Fitting Swift Sixteen bogies to Brandbright coach

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Seb_N&BLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Fitting Swift Sixteen bogies to Brandbright coach

Post by Seb_N&BLR » Mon May 02, 2022 2:55 pm

Hi Folks

I have acquired a set of resin bogies from Swift Sixteen with the intention of fitting them to my Brandbright brake & compartment coach which is currently a four wheeler and struggles through tight curves/points.

As a relative novice I was expecting to find an assembly diagram and the axle boxes to be drilled out, however it looks like this was over-hopeful on both counts. Not complaining, just a bit surprised.

Before I jump in and get something basic wrong, thought I’d ask here if anyone has prior experience of fitting these bogies to the Brandbright coach? My model is 32mm gauge and I’m already a little concerned about the rotational clearance of the bogies vs the longitudinal frames - plus if I mount the bogies on spacers then the coach will be too high. Should I think about cutting sections out of the frames? Similarly my roof is glued down, ideally I’m hoping not to have to prise it off, but how will the bogies be retained without locking nuts?

Any help much appreciated, I’m very anxious not to ruin my coach as it’s my ‘prize accomplishment’ so far.

Seb

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Fitting Swift Sixteen bogies to Brandbright coach

Post by Peter Butler » Mon May 02, 2022 4:34 pm

Hi Seb, I have experience with Swift Sixteen bogies and found them very good for my needs. I also use 32mm gauge and find there is ample space for the bogies to turn underneath the coaches. I prefer to have roofs permanently fixed too so devised a method of attaching the bogies from underneath. This does require some surgery, but not too difficult. I wrote a description on my thread.....

https://gardenrails.org/viewtopic.php?f ... start=2610

Scroll down the page to view... continued on next page too!

Hope this helps.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Seb_N&BLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Fitting Swift Sixteen bogies to Brandbright coach

Post by Seb_N&BLR » Mon May 02, 2022 6:38 pm

Thank you Peter, that’s extremely helpful. Good to hear someone else has gone before me 8)

Can I also say - that’s a really attractive livery on your coaches!