in the yard?
Then back to the mainline, to stop that train in a loop..

I don't have my own live-steam loco, but from my (very limited) experience, they need to be 'driven'. - More-so than battery loco's.

I always advocate, having a second transmitter/controller, as you can quickly Bind a loco to it, if you want to let someone have a go.. :thumbright:
If it is a simpler handset, there is less chance of them messing something up.

If you have access to a really large club layout, it may be worth having two controllers? - One for the loco that is running, and one for the loco being prepared, or disposed of.

Like with DCC, I find that controlling three loco's, is a sensible limit..
But tend to 'park two', and have one circulating, once I get into a conversation.. :dontknow:

Aside:
What would people like to be able to control, from a 'simple' single-loco 'steam' handset? - It might be time to offer another model of transmitter..

Phil.P
Phil@rctrains.co.uk

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:11 pm

Like Phil and Jim, I tend to run my locos sequentially rather than simultaneously as I have only one circuit. This means that both locos are usually stationary when I switch between them. At least once during an operating session, I will run two trains at once - for example, send the ore train to run towards the terminus while I'm doing some shunting. But I will usually bring the shunter to a halt before switching to the ore loco.

As Phil says, it's handy having a spare non Selecta tx when visitors call. I now have two Selecta txs and four non Selecta txs. Trouble is, I struggle to remember which loco is bound to which tx and so have a label on the back of each tx listing which locos are bound to which channel on it. It was much easier when I only had one Selecta Tx

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:28 pm

ge_rik wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:11 pm Like Phil and Jim, I tend to run my locos sequentially rather than simultaneously as I have only one circuit. This means that both locos are usually stationary when I switch between them. At least once during an operating session, I will run two trains at once - for example, send the ore train to run towards the terminus while I'm doing some shunting. But I will usually bring the shunter to a halt before switching to the ore loco.

As Phil says, it's handy having a spare non Selecta tx when visitors call. I now have two Selecta txs and four non Selecta txs. Trouble is, I struggle to remember which loco is bound to which tx and so have a label on the back of each tx listing which locos are bound to which channel on it. It was much easier when I only had one Selecta Tx

Rik
Like Rik I have labels to identify Tx/Rx, and also a spreadsheet with that information, and battery type details for charging.

big-ted
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by big-ted » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:58 pm

You guys make a good point. Most of my running is done at a club layout with 6 independent loops, which allows for multiple reasons to be running without fear of interference.

For those of you that find it handy to have an extra transmitter for when friends come to visit/play, doesn't the receiver forget all the servo endpoints/neutral points etc when you bind it to a different transmitter?

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:06 am

big-ted wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:58 pm You guys make a good point. Most of my running is done at a club layout with 6 independent loops, which allows for multiple reasons to be running without fear of interference.

For those of you that find it handy to have an extra transmitter for when friends come to visit/play, doesn't the receiver forget all the servo endpoints/neutral points etc when you bind it to a different transmitter?
Only run battery power, so can't answer about servos.

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:24 am

big-ted wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:58 pm You guys make a good point. Most of my running is done at a club layout with 6 independent loops, which allows for multiple reasons to be running without fear of interference.

If we are talking about Deltang/Micron based kit, then no..
On a 'standard' stick transmitter, you either use the trim controls on the sticks, or menu settings (processor-based controller).

On the Deltang system, you do not have adjustments on the handset/controller.. All the settings are stored (and the changes made) within the receiver. - This is done by either using 'shorting plugs' on receiver pins, or by programming from the transmitter, or a dedicated programmer.

Phil.P
Yell if you need more information on this. :ugeek