Transmitter/receiver compatibility

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Transmitter/receiver compatibility

Post by GAP » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:24 pm

I googled the protocol for the transmitter and receivers that I have (AFHDS) and came across this;
https://oscarliang.com/rc-protocols/ Current as of April 2021
It shows how much of a mish mash the protocols are.
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:23 am

GAP wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:24 pm I googled the protocol for the transmitter and receivers that I have (AFHDS) and came across this;
https://oscarliang.com/rc-protocols/ Current as of April 2021
It shows how much of a mish mash the protocols are.
WOW - far more than I can take in, in one sitting, but still very interesting, thank you for sharing.

Lez1
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Lez1 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:02 am

As the OP for this discussion I feel I must tell you which way I've gone in the transmitter/receiver stakes.

Firstly, many thanks for your replies (all of them), I found them most interesting. I eventually decided on a 'start-up kit' from Yatton which has duly been fitted in one of my Stainz locos. The transmitter also controls the regulator on my live steam loco. Since then I've also managed to get hold of a Deltang RX 65 which is awaiting fitting.

The hardest thing I found is sourcing batteries to shoe-horn into these relatively small engines but that's for another thread!

Regards to all.
Les.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:00 am

Lez1 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:02 am As the OP for this discussion I feel I must tell you which way I've gone in the transmitter/receiver stakes.

Firstly, many thanks for your replies (all of them), I found them most interesting. I eventually decided on a 'start-up kit' from Yatton which has duly been fitted in one of my Stainz locos. The transmitter also controls the regulator on my live steam loco. Since then I've also managed to get hold of a Deltang RX 65 which is awaiting fitting.

The hardest thing I found is sourcing batteries to shoe-horn into these relatively small engines but that's for another thread!

Regards to all.
Les.
Are you using Lithium Ion batteries at 4.2v each?
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

Lez1
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Lez1 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:59 am

Steves wrote
At the moment I'm using a LiPo battery pack recovered from a model quadcopter; it just about slides into the cab.

Les.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:46 am

Lez1 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:59 am Steves wrote
At the moment I'm using a LiPo battery pack recovered from a model quadcopter; it just about slides into the cab.

Les.
Fantastic, they will do the job nicely. :thumbup:

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:48 am

-steves- wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:00 am Are you using Lithium Ion batteries at 4.2v each?
Not sure about your 4.2 volts Li-Ion are nominally 3.6 volts, and LiPo are nominally 3.7 volts, unless you are talking fully charged state, its like calling a car battery 14.4 volts (fully charged), which is nominally 12 volts. :) :)

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:06 pm

Jimmyb wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:48 am
-steves- wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:00 am Are you using Lithium Ion batteries at 4.2v each?
Not sure about your 4.2 volts Li-Ion are nominally 3.6 volts, and LiPo are nominally 3.7 volts, unless you are talking fully charged state, its like calling a car battery 14.4 volts (fully charged), which is nominally 12 volts. :) :)
Yup, just to confuse people, I see it's working, lol, sorry about that. :lol: I often use full charge capacity on model batteries as that is the top voltage I need to allow for on ESC's, however Li-ion do come in both 3.6v and 3.7v, I use the 3.7v / 4.2v ones myself. :thumbup: It's odd really because on Li-po batteries that I used in planes I always used the 3.7v as a standard.

As for the car battery reference, a car battery is only at 14.4v (ish) when it's getting a charge from the alternator, whereas once you switch the engine off and wait a while, it drops back down to around 12v ( dependant on the condition of the battery) :dontknow: If your car battery is at 14.4v in a nominal "engine off state" I would strongly suggest you get your alternator checked out as it's over charging / cooking your battery. :shock: If checked first thing in the morning it should be somewhere between 11.9v and 12.6v :thumbup:

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Wed May 05, 2021 1:39 pm

Would have to agree with Steve, on that. Deltang is simple enough for me to understand, and involves no touch-screens, or spotty and expensive Australian internet to use.

I can only imagine the voracious demand for Deltang gear when Micron's replacements become available, though I would imagine that could be quite a few months away..
Can't say I'll be much help with that - I'll be needing around ten Rx'es right off the bat, for a backlog of waiting locos. :roll:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Wed May 05, 2021 2:40 pm

Old Man Aaron wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:39 pm Would have to agree with Steve, on that. Deltang is simple enough for me to understand, and involves no touch-screens, or spotty and expensive Australian internet to use.

I can only imagine the voracious demand for Deltang gear when Micron's replacements become available, though I would imagine that could be quite a few months away..
Can't say I'll be much help with that - I'll be needing around ten Rx'es right off the bat, for a backlog of waiting locos. :roll:
Currently I am moving to Microns MR001a and Fosworks ESC-160, about the same price and no soldering. It is what I am fitting in my IP Engineering Railbus, a couple of bugs needed fixing but should be as good as the Rx 6X, and up to 24 volts.

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Thu May 06, 2021 4:22 am

Jimmyb wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:40 pm Currently I am moving to Microns MR001a and Fosworks ESC-160, about the same price and no soldering. It is what I am fitting in my IP Engineering Railbus, a couple of bugs needed fixing but should be as good as the Rx 6X, and up to 24 volts.
That'll work! Cheers, I'd best get saving, then.. :D
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works