Curve Radius Help

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
jammy123
New User
New User

Curve Radius Help

Post by jammy123 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:29 pm

Hello!
I am interested in purchasing the Maxitrak Alice locomotive! However, it states that the minimum curve radius is 8ft. I am only able to fit a 7ft radius in my garden. So I was wondering, could it run?
Thanks in advance for any help!

Andrew

Re: Curve Radius Help

Post by Andrew » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:41 am

Hello!

We do have some members who build larger-scale ride on lines on their gardens, but they tend to be ocassional visitors rather than regularly online, so it may take a while to get an expert answer!

I think I'd be inclined to ask Maxitrac directly - it's an expensive purchase, so you wouldn't want to mess it up! If it will negotiate the curve without damaging itself or the track, and assuming the issues affecting 5" gauge lines are the same as those which affect smaller scales ("ye cannae change the laws of Physics captain!"??!), I'd guess the sharper the curves you use the greater the wear and tear will be, and the lesser the load your engine will be ae to pull?

Good luck - it sounds like fun!

Andrew.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:20 pm

jammy123 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:29 pm Hello!
I am interested in purchasing the Maxitrak Alice locomotive! However, it states that the minimum curve radius is 8ft. I am only able to fit a 7ft radius in my garden. So I was wondering, could it run?
Thanks in advance for any help!
Like Andrew, I can't help I'm afraid but his suggestion of contacting Maxitrak sound a good un.

Welcome to the forum BTW. :thumbright:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:30 pm

Firstly, welcome to the Forum, secondly I am unable to help with your question but would just ask whether your tight space limitations have taken into account any overhang of stock and additional width of passengers? Even in SM32/45 we are often asked similar questions and the overhang issue always crops up.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?