is this track junction possible?

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Norman H
Cleaner
Cleaner

is this track junction possible?

Post by Norman H » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:11 pm

Hi sorry for what is a probably a silly question but if you dont ask you wont find out, I am planning a small garden railway and want a loop at each end with a straight single line between so the loco goes up the straight around the loop, back on the single line, around the bottom loop back up the line and so on so it runs continuosly. I don't want points as I don't want to have to be switching them every circuit, is this possible and if so what is the 'Y' junction I need to do this called ? thanks in advance. regards Norm

philipy

Re: is this track junction possible?

Post by philipy » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:17 pm

Hi Norman, yes it is possible although I've never needed to do it myself. You need sprung points where the points are set one way and held in place by a light spring which is weak enough to give when the train approaches from the 'wrong' direction.
There have been odd discussions about it on here before and you may be able to find them using the search function. Probably somebody will be along who can help from personal experience.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:41 pm

Hi Norman
As Philip says, you will need points at the start of each balloon loop (as they are called) but if you use Peco points or something similar, then they will switch over under the pressure of the wheels from the train as it passes out of the loop

Alternatively, you could use light springs as Philip suggests

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Norman H
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Norman H » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:27 pm

Thanks Guys, as you've probably guessed I am totally new to this, I have some mamod points I'll take the mechanism off them so they are as free as possible and experiment with those, and thanks for info re 'ballooon loop' everday is a schoolday :)

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:06 pm

Alternatively you could go for the no moving parts option...
Attachments
FixedBladeTurnout2.jpg
FixedBladeTurnout2.jpg (34.96 KiB) Viewed 4988 times

Norman H
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Norman H » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:45 pm

That looks great Tony, What is it called? so I can look to buy a couple online, regards Norm

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:57 am

Norman H wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:45 pm That looks great Tony, What is it called?
A fixed blade point, I believe.
Norman H wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:45 pm ... so I can look to buy a couple online
Good luck with that.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:43 pm

As Tony says, not much chance of buying one off the shelf. You could get a bespoke one made, but the easiest and probably cheapest way of doing it would be a modfication of a standard Peco point. Shorten the blades to allow flanges, then solder small bridges between the stock rails and blades.
Philip

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:11 pm

I used Y points at each end with no springs,
The first train ran through the points and pushed them aside to pass through and go around the loop and they were left set at that route.
When the train, or another train, returned it went around the loop in the opposite direction and set the points to the opposite direction again as it left the loop.
The same happened at the other end so when the train returned to the first point it again pushed through and the sequence began again.

I will be using the same again on a spur line that I am building.

It adds a little bit of interest to have trains traveling in different directions as they go round the loops.

To add extra interest I have seen trains with wagons painted in different liveries on each side so that when they return it appears as if it is a different train, 2 for the price of one.

The biggest thing is to ensure the point blades move freely.

Hope I haven't confuse with my long winded description.
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:30 pm

Duplicate post removed
Last edited by GAP on Sat May 01, 2021 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

Norman H
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Norman H » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:13 pm

Thanks Gap and to everyone else, I messaged a guy off you tube who has a layout doing what I want to do and he has used peco points with the spring wire mechanism removed and it works great so I've ordered a pair of peco points.

Irish_Steve
New User
New User

Post by Irish_Steve » Sat May 01, 2021 1:54 pm

Just spotted you mentioned using Mamod points, just a warning, they are NOT suitable for reverse running, as the blade system will cause a massive derail if you run into the junction with the point set aginst the track you are entering on, as the blade will not be aligned with the frog. If you want to use Mamod points for this sort of changeover, you will have to find a way to switch the point using some form of sensor in the track, and an appropriate switching system.

I've used Mamod points for years, and as long as you always check the route, they're fine, but if you forget, the result will always be a locomotive off the rails.

The other warning with Mamod points is that if you're running bigger than a Mamod locomotive over them, (like a Roundhouse Fowler) depending on the nature of the junction, you will end up having to remove the operating lever mechanism to prevent the overhang of the locomotive from fouling on them.

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Tue May 11, 2021 9:20 am

As an alternative to springs you can use a small weight to hold the turnout blades closed, but small enougth that a train passing through will lift the weight. A friend has some on his 0 gauge garden line. One problem with either weighted or sprung points they can be a problem if you stop a train halfway through a try to reverse. Ever seen a coach doing the splits one bogie on each track!

Don