MOD Powder van doors.

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

MOD Powder van doors.

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:38 pm

I've just opened up a kit for an IP Engineering MOD Powder van and noticed on the instructions it shows that the doors look to be one piece. I have look through the kit but can only find the sides of the wagons come in eight separate parts. Is this correct?

pippindoo
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: MOD Powder van doors.

Post by pippindoo » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:35 pm

Yes, 2 ends, and each side is made up of 2 side panels and a double door section in the middle. I have one which I slightly altered the stripwood framework on and its now in use as a fish van! I have some sloping vents to add still.
As the instructions show, the 'doors' section overlaps the edge of each side panel then stripwood adds support. I used some scrap timber from the kits frets on the inside of the van to add extra bracing. It's a rigid box once the glue dries
SAM_6974.JPG
SAM_6974.JPG (89.29 KiB) Viewed 3313 times
IMG_20210131_133041.jpg
IMG_20210131_133041.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 3313 times
Last edited by pippindoo on Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pippindoo
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pippindoo » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:52 pm

I also have a couple of the same vans made up as standard box vans but I sanded the ends to a curve and fitted a one piece roof
IMG_20190405_162634.jpg
IMG_20190405_162634.jpg (316.81 KiB) Viewed 3312 times

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:24 pm

Those are two very nice and simple conversions and look very good. Thanks for sharing.
Philip

pippindoo
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pippindoo » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:44 pm

Cheers Phillipy. I like the IP kits that are made a bit chunkier to match the slightly larger Accucraft locos, and have adapted a few of them quite simply. In this photo, all the coaches were the same kit but by positioning the door handles and roof vents differently, and scoring a couple of extra door gaps, I ended up with First and Second class coaches. First have 3 compartments, Second has end and longitudinal seating, space to get the goats and chickens on! Then I did the same again and added window bars and a chimney, which has since fallen off!, to make a passenger brake van. If you 'stretch' the bottom photo, you'll spot the handles on the double doors. Adds a bit of variety!
SAM_4948~2.JPG
SAM_4948~2.JPG (451.02 KiB) Viewed 3305 times
SAM_4947.JPG
SAM_4947.JPG (445.4 KiB) Viewed 3305 times

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:51 am

They look good. As does your railway. Very nice!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:10 pm

Right, cheers. Looks like a got a dodgy kit as I have no double doors. Either that or I've somehow lost that bit which is equally plausible.

It's not a major issue as as I wasn't actually going to use them as doors but to cut them down to go flush with the end parts as, I plan to also modify mine but as a grain wagon

Thank you.

I love your work btw, I find IP Engineering kits great because though thryvare basic really do allow fir conversions. I have 5 standard van which will be converted for different duties and I'm rebuilding my brake van to sonething more individual, so watch this space.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:51 pm

Sylvian Tennant wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:10 pm Right, cheers. Looks like a got a dodgy kit as I have no double doors. Either that or I've somehow lost that bit which is equally plausible.

It's not a major issue as as I wasn't actually going to use them as doors but to cut them down to go flush with the end parts as, I plan to also modify mine but as a grain wagon

Thank you.

I love your work btw, I find IP Engineering kits great because though thryvare basic really do allow fir conversions. I have 5 standard van which will be converted for different duties and I'm rebuilding my brake van to sonething more individual, so watch this space.
If you are missing something from the kit, it's worth sending Ivan an email at IP Engineering. In my experience, he's always happy to supply anything which is missing or damaged.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube