Painting foamboard structures, Brunel models kit.

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Simon-m
Cleaner
Cleaner

Painting foamboard structures, Brunel models kit.

Post by Simon-m » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:46 am

I'm slowly working my way through a Brunel models Chelfham station kit & I'm wondering how you guys paint your kits? I've never used foamboard before so I'm not sure how to tackle it. Usually if it is a plasticard or the likes I used a halfords grey primer as a base before painting stone colours. My first thought was to use some matt emulsion paints from b&q or acrylic paints sealed with a matt varnish spray paint. Whilst it will be used in the garden at some point it won't be something that stays out there all year round.

Does anyone have any advice on how to paint this kind of product please.

Cheers Si

philipy

Re: Painting foamboard structures, Brunel models kit.

Post by philipy » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:13 am

Depending on what it actually is and how many different materials might be involved, I usually use Halfords grey primer, basically to even everything up. They do an ordinary one and plastics one, but I've never found any real difference myself.

Then acrylics, or ordinary Humbrol, although for large areas acrylic is best and the covering power of Humbrol is suspect these days anyway.
I have tried emulsion and it's Ok but does sometimes flake once its old and the weather gets at it, but then again, I leave mine outside 24/7/365. I've got buildings that have been outside for a number of years and still look fine apart from getting mucky.
Philip

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:24 am

I would treat the structure like any other plasticard model, the material is very similar :)

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:12 am

Simon, I agree with Philip about painting. Halford's grey, or plastic, primer is a good foundation to work on and gives everything an even base coat. Good quality acrylics are easy to use and cover well. My preference is 'Citadel', which is used for wargaming models, and available at 'Games Workshop' or on-line at 'Goblin Gaming'.
Ordinary emulsion paints are a non-starter here as they will peel and cause trouble down the line.
If you do use acrylics I strongly advise you NOT to coat with lacquer of any description as with temperature and humidity changes your model will move and allow water to penetrate, but not escape, thus causing staining and peeling. The acrylics form a skin which remains flexible and can withstand such conditions.
Brunel Models kits look mighty impressive and I would love to see your work in progress.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:06 am

Yep, I'd agree with the others - prime, then paint with acrylics. I just use crafters ones.

I forgot to take my foamboard buildings in this year, and last year they were only put away in December, but they seem to be holding up pretty well.

Good luck with it - and do post some pictures!

Andrew.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:59 am

Andrew wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:06 am Yep, I'd agree with the others - prime, then paint with acrylics.
Same here :thumbup:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:59 pm

Just to throw a spanner in the works - I agree re. priming, but you could also try masonry paints. Most stockists/manufacturers do the small test pots. I have acquired quite a range of colours over the years and they seem to adhere well to primed plastic surfaces as well as having the advantage of being designed for outdoor application.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:36 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:12 am If you do use acrylics I strongly advise you NOT to coat with lacquer of any description as with temperature and humidity changes your model will move and allow water to penetrate, but not escape, thus causing staining and peeling. The acrylics form a skin which remains flexible and can withstand such conditions.
Brunel Models kits look mighty impressive and I would love to see your work in progress.
I must disagree certainly in part with Peter, most car paint these days is acrylic, and most requires lacquer as a top coat. I think the issue here is application, I use either Halfords or Hycote plastic primer, then their colour that suits my needs, and where applicable a lacquer as required, all these by "rattle can", however (and I have not tried it) but brush painting may be a "different kettle of fish", and here Peter could well be correct.