re accucraft edrig

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Haydon
New User
New User

re accucraft edrig

Post by Haydon » Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:54 pm

having a queried a second had edrig i notice that gas tank is bowed out wards on one face is this not good

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Re: re accucraft edrig

Post by Lonsdaler » Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:37 pm

There are people who can repair/service steam locomotives, if you don't fancy doing it yourself. I presume you mean the gas tank is showing signs of ballooning? I'm surprised that could happen given the relatively low pressures involved in storage of lpg gasses in these locos.
If it's a relatively recent purchase, how about contacting the seller and asking about it?
If you do a search for a local model engineering society/club, you can probably get some help on the best course of action to take.
Hope that helps somewhat, and welcome to the forum.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

GTB
Driver
Driver

Re: re accucraft edrig

Post by GTB » Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:18 am

Haydon wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:54 pm having a queried a second had edrig i notice that gas tank is bowed out wards on one face is this not good
No, it's not good. The bulge indicates someone has managed to exceed the safe working pressure of the gas tank. :shock:

The likeliest reason is that the gas tank was filled with a high propane gas mixture, instead of butane, and then it was allowed to get hot as well.

Whatever the reason, someone wasn't following the instructions. The gas tanks on my two Accucraft locos have 'Butane only' clearly stamped on the serial no. plate.

The Accucraft website lists their service agents. It may be possible to repair the tank and recertify it, but it would likely be cheaper to replace it if spares are still available. A fair few Edrigs have been converted to coal fired, so those surplus gas tanks will be around somewhere.

Regards,
Graeme