Deltang rx-65 question

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
big-ted
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Deltang rx-65 question

Post by big-ted » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:01 pm

Posting as a new thread rather than muddy the rx102 thread, but feel free to relocate if more appropriate....

I am in the process of setting up an rx-65 receiver/ESC module with my TX-22 transmitter. I already have my tx-22 bound & setup with my live steam loco (I forget which receiver, but whatever the 'normal' receiver is for live steam with two servos). The live steam loco works perfectly & is bound on selecta position 1. I don't want to change anything on that model!

I have my rx-65 bound in position 3, & the receiver is configured in the 'low-off' mode so that it's operation will be the same as my live steam loco. The direction switch on the transmitter appears to change the direction as required, BUT, the receiver gives full throttle when the throttle control is set to zero (full left), & zero throttle when the control is set to 100% (full right). Seems I need to be able to adjust the PWM duty cycle that the ESC considers as zero, as well as change the direction of the PWM change relative to the knob setting on the transmitter. In RC car/plane world the former would be considered a trim adjustment, but all I can find is the transmitter calibration instructions. Seems this would ruin the setup on my live steam loco if I calibrated the transmitter differently?

I know Rik is our resident Deltang expert, but help from anyone else is appreciated also!

big-ted
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Deltang rx-65 question

Post by big-ted » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:44 am

A bit more reading shows that the receiver in my live steam loco is an Rx102, on which one CAN change the servo end points & direction. So I suppose I could reverse the wires on the throttle knob in the transmitter, then reconfigure the receiver in the live steam loco. Seems a lot of work though...

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:09 pm

Hmmm .... Interesting. Not come across this before. My instinct, like yours, is just to swap over the two outside leads on the speed pot. I've had a look at the programming options for the Rx65 and can't see anything which will change the PWM settings.

If your Tx22 is one of mine, my apologies. I must have had a brain faze when I wired it up. If it is one of mine, I'll happily rewire it for you, though you sound fairly confident about tinkering with the insides of the TX.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

big-ted
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by big-ted » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:30 pm

Thanks Rik. No, I can't point any fingers any direction other than my own since this is a Tx22 I built from one of David's kits a while back.

After I went to bed last night I was slowly coming to the realisation that I must have connected the throttle pot wires incorrectly & just configured my rx102 to suit. Oh well, a bit of tinkering ahead of me!

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:13 pm

big-ted wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:30 pm
After I went to bed last night I was slowly coming to the realisation that I must have connected the throttle pot wires incorrectly
It's easily done, David's instructions are not always the easiest to decipher.
I had a not disimilar problem with my own home-built Tx kit. First half a dozen positions on the Selecta worked perfectly but not the rest. Eventually worked out that it was a dry joint on one of the Selecta switch positions!
Philip

big-ted
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by big-ted » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:22 pm

Think I'm all sorted. Wasn't that hard at all. Once I swapped the wires in the transmitter the Rx65 'just worked' as expected. Then, to reset the steam loco, I first made sure the regulator was fully closed, removed the throttle servo horn, and powered up both transmitter and Rx102 (with the right selecta position selected). At this point the throttle servo spins to a different position since it's now getting a different PWM signal with the throttle control set to 'zero.' I then reversed the servo rotation by shorting the throttle signal pin to negative per David's instructions, checked the rotation was correct based on the direction the throttle actuator needed to rotate, and replaced the servo horn with the regulator closed and throttle set to zero. Once I have the loco in steam I may need to make slight adjustments to the servo linkage to get the full range of throttle settings, but everything looks good.

So now 2/3 of the Reading and Squamish Light Railway's locos have R/C installed. I'm still holding off on converting my meths fired Dylan since I'm still adjusting things, and I'm not yet confident I wont have a few more cab fires as I learn the dark art of alcohol firing. Still, I have another Rx102 and servo ready to go when necessary...

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:07 pm

philipy wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:13 pm Eventually worked out that it was a dry joint on one of the Selecta switch positions!
So easy to do. No need to ask me how I know ......

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube