O gauge track for 16mm?

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Tingewickmax
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: O gauge track for 16mm?

Post by Tingewickmax » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:40 pm

philipy wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:53 pm
The Lilla is 16mm scale and runs on 32mm track. That is classically defined as SM32 and is really all you need to think about, to begin with at least. However, unless you intend to model a specific narrow gauge prototype railway, many modellers will run almost anything that will run on SM32 track - forget "O Gauge", it has nothing to do with 16mm narrow gauge apart from the coincidence of the number 32
I think it is the OP Zeno not spaeker, who you are replying to, who owns a Lilla. He said he would be running it on "G Sale" track, I assume he means 45 mm, when he returns to these shores. I think we are all getting a bit confused here. But I generally agree with your summing up. The only thing 32 mm "O Gauge" 1:43/7mm scale has in common with 1:19/16 mm scale running on 32 mm gauge track is the gauge of the track at 32 mm. Physical size (I.E. the loading gauge requirement) larger wheel/flange sizes usually mean the lighter 32 mm track used for the smaller scale stock won't work with the bigger stuff - rail height and point flange ways and guard rails will be too low/narrow. Max

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:59 pm

Tingewickmax wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:40 pm
philipy wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:53 pm
The Lilla is 16mm scale and runs on 32mm track. That is classically defined as SM32 and is really all you need to think about, to begin with at least. However, unless you intend to model a specific narrow gauge prototype railway, many modellers will run almost anything that will run on SM32 track - forget "O Gauge", it has nothing to do with 16mm narrow gauge apart from the coincidence of the number 32
I think it is the OP Zeno not spaeker, who you are replying to, who owns a Lilla. He said he would be running it on "G Sale" track, I assume he means 45 mm, when he returns to these shores. I think we are all getting a bit confused here. But I generally agree with your summing up. The only thing 32 mm "O Gauge" 1:43/7mm scale has in common with 1:19/16 mm scale running on 32 mm gauge track is the gauge of the track at 32 mm. Physical size (I.E. the loading gauge requirement) larger wheel/flange sizes usually mean the lighter 32 mm track used for the smaller scale stock won't work with the bigger stuff - rail height and point flange ways and guard rails will be too low/narrow. Max
Well done for spotting the crossed wires Max :lol: I must be honest, and admit I didn't! :roll:
From other posts Spaeker has made, regarding using Faller trains to convert to rc and battery for example, I think he is looking more towards 1:19/16mm scale rather than O gauge. Zeno may well be looking at 45mm. Or not. :dontknow:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

spaeker
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by spaeker » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:52 pm

forgive no dont get it But maybe I am crossed wires with someone else ..

Lilia ?? googled it .. seems to be manufacturer of model steam to gauge 16 mm
perhaps should have said I am running modified Faller Hit train style 1970's It has 32 mm track and is described as O gauge .
Modified in that one loco is now RC and other is remote servo operation of original manual track controls

Hey Ho :despite my award 10/10 for HO still confused O gauge, Does it actually define any track width at all or does it depend on various editions of same ?
However looks like SM 32 might be a better definition when looking for spare track etc.
PS
Hooked on this Austrian /German Faller fantasy 1970's set . Ahead if its time I say Am I the only one ?

Going to have a go at Platform 9/3/4 !! Reckon can easily put in a third rail and run ho in between 32 for magical" before your very eyes " transform !! Since I am RC cab control and making my own flexi track..

Thanks anyway guys .. Am I really alone in hooked on Faller Hit train style ?? ciao sp

Tingewickmax
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Tingewickmax » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:58 pm

spaeker wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:52 pm forgive no dont get it But maybe I am crossed wires with someone else ..

Lilia ?? googled it .. seems to be manufacturer of model steam to gauge 16 mm
perhaps should have said I am running modified Faller Hit train style 1970's It has 32 mm track and is described as O gauge .
Modified in that one loco is now RC and other is remote servo operation of original manual track controls

Hey Ho :despite my award 10/10 for HO still confused O gauge, Does it actually define any track width at all or does it depend on various editions of same ?
However looks like SM 32 might be a better definition when looking for spare track etc.
PS
Hooked on this Austrian /German Faller fantasy 1970's set . Ahead if its time I say Am I the only one ?

Going to have a go at Platform 9/3/4 !! Reckon can easily put in a third rail and run ho in between 32 for magical" before your very eyes " transform !! Since I am RC cab control and making my own flexi track..

Thanks anyway guys .. Am I really alone in hooked on Faller Hit train style ?? ciao sp
The problem is the term "0 gauge" is used both as a generic term for 1:43 scale standard gauge stock models, running on an appropriate to scale 32 mm gauge track system, or sometimes as shorthand for 32 mm gauged track in general. But not all the the different 32 mm gauged track systems will work with all the scales that can use that gauge, as built.

However, when you start getting into running stock with a scale of greater than 1:43 its not just the physical size of the models that grows. So do all the other parts - wheel dimensions, diameter, thickness and flange depth, etc'. That then requires a taller heavier cross section rail to make sure the wheels don't foul/hit the chairs that support them and a more generous gap between flange ways and check rails on points and crossing to accommodate these dimensionally larger components.

Rail height is expressed by the term "code", across the model railway hobby. It's a measurement from the rail's bottom (usually flat) to its head. This mesurement is expressed in thousands of an inch. Hence you will hear of rail, used in 32 mm gauged track systems, described variously as code 100/150/200 and even 250 & 332. So, you can have quite a variety of different 32 mm track systems, made to use with different scales that will use different rail "code" types to suit the scale of model being run on them.

The larger the "code" number the taller the rail, and usually it will have a proportionately larger section to match. Different codes can even be used even for the same scale, but not all will be cross compatible. The final complete track system will also usually incorporate the appropriate sleeper size and spacing for the scale of stock that will be run on them as well. But in the end these track systems made to a 32 mm gauge could all be termed as "0 guage". Forget the term "0 gauge" and think in terms of track gauge + rail code. That way you should end up with a track system that suits your chosen scale to model in.

The issue if you try to run dual gauge is 1) the rail heights (code) needs to match and 2) your wheels will need to be of roughly similar types to avoid derailing on those points and crossings. As watchmakers say, "It's a complication". It can be done but not really if you are mixing scales. Max

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:50 pm

spaeker wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:52 pm Am I really alone in hooked on Faller Hit train style ?? ciao sp
I suspect that you are, I'm afraid. At least as far as this forum is concerned.
The nearest we get is converting their stock into something more like UK prototypes :roll:
Philip

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:54 pm

I 'sort of' have some Faller..
Quite a bit has been 'modified' (messed-with, so it is a: cheap, and b: a little more 'British' looking.)

My other problem, is being new to this, I thought Faller just did building kits, and people!

Phil.P

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:58 pm

spaeker wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:52 pm
I think many of us have converted the railcar into something more British looking at some point. In my case it is a project started about 5 years ago - I might even get it finished at some point :dontknow:
2016-04-26-13.17.47_sm.png
2016-04-26-13.17.47_sm.png (193.25 KiB) Viewed 2856 times
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Winding Road
New User
New User

Post by Winding Road » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:58 pm

I too am enjoying Faller Hit Train. I had a fair amount when I was at college (50 years ago!!) and recently rediscovered it and am setting up an outside layout.

dudeface
Fireman
Fireman

Post by dudeface » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:57 pm

Tingewickmax wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:40 pm He said he would be running it on "G Sale" track...
Heck G scale isn't even a real scale.....
https://m.youtube.com/@Dudeface167
Miles-- Trains are fun. With the exception of track power. Argh!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:53 am

dudeface wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:57 pm
Tingewickmax wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:40 pm He said he would be running it on "G Sale" track...
Heck G scale isn't even a real scale.....
:thumbright: :thumbright: