Trickle charging advice

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Andrew

Trickle charging advice

Post by Andrew » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:06 pm

Hello all,

A few weeks ago I went to use my RH Little John and found that it was out of charge - I'd left it switched on, and it seems the battery drained. It won't accept a charge, so - following advice I think I've received previously - I think a trickle charger may be the way to go?

I own such a device, but don't really know how to use it - can anyone advise please? It has 6 settings, covering 50 mA to 300 mA - if I'm honest, I don't really know what that means, let alone which I should use and for how long...

Thanks in advance,

Andrew.

siclick33
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Trickle charging advice

Post by siclick33 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:16 am

What batteries are they?

The battery will have a voltage and a capacity. The capacity will be in mAh (milliAmp Hours).

The setting on your charger will be mA. Therefore, if your battery is 1000mAh and you use the 100mA setting on the charger, then it will take about 10 hours to charge. Make sure that the voltage output of the charger is correct for the battery (if it is a 4 cell battery then it will likely be 4.8v).

For trickle charging, just put the charger on its lowest setting (50mAh) and leave it overnight.

WARNING: This assumes that the batteries are Ni-Cd or NiMh (i.e. 'normal' rechargeable batteries). If they are lithium of some sort (e.g. Lipo or LiFe) then let me know, as they need special chargers and procedures.

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:15 am

If the batteries were completely drained, and left like that for some time, they may not all charge again, and you should replace any faulty batteries, otherwise this will continually drain the good batteries.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:07 am

Jimmyb wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:15 am If the batteries were completely drained, and left like that for some time, they may not all charge again, and you should replace any faulty batteries, otherwise this will continually drain the good batteries.
Beat me to it, I was think they are likely to be FUBAR by now.
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:34 pm

Oh dear...

Thanks for the advice all, much appreciated.

I'm afraid I have left it awhile though, probably a month or two, didn't know they'd be trashed so quickly - that's an expensive mistake!

Oh well, I'm attempting to charge them anyway, you never know...

Andrew.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:16 pm

Been there, done that.......

I've found this website is a good source of info on the care and feeding of rechargeable cells.

https://batteryuniversity.com/articles

It may well answer questions you didn't even know you had.

As I get older I'm developing the attention span of a goldfish and a memory like a sieve, so I've fit working headlights to my r/c battery models to remind me to turn things off at the end of a run. :roll:

If the prototype didn't have a headlight, I'd fit a small LED somewhere visible in the cab, like the control panel on a diesel, or the fire door on a steam loco.

The various little railmotors I've built don't have speed control, just an on/off switch, so it's pretty obvious even to me if they haven't been turned off...... 8)

Regards,
Graeme

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:28 am

It might be that only one cell in the pack has been damaged. Might be worthwhile disassembling the pack and testing each cell before trashing the whole pack.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

MRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by MRail » Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:34 am

[What batteries are they?}
{The battery will have a voltage and a capacity. The capacity will be in mAh (milliAmp Hours).}

Little John has 8 cells (MKI) or 6 cells (MKII)
These are AA size and the packs are supplied by Strikalite.
Typical costs for a made-up pack are £3 per cell.
Rob G
Madog & Mersey Railway (SM32)
In my Father's roundhouse are many loco sheds.