List of Suppliers

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

List of Suppliers

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:26 am

Hello all,

Whilst looking for a suitable vehicle for my momentum van project recently I was searching the 'interweb' for suitable candidates. Remembering all the various suppliers we have available to us is no small feat, made worse by the fact that my memory isn't good at the best of times! It led me to wonder - do we have a list of all the suppliers available to us on this wonderful forum of ours?

Many are old and familiar names which most of us will have at the tip of our tongues (Brandbright, IP Engineering, Slaters, etc) but there are very many much smaller or less obvious names out there and some who may only manufacture one or two 16mm products within a much larger range.

I've no idea of how a list could usefully be produced on here but I thought it would at least be a talking point. Creating a table of some sort which could be added to, updated or amended as manufacturers come and go would be my first thought but I've no idea how to achieve that on here, or even if it's possible. I'm sure others will have a much better idea. No doubt it will need someone to co-ordinate it all too. I'm happy to help out there if anyone out there is good at teaching old dogs new tricks!

CFLR ANdrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Re: List of Suppliers

Post by -steves- » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:00 am

What about the list on the 16mm Association site? Unser Suppliers of the page below.

https://www.16mm.org.uk/resources/useful-links/

EDITED TO REMOVE THE DRAFT LIST FROM THIS POST, to avoid confusion with 'official' list in the Suppliers board.
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:01 am

Soar Valley Light wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:26 am Creating a table of some sort which could be added to, updated or amended as manufacturers come and go would be my first thought but I've no idea how to achieve that on here, or even if it's possible. I'm sure others will have a much better idea. No doubt it will need someone to co-ordinate it all too. I'm happy to help out there if anyone out there is good at teaching old dogs new tricks!
Excellent idea, Andrew. Well volunteered! :lol:

Creating the list would be relatively straight forward I would have thought, simply needs a new thread and a list in a post on the Suppliers board.. Updating it would simply require the OP to 'edit' his original post.
The problem would come with knowing when a manufacturer/supplier stops manufacturing/supplying because they rarely advertise the fact, they simply stop in most cases. I think the only way to cover it would be for the list coordinator to regularly scan each site on the list.

just my off the cuff first thoughts.
Philip

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:38 pm

Wow Steve,

That's better than a good start - it's pretty much job done! Thanks for putting in all that effort. Not being a member I never thought about the 16mm site.

Philip,

I don't have access to the Suppliers board. when I click on it it tells me I don't have permission to view or post, am I doing something wrong? It's the obvious place for a list as you suggest.

CFLR Andrew

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:52 pm

Soar Valley Light wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:38 pm
Philip,

I don't have access to the Suppliers board. when I click on it it tells me I don't have permission to view or post, am I doing something wrong? It's the obvious place for a list as you suggest.
Andrew,
I'm not sure what the problem is tbh. I believe that board was locked, but Rik said on another thread yesterday that he had unlocked it. Perhaps when he ( or Steve) reads this they will investigate. I've had a look but not sure what to look for myself.
Philip

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:21 pm

I have changed the forum permissions on the board and people should now be able to use it.

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:48 pm

That's better than a good start - it's pretty much job done! Thanks for putting in all that effort.
Err, don't think its job done though Andrew.
There are no contact details and most of the entries are duplicated and require editing, plus I think some do no longer exist.
Philip

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:01 pm

If you leave it with me for a while I will sort out all the hyper links and post it all up so it all makes more sense, that was a literal copy and paste just to show there are quite a few.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:28 pm

philipy wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:48 pm

That's better than a good start - it's pretty much job done! Thanks for putting in all that effort.
Err, don't think its job done though Andrew.
There are no contact details and most of the entries are duplicated and require editing, plus I think some do no longer exist.
Hi Philip,

You're right, forgive me if I suggested it was. I was already at work on a cleaned up, tabulated version of Steves very useful list when you posted - and I was still working away on it when Steves posted so I missed both until just now.

I've now got access to the Suppliers board, thanks. Having discovered I couldn't post a table from word into a post (as a table) I've run through the list again and made a long hand version which I hope is readable (which is why it's taken all evening). I would say that it remains a work in progress but at least there is something there now to update and add to - but not tonight. ;)

CFLR Andrew

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:34 am

Don't know if I can post this but....

:thankyouyellow Andrew a very :goodpost ... :salute:

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:09 pm

Hiya!
As I read this.. There should be a list (probably needing work?) which I would assume to be in the 'bottom' section of the index.

I don't see anything there? - Is it me, or are you working away in the background?

Thanks,
PhilP.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:39 pm

Phil.P wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:09 pm Hiya!
As I read this.. There should be a list (probably needing work?) which I would assume to be in the 'bottom' section of the index.

I don't see anything there? - Is it me, or are you working away in the background?

Thanks,
PhilP.

You should be able to see it here?

https://gardenrails.org/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=13215

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:27 pm

Absolutely wonderful Andrew, many thanks for the time and effort you have put into this, I will be using this regularly as I always forget where I got items from in the past, so the product description guide will be so useful.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:07 am

It should of course go without saying that if anyone knows of a supplier who really ought to go on this list, or to be removed from the list, or who's details have changed, please let SVLR Andrew know, so that he can keep on top of things.
Philip